went fishing today

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
Here in the neighborhood we have two ponds to fish in.  Today I went down to try my luck but I didn't catch anything (until later).  While I was there I saw three other kids fishing as well.  One of them started flipping his bait near a duck and before I even thought about saying something it happened.  The duck made a lunge for the bait and got it.  All of a sudden he was hooked and trying to get away.  As the kid pulled on the line the duck went the other way after a short fight the kid just cut the line and let him go.  At that point I lost it.  Really cool kid now there is a duck with a hook in his mouth and about 30 feet of line attached to it.   The duck took off to the other side of that pond where two more ducks went up to him.  They swam around with the one kept shacking his head and drinking water.  I watched this for a while and just couldn't stand it anymore.  The kids friends seemed upset and the one that hooked him just sat there and didn't say a word.  So I went home, grabbed my kayak and a fishing net.  I went back to the pond thinking there is no way this is going to be easy.  To my surprise the kids were still there and even better there was a guy and his little girl feeding "all" the ducks.  As I got out of my truck I hear the guy say there is a duck with a hook in his mouth.  I grabbed the net and went down to see what we could do.  At this time the kid that hooked him came over and started talking.  I let him know how I felt about the whole thing and then we started baiting the ducks back in.  I got some bread from the guy and managed to get the duck close enough to step in the water and net it.  As fast as I could I grabbed the duck, held him close and the kid that hooked him in the first place was able to got the hook back out.  I think he knew we were trying to help because once a had a hold of him he sat still until I was ready to release him.  At that point he was gone.  
laugh.gif

I could tell the kid felt bad and we just made the point stick.  These ducks are use to people feeding them and every time he flipped his bait near him he thought it was free food.  I hope they both learned their lesson and keep some distance in the future.
 This is the first time I ever caught a duck.  I just wish it was for a different reason but I'm glad I did it.  
Ok now I'll stop patting myself on the back but I just feel good that I was able to do something to help.  
muscle.gif

I used to fish all the time. I never had the opportunity to catch a duck, goose, or any other form of water fowl. It's not for my lack of trying though.
wow.gif

I was sure this was going to end with duck stew or peking duck
firedevil.gif
laugh.gif

Good job Jim!!
beerchug.gif

(Charlesbusa @ May 22 2007,23:14) I was sure this was going to end with duck stew or peking duck  
firedevil.gif

laugh.gif

Good job Jim!!  
beerchug.gif
laugh.gif
neah, I couldn't do that to the little guy but I should have roasted the kid.
ices_rofl.gif

laugh.gif

poor little ducky i bet for a miute there he thought you were Jim Fowler remember that guy mutual of omahas wild kingdom i can hear Marlin Perkins right now "I'll fly around up here while Jim wrestles a 400 pound andaconda" Jim almost krocked on that one

good save!!!
smile.gif

(ozz @ May 22 2007,23:36) poor little ducky    i bet for a miute there he thought you were Jim Fowler     remember that guy    mutual of omahas wild kingdom         i can hear Marlin Perkins right now   "I'll fly around up here while Jim wrestles a 400 pound andaconda"    Jim almost krocked on that one        

good save!!!
smile.gif
laugh.gif
thanks

Good job man, you did the right thing. I had a seagull come down and snatch my bait right out of the ocean once. He actually got up in the air too and for a few seconds I had a seagull kite thing going on. I jerked the line and luckily it fell back in the water. So what does he do? He goes after it!
rock.gif
I reeled the line into shore and off he flew.

nice job
beerchug.gif
don't have anything against hunting and fishing (i've done plenty myself) but i hate to see an animal suffer

LET'S HERE IT FOR THE DUCK "E.M.T." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
super.gif

super.gif
,  or the E.D.T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
super.gif

super.gif
...........NICE JOB on the intiative of helping GOD, "help" his duck out............

Wow, that was really cool of you, and there's a real happy duck out there somewhere......just doin' what ducks do...."Quack".....:29  
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

Its good to know that there are people still out there who will go out of there way to help an animal. My uncle was a PA game warden all his life and he was extremely militant about animal cruelty and gaming laws. He passed a few years ago but he would have given you much respect and told you all of the secret hunting and fishing spots for your service to the animal... The kid he would have fined and probably taken all his equipment! If it was warranted.
bowdown.gif
Being partially raised and educated about the outdoors by a avid fisher and hunter who is was also a game warden gives you a different perspective on most if not all outdoor activities. KUDOs to you for being a good person!

(jessup @ May 23 2007,07:46) Its good to know that there are people still out there who will go out of there way to help an animal.  KUDOs to you for being a good person!
+1

I'm an avid "animal do-gooder" much to my husband's dismay LOL  ...wrestle the cat for a snake, mole or mouse, then nurse the little guys back to health in some box in a bedroom LOL

I haven't even had to snag a duck though; that's a new one to me!  
smile.gif

Sweet & Sour Duck with snow peas on the side! Yum!

Nah, seriously, seeing an animal suffer needlessly is simply not cool. It just kills me to hear of hunters wounding animals because they took no thought to sight in their rifle or just never learned what kill zones to use, etc. etc.

Glad you helped out, man, most especially for educatin' an ignernt kid. You deserve an attaboy.

Attaboy, jwcfbd!

--Wag--

+1 on all the comment people have made. You are a standup guy my friend like most people have said already there are not to many people that would have gone out of there way to do this for a duck. Like most others I am a hunter and fisherman to and my dad and grandpa always told me if you kill it you eat it and if you miss treat it then we will bust your A$$ and take away your privilage. So with that said great job helping out the duck man some one should have taken that kids fishing pole away for a while that way it would have really driven the point home about not mistreating animals. YOU ROCK BRO
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

Thanks everyone.
You have no idea how happy I am that I was able to do something to help. I love fishing and always try to keep my line where it belongs. I feel bad when my line breaks and I see the fish swim off with a hook in it's mouth but there is nothing you can do about it. When I saw the duck swim off with the line still attached all I could think about is what is going to happen if he tries to fly.

Back