help me think...

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
What other things can you think of that have been "digitized", stored or played on computers or drives or anything like that:

Stuff like:

Music, movies, talking, letters, art, photos, pictures, books, recipies, games, knowledge, history, news, sex, money...

what else can you think of that has been or could be completely digitized?

What are you up to? What point are you trying to make.

(I just want to see if I can help.)

medical records, I see those huge files becoming a thumb drive of sorts.

for those that work in an office, those white boards will be digital and down loadable.

In the far future all of our vehicle information will be digitized and when Leos ask for our stuff we can hand them a disk and they can plug it into their computer.

When it comes time to renew we will update the data over the net.

oh and ofcourse money will be digital, once they solve the security features.

(heavybusa @ Jul. 10 2007,08:56) oh and ofcourse money will be digital, once they solve the security features.
Money aleady is digital. I use a debit card more than cash.

That my friend is the tip of the iceberg, there will be no paper currency

account information will be housed in cell phones and PDAs, you can give your friend 5 bucks and pay for stuff at the click of a button.

We already have technology to do this, right now you can get a coupon on your phone and scan it at the register with out any paper.

(Revvv @ Jul. 10 2007,08:40) What are you up to? What point are you trying to make.

(I just want to see if I can help.)
I'm slapping around an idea for a short story that includes the losses suffered by humanity after an EMP [electromagnetic pulse] style weapon kills everything electrical and magnetic. It's a Twilight Zone style affair with some twist endings so I don't wanna reveal all right now.
smile.gif

I also thought of:

Diaries [blogs etc], communication, religion, prejudice, hatred, love, lust, envy

keep them coming, I want to try to find EVERYTHING that gets digitized

oh dont forget jails, arent the locking systems electronic? and the records we keep in the court system

Sattelites, control systems for sewage and water plants, Hospitals,
radar, ATC, ship navigation. Basically all communication through digital means. Some heart monitors and valves, internal components are digital now.

Basically, you better have weapons, becuase the world will spin into chaos
and your neighbors are either going to join you or turn on you in a most basic primal way.
beerchug.gif
Here's to end of days!

How bout time? There arent too many of the all mechanical clocks or watches left now days. An EMP would wipe all the battery powered clocks out.

Some police departments are working on guns that only work with an electronic confirmation of identity (voice, fingerprint, etc).

The cooling systems in nuclear reactor cores are computer controlled... (I'm pretty sure they have mechanical failsafes however)

Lots of cars these days won't even run without a computer... after an EMP, they'll be dead until they get a new ECU.

okay.... kinda branching into CONTROLLED devices here.... but I'm aiming for things that are totally digitizable... you could REPLACE the physical item with a digital version: IE: Toss old paper photographs because they are retained fully, digitially. See what I mean?

All good answers though. Time is an interesting answer, yet it still exists even if our lil digital watches don't. Good stuff. Thanks! If you're still pondering, post up

Our IT department has been working with the Commissioner of Revenue and the Treasurer offices as well as the GIS department to get all mapping digitized and linked to not only the parcel info, but any attributes such as homes, commercial buildings, assessment info, are the taxes paid and up to date, when was the property bought/sold, previous owner info, photos of your home/business online...I'm not a fan of so much at your fingertips, but it's what the public wants and it's all data obtainable by anyone under FOIA (freedom of information act)...

GIS is a huge realm of newly digitized info; you no longer have to run to the court house and look through dusty old records to find out about a plot of land...  
smile.gif

Also, E-911 and emergency personnel (fire, rescue, police) have digital mapping at their fingertips to locate a destination quickly when en route during an emergency.  When someone calls 911 in most areas, dispatch is linked via that phone record to a myriad of digital info about that particular residence in an instant on the screen in front of them, helping them direct emergency personnel.

Real Estate sales. Used to have to wait for huge books that only came out once a month with listings and now, from any computer, you can see houses that are listed within minutes. Writing contracts and selling/buying houses is som much easier now. I can research a house and buy one in my underwear, it is great!!

Back