Hey any help with this? Had enough.

8Daytona8

Donating Member
Registered
Any found a good way to stop smoking
rock.gif
been doing it for forty years now. Time to put em down while i can still breath!
crazy.gif

I quit 4 years ago last week. Make no mistake, once a smoker, always a smoker. I still get cravings now and again, but I know if I have one, I'll be back to a pack a day.

I went cold turkey. The physical withdraw only lasts 3-5 days. Warn you significant other, because that 3-5 days is a beotch and you will be a nasty SOB through it. Other forms of nicotine intake (patches, gums, etc) only stretch out the physical withdraw, but may make it more mellow if you have to be around others.

After that it's all mental habit, which is harder to break. The one thing that helped me was taking 2 weeks off and getting out of the normal routine. Not doing any of the normal habbits made it easier not to do the smoking habit.

Good luck and stay strong.

Good info! Thanks the taking time off to do nothing like a ride on the bike to anywhere! seems to be a good idea. Never could keep one lite @ say 85mph. Got up this morning keyboard batteries went dead, couldn't get it to reconnect, lost drivers etc etc! Was just about to smash everything. shut it down took a break and on this of many reboot it fixed itself and works. Lucky for me. Time to kick butt B4 it does me. Thanks

I too am a smoker and am going to try to quit
My dad quit by doing things you cant do while smoking -- said he took like 6 showers a day for the first week.

I went patches-to-gum-to-free in about 3 months....10 years ago. Be prepared for extreme stress during that period...especially since your a little older now. Nicotine in modern cigarettes is a powerful genetically engineered drug designed specifically to target the addiction center in your brain. No, I'm not kidding. And don't kid yourself, what your about to do may be one of the most difficult things you will ever do. Prepare yourself (and the people around you) for the battle ahead and take BusaWhipped's words for real....you (we) will always be a smoker.....you just choose not to smoke anymore.
Congratulations on your choice to live and the very best of luck to you.

I went to my doctor to quit chewing.I got a prescription for Bupropion. IT WORKED!!. You may gain a little weight but that's alot better than the alternative. GOOD LUCK!!

Cold turkey, and the true desire to quit. My Father and Father in Law quit cold turkey when my first born came home. I didn't allow smoking in cars or house. The wife quit when we started dating for the same reason. I didn't make anyone do anything, I just didn't like smoke and didn't allow it in my homes or cars.

The wife left me in October after 25 years and has started smoking again. As far as I know the Father in Law hasn't smoked in 22 years and I know my Dad doesn't.

The wife left me in October after 25 years and has started smoking again.[/Quote]
If you never smoked than you won't understand. Addictions are forever. Staying free of them is done day-to-day  
wink.gif

Almost twenty years of smoking I quit cold turkey. I have been clean for about 3-4 years now. Occupy your time with things that prohibit smoking. I worked out a lot, that did it for me. Working out also drove away being jittery and nervous. I quit smoking AND got in shape at the same time. I will tell you it is not easy for most.

Hang in there man, you can do it.

I knew a gal that quit cold turkey. she's doing great with it. never looked back. I guess if you can do it cold turkey, it means you are being serious to yourself
smile.gif
Good skills. That habit's KILLER. Literally.

another part might be to have a REPLACEMENT HABIT like gum, drawing pictures, spitting.. whatever.... something ELSE you enjoy to reach for if a craving starts.

I don't smoke but have a buddy that quit cold turkey. Someone told him to cut pieces of straws and carry them around. He would hold them like a cigarette and chew on them, he used regular gum too. It helped deal with the mental addiction part.

To prevent future generations of cigarette customers (junkies), the tobacco companies should be put out of business. Just my $.02.
rant.gif

(Ride_or_Fish @ Jul. 07 2007,14:35) To prevent future generations of cigarette customers (junkies), the tobacco companies should be put out of business.  Just my $.02.    
rant.gif
Tobacco isn't a "company" its an "industry" with the government as its single greatest benefactor.
BTW: Smokers aren't junkies, otherwise they would get fully funded rehab and counseling rather then just social scorn
wink.gif

Get your doctor's help. If you quit cold-turkey, you can cause yourself some medical issues.

--Wag--

Glad you guys are quitting, i hate to see people smoke, their just shortening their own lives.

My dad smoked AND chewed, and you can't ask him why he quit, "if you know what i mean."
wow.gif

See your doctor and ask about Chantix. Expensive but very good stuff. Nothing will help you quit unless you have the absolute desire to do so.

Good Luck!!!
Chantix

Quit cold turkey myself 17 yrs ago. All good advice given above by ex-smokers. My wife and I decided it was best not to raise kids in a "smokers" environment and thank goodness neither of our kids (27 & 22 yrs old) smoke. Matter of fact they think it's disgusting. I have heard good things about the laser treatment although I'm not exactly sure how that works.

Back