6' Phillips HDMI Cables @ Walmart For $31.44

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
"VIDEO": There is no noticable level of improvement between this HDMI cable and the component cables supplied by my cable company.

"AUDIO": Unless my ears/mind/imagination were playing games with me?...the increase in "Audio Quality" was noticable enough to make me smile...Felt like I was "At A Live CONCERT" on the video/music channels...afterwards?...a little "tweaking in" of my sony xbr's sound system settings made things even better.
biggrin.gif

"Other Notables": Control of the set seemed a bit more intuitive....i.e. while flipping from channel to channel I noticed that it seemed like I could surf far faster...then picked up on that it seemed to take a tad less time for the tube to render an image from the moment i flipped the channel on STB via remote.

"Pros":

1. Increased "Audio Quality"

2. Percievably "Faster Channel Surfing"

3. (1) cable to hook-up instead of (5)

4. Free's up an extra port for other Digital externals.

"Cons":

1. No percievable improvement in "Video Quality" over component cables.

2. Costs $31.44 + Tax

Disclamer: None of this is based on any formal testing..it's all JMHO..but now i know...or?...at least i think i know!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(runeight @ Jan. 16 2007,16:55) Did you set the box to 720i or 1080p?

If it's at 480 no HD..

runeight...
runeight...i set the STB too "Passthru"...as during the set-up procedure the set-up wizard tests all 6 broadcast formats...

1. 480-standard
2. 480-widescreen
3. 480p-standard
4. 480p-widescreen
5. 720p
6. 1080i

and my new dual tuner widescreen set handles all 6 formats...so this is where the "Passthru" feature permits the STB to detect the broadcast format of each channel selected and automatically selects the given format of each individual broadcasted channel and feeds it to the screen as such...and my TV tosses up a momentary banner displaying the feed format of each and every channel selected.

Pretty cool..eh?
biggrin.gif

I recently did a bunch of research on the HDTV and cables. Found out you dont need to spend $100 on an HDMI cable to get great results. I bought an off brand one and it works great! Glad your $31 trip has brought great results as well! HDTV is the best thing about tv right now. I cant stop watching Discovery HD Theater!!

(Sloto200 @ Jan. 17 2007,04:02) I recently did a bunch of research on the HDTV and cables.  Found out you dont need to spend $100 on an HDMI cable to get great results.  I bought an off brand one and it works great!  Glad your $31 trip has brought great results as well!  HDTV is the best thing about tv right now.  I cant stop watching Discovery HD Theater!!
Ditto on the "Discovery HD" channel...it's like venturing around the world from the comfort of home.
biggrin.gif

I needed a HDMI cable about three months ago.

The 12' cable I needed was $45, they had a upconverting DVD player which included a 10' cable for $52.

Didn't need the player, but couldn't pass it up for $7.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the update JINKSTER now I won't have to bother with upgrading my 5yr. old 52" bigscreen just to get an HDMI input for my blu-ray player I'll just continue to use my good 'ol component cables...
biggrin.gif

ps3_revenge.jpg

(macbusa @ Jan. 26 2007,09:28) BluRay is the next BetaMax  
lurk.gif
And just what kind of inside info have ya got there mac to make that statement
rock.gif
Seriously I'd really like to know.

I hope if the bluray and the hd dvd, hang around the price falls quickly.
Last time I checked the players were between 800 and $1000.
Some of the disc were like $50.

I'm betting on the blu-ray because it already has an installed base of over a million units worldwide in the PS3 and they only cost $499 and $599 plus it has a couple of extra perks being a computer and game machine as well
biggrin.gif

(Hy_Rolr @ Feb. 11 2007,02:34) I'm betting on the blu-ray because it already has an installed base of over a million units worldwide in the PS3 and they only cost $499 and $599 plus it has a couple of extra perks being a computer and game machine as well  
biggrin.gif
What's the price on the set top box(BLURAY)

(justtight @ Feb. 11 2007,05:40)
(Hy_Rolr @ Feb. 11 2007,02:34) I'm betting on the blu-ray because it already has an installed base of over a million units worldwide in the PS3 and they only cost $499 and $599 plus it has a couple of extra perks being a computer and game machine as well  
biggrin.gif
What's the price on the set top box(BLURAY)
$800-$1000 like you said that's why I mentioned the lower priced PS3 it has a head start over HD DVD
cool.gif

samsung blu ray player is $599, sony bdp-s1 is between $899-999, Panasonic DMP-BD10 $1099-1299,
Pioneer Elite - BDP-HD1 $1499.

Re: 6' Phillips HDMI Cables @ Walmart For $31.44

Sorry for dredging up a relatively old post here but I have a question. I was shopping for a second HDMI cable for Dishnetwork reciever to TV connection. I noticed on felabay there are dudes selling "Monster Cable 1000 HDMI cables without packaging". Most of the feedback for these guys is great but has anyone on here bought any of these? The real Monster Cable ones sell for like $100 and I see these on there selling for like $20 and wonder how bad could it be? Anybody used em?

for sound ur best bet is to get a home stereo system (not 1 of those theaters in a box) and for sound use optical cable. WORLD of difference.

Back