Busa Bird Cam...

BusaCruise

speachless
Donating Member
Registered
There was a link provided a while back (can't find the thread) where the state of PA has a Hayabusa Falcon nest under some fixed web cams...

the link to the page is HERE!

but the real news is that there are now 2 EGGS in the nest!
The page is information updates and such as what to look and and expect.

I visit once or twice a week.
There is more brooding expected in the immediate future for tighter egg laying intervals.

BC

There's also a nest on one of the buildings in Pittsburgh, PA, and they keep a monitor in a window at the street.

Not sure if it was in Pittsburgh, but I recently heard that there was a fight to the death between two males, and one was decapitated.

Maybe this was it, although I thought it was more recent than 2003; from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette online:  

Friday, April 18, 2003

By Don Hopey, Post-Gazette Staff Writer

Boris, the founding father of Pittsburgh's peregrine falcon revival, is dead, decapitated near a nest box on a 37th-floor ledge of the Gulf Building where he had sired and helped raise 40 young since 1991.

His killing, most likely by a rival male falcon in a dispute over the nesting site, caps a tumultuous spring on the Downtown skyscraper, played out like a feathered "I, Claudius" episode, with two male and two female falcons coming and going and courting and returning and courting throughout the spring.

There have been at least two different egg clutches laid by two females, with another most likely on the way, the result of a union between Boris' female companion since 1998 and his killer.

Although no one saw the falcons fight to the death last Thursday night or Friday morning, that remains the most likely explanation for Boris' demise, said Charles Beir, the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy's natural heritage director. Another possibility could be a fight with a great horned owl, but Beir said that is less likely.

He said decapitation is instinctual for peregrine falcons. As part of their feeding behavior, falcons capture other birds -- some as large as a duck -- with their talons and snap their heads off using a special notch on the upper mandible of their beaks.

"I know of no other occurrence where a falcon has been decapitated," Beir said. "It could have happened in any mix. It just comes down to one bird having the advantage over another and overpowering it."
The killing was not caught on tape.
Beir said there has been competition for nesting sites in Detroit, Columbus and Pittsburgh. In Columbus last year, one female falcon killed another female but didn't decapitate it.

In the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, rival male falcons fought over the nesting site on the Cathedral of Learning.
The public can follow the drama atop the Gulf Tower and also at the University of Pittsburgh nest site on the Cathedral of Learning on the Conservancy's Web site: www.paconserve.org

This particular camera is in Harrisburg.

lurk.gif

woot! 3rd egg laid....birdie busas abound. too bad the mortality rate is so high in their first year.

up to FOUR eggs now...

I put this together....no audio.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w21.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/BusaCruise/Busa%20Related/bird/1175703725.pbw" height="360" width="480"></embed>

I just hope this latest blast of cold air does not ahve much of an effect on the eggs.

Looks like these are some of the final updates for this year's Falcons...

4 of the 5 eggs hatched, and already one has been killed.

7/3/2007 :: Live Stream Vodeo Contract Extended
Commonwealth Media Services has decided to extend the falcon video viewing period. The live stream will be provided through the 16th of July. The remaining juveniles have been seen more often at the ledge in the morning and evening hours. By the end of July we expect them to begin wandering far and wide as independent young raptors.
6/28/2007 :: Fledgling Update
The green-banded male fledgling was found dead near Capitol Park on Sunday, June 24th. The cause of death was likely the young bird striking glass panels located between the park and a downtown mall. Such panels and large windows have proven to be the most significant mortality factor for raptors in urbam settings. The red-banded female seems content to spend time at the ledge, waiting for food drops. The yellow-banded male and blue-banded female are fully engaged in flight and hunting lessons given by the adults.
6/25/2007 :: Green-Banded male found
One of the four young falcons that fledged from the nest at the Rachel Carson State Office Building in Harrisburg last week was found dead yesterday. The green-banded falcon apparently flew in to a pedestrian bridge over Walnut Street Sunday. It was found by a security guard who took it to the Whitaker Center for safe keeping until it could be identified.

During the last several weeks, the falcons took flight from their nest on the 15th floor. During this time, the parent falcons teach the young how to fly and hunt. It is the most perilous time for the young falcons as they face the dangers of life in an urban setting such as power lines and traffic.[/Quote]

Back