My future streetrod project...

mjn

Hillbilly Deluxe
Donating Member
Registered
Had this little pickup since I was 7 yrs old. Someday, it'll have a smallblock, tubbed in the rear....a mini pro-street!
80" wheelbase, 48" wide at the doors.

Kinda small. One of the smallest pickups ever made. One of those machines that is so ugly it's cute!

Know what it is?

cros1.JPG

Mr. Kevin Kessler is the winner!!!

1947 Crosley Roundside pickup. Very few still in existence. This one is obviously a LONG way from a driver!

Crosley manufacturing made radios and other electronic devices in this same era..refrigeators and the like. They produced motor cars from somewhere around 1938 until 1953 ish... Made in Cincinati, Ohio, it is an American made car (truck). They made a sedan, a wagon, a panel, and a sports car, (the Hot-Shot). The sedans, panels, wagons and pickups came with a 750cc 4 cyl motor (about 23 hp), overhead (gear driven)cam...alloy block, cast cyl's...the early ones were of a different make-up. 4 speed trans.
I had a panel in high school. Pulled the motor out by myself...(by hand) after removing (I think) 7 bolts.

Pretty cool example of forward thinking on Mr. Crosleys part. No one was interested in a high fuel mileage car at that time in our history...hence the company failed.

I have always thought that it would make a killer mini pro-street. At some time I WILL get started on it.....to do it correctly will cost some serious cabbage...

gotta finish all the shid I wanna do to the Busa first!

Good job Kev! I am impressed!

wow mjn i have one of those to will find pics and post them for u to see it was my grandpas my grandma gave it to me when he passed and i brought it home in the bed of my full size 77 chevy pick up me and six buddys picked her up and loaded her in !! sorry to say mine is not in that good of shape it sat under an apple tree for 20 years mine is the only one i had ever seen untill yours awesome small world!!

Looks cool ! Can't believe it only had 29HP !! How do you think it would do in a race against a busa ,.. with a flat,... bad gas,... slipping clutch,... bent front rim, ..... hey i'm just trying to make it fair!
biggrin.gif

Friend of mine had a Crosley when we were in highschool (late 80's). A VW Bug looked like a limo compared to that thing.
The autoshop teacher let him paint it as a project and it turned out really nice. Whenever the teacher wanted it moved, he'd just have a couple of us pick it up and carry it to wherever he wanted.
One thing that sticks out in my mind was the tiny radio face which fit flush and looked like part of the dash, yet the radio body behind the dash was massive and used tubes...probably accounted for 1/2 the weight of the car
smile.gif
And then there was HUGE speaker nicely planted in the dash next to it.

Very interesting little car and I think it was able to push about 70 mph flat out.

looks like fun to me. Of course I would have to find a busa motor to fit in it and then make a daily driver out of it just for kicks.

But then again, I dont think I would fit in it in the first place.

I have a friend in Moline Ill. who has had a Crosley pickup drag car since the 60s. Its painted hot pink and I think it has a small block chevy in it with full cage and fabricated chassis. It will make a sweet street rod.

Back