Is this right? 3500.00 ticket

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Virginia's new $3,550 speeding ticket

Traffic offenders face whopping additional fees that live on long after they've paid their fines. It's part of a growing 'driver responsibility' trend that targets chronic offenders.

Traffic patrols have long been known as roving tax collectors. But in Virginia, they really are collecting taxes.

Starting July 1, an array of traffic offenses, from expired licenses to speeding, come with a "civil remedial fee" attached. That means a motorist convicted of reckless driving (75 mph in a 55 zone would qualify) faces not only a fine of up to $2,500 and a year in jail, but a non-negotiable $350-a-year tax for three years. The law forbids judges from waiving or reducing the fee.

Many fees dwarf the fines. A driver who disobeys an officer's order to pull into a weigh station would be fined $35 and required to pay a $61 court processing fee. But the civil remedial fee would be $900 over three years.

Drunken driving? A fee of $1,000 a year for three years, plus fines and court costs. No insurance? That's $300 a year for three years, plus fines.

It doesn't stop there. Anyone unlucky enough to have 8 points or more on his license (reckless driving is good for 6 by itself) would pay an additional $100, plus $75 for any points over 8, up to $700 a year. (For a complete list of fee-carrying offenses, see this .pdf file.)

Such "driver responsibility programs" have become increasingly common for two reasons: Many states find that serial offenders make up the bulk of their cases, and they simply need the money. In fact, Virginia added a fee rather than increase fines because it wanted the money to improve its roads, and revenue from fines must go to public schools. The fees are expected to raise $200 million a year.

Good God! I guess I'll scratch moving to Virginia off my list of things to do!
mad.gif

Didn't you see the thread from last week?

I've been printing off these new "Civil Remedial Fees" and sharing 'em with every Virginian I know...NONE to date have heard of this new law, in effect as of yesterday...I only found out about it when it was posted up last week!

I'm beyond pissed and can't seem to get my thoughts together very well just yet...I've drafted a letter and the cursing at the end is holding me up LOL

Didn't you see the thread from last week?[/Quote]

No Ma'am I did not see your post......

(captain @ Jul. 02 2007,11:10) Didn't you see the thread from last week?

No Ma'am I did not see your post......[/Quote]
Wasn't mine and I was late jumping in, but once I did, man! I'm just pissed...

Another way for the fat cats to get fatter! Let's just see how much of the money actually makes it into the school system.

(GSXRFANN @ Jul. 02 2007,11:27) Another way for the fat cats to get fatter! Let's just see how much of the money actually makes it into the school system.
Not much I'm sure, but perhaps we should alert every area school to watch for it... LOL

No, this is supposedly to fund Gov. Kaine's "pet project" of a stretch of highway from the north to the South Boston/Danville area...funny, I just drove I-81 and thought that was the way to go, didn't pass many cars either...guess that isn't enough...

Yep its real, and is only valid for Va residents.

People passing threw are exempt.

not that i am saying this is right but this just gives those who are looking for it one more reason not to stop or pull over

(heavybusa @ Jul. 02 2007,08:42) Yep its real, and is only valid for Va residents.

That's what bothers me the most.

Looks like if everyone does the same crime it should be the same fine. It shouldent matter what State you are from.

(hondpwr @ Jul. 02 2007,12:42)
(heavybusa @ Jul. 02 2007,08:42) Yep its real, and is only valid for Va residents.

That's what bothers me the most.

Looks like if everyone does the same crime it should be the same fine.  It shouldent matter what State you are from.
Why? What's so wrong with cops pulling the car with VA tags when the one from NY is doing the same speed?
laugh.gif
You're worth far more!

Don't you suddenly feel like you're being hunted?
mad.gif

damn im glad people passing through are exempt otherwise i they might be missing a few g's in unpaid tickets and just avoid the whole state next time through

wow.gif
  Sounds like a big smelly, steaming pile of.........

Who in the heck thought of this crap. And why are the tax
paying citizens of Va. not contesting this type of gougeing?
Now I live in California and belive me there are some laws
that I just don't understand. But this set of laws really is a form of government abuse..................

sounds like its ripe for a little constitutional challenge but just means I am not relocating back to richmond "officially"

(hayadooin @ Jul. 02 2007,15:04)
wow.gif
  Sounds like a big smelly, steaming pile of.........

Who in the heck thought of this crap. And why are the tax
paying citizens of Va. not contesting this type of gougeing?
Now I live in California and belive me there are some laws
that I just don't understand. But this set of laws really is a form of government abuse..................
Problem is that MOST still don't even know this law has passed and it's on the books; we never heard anything about it until the last week or so and I found out FROM A POST HERE by a guy in CA
laugh.gif

I've been telling everyone and everyone's saying the same thing - how come we didn't hear about this and how is this even possible? They really kept it under wraps 'til it was passed...

I'm doing my part to voice an opinion...I can only hope others follow suit or most show how they feel at the polls in November...

Help! The Virginia Legislature has gone nuts! That's what we get for letting a Dem in as Govenor.

mad.gif

P.

I said the same thing Tom, but the guy that drafted this one up is a Republican AND a traffic lawyer...go figure...

Still working on my letter; I keep drifting off in to just an angry tirade, so I'm re-reading and trying to tone it down a bit LOL That's tough for me...

If I lived in Va...there is no way I am stopping for a $3500 ticket.

I never ran from the police in my life...but I would flee from the Ghestapo.

That is just screwed up, lynch mob time.
guns.gif

Back