The dark side of the web

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I know we all hear the stories, but seriously, if you have older children, boys or girls, it wouldn't hurt to read up on just how many sexual predators peruse chat rooms looking for your kid...how easily they would put themselves near your child if given the chance...

**  Warning, some explicit info contained in the MSNBC article.  It's a long article, but worth the read...it was also recently aired on Dateline...

Internet Predators

I'm investing in 'Net Nanny' because no matter how much you think you're on top of what your kids are doing, they always find a way around your prying eyes...

that's some scary stuff times change and they seem to get in no mater how well you think you have it covered
sad.gif

Yeah I watched that on Dateline...I was not happy.
These people who were on this show were "normal" people. Except the one sicko who came in naked!!! and then showed up the next day at mcdonalds!!!!!!!!!! WTF was that chaos?
rock.gif
??

Thats just sick. Im tempted to set up a fake screen name here on AOL and see what i can come up with. If i get anything like these scumbags, i will take it to my chief.
mad.gif

It's very disturbing to me too...I wished I'd seen the show; probably something every parent should see...

I think about my boss; he used to bring his kids in to work and they'd hop online. He always made a point to tell me that he knew they were safe getting online here because our network doesn't allow access to p0rn, etc...well, all they'd do is hop on AOL chat rooms...one of the kids would have 5 different conversations going at once, popping windows up and down...possible that kid was just chatting with friends, but it only takes one sicko to begin conversations about sex; most kids don't walk away from it...
sad.gif

Just warn your kids...

What have you guys done/plan to do to keep 'em safe? Just watch what they do online or tell 'em "hey, there are sick people in this world...don't trust strangers". I'm thinking I'll do a bit of both when the time comes...my 5 year old can already click around on the web...

I cant believe it! I made a fake screen name on AOL and went into a chat room, i didnt say anything and i already have 2 guys hitting on me. I told them i was a 14 year old girl from Lakeland. 1 guy is 30 and 1 guy is 18. The 30 year old is describing himself to me now, and the 18 year old just asked if i was a virgin!

This is the conversation with the 18 year old

NCWCGOLF1 [10:41 AM]: hey how are you? aslp?
KellyInLakeland [10:41 AM]: 14.f.fl not yet
KellyInLakeland [10:41 AM]: u?
NCWCGOLF1 [10:42 AM]: 18/m/NC...no pic
NCWCGOLF1 [10:42 AM]: what do you look like in detail?
KellyInLakeland [10:42 AM]: im 5'1 100lbs blonde hair brown eyes
NCWCGOLF1 [10:42 AM]: big chested?
KellyInLakeland [10:43 AM]: ummm a little
NCWCGOLF1 [10:43 AM]: size?
KellyInLakeland [10:44 AM]: 34b
NCWCGOLF1 [10:44 AM]: play any sports?
KellyInLakeland [10:45 AM]: uhh i like volleyball
NCWCGOLF1 [10:45 AM]: virgin?
KellyInLakeland [10:46 AM]: yeah
NCWCGOLF1 [10:47 AM]: what are you wearing in detail right now?

I cant believe it!  I made a fake screen name on AOL and went into a chat room, i didnt say anything and i already have 2 guys hitting on me.  I told them i was a 14 year old girl from Lakeland.  1 guy is 30 and 1 guy is 18.  The 30 year old is describing himself to me now, and the 18 year old just asked if i was a virgin!
That is so sad...don't you wish you could lure 'em and have 'em charged?! Probably impossible when you're "John Q Public"

mad.gif

This is the conversation with the 18 year old

NCWCGOLF1 [10:41 AM]:  hey how are you? aslp?
KellyInLakeland [10:41 AM]:  14.f.fl not yet
KellyInLakeland [10:41 AM]:  u?
NCWCGOLF1 [10:42 AM]:  18/m/NC...no pic
NCWCGOLF1 [10:42 AM]:  what do you look like in detail?
KellyInLakeland [10:42 AM]:   im 5'1 100lbs blonde hair brown eyes
NCWCGOLF1 [10:42 AM]:  big chested?
KellyInLakeland [10:43 AM]:  ummm a little
NCWCGOLF1 [10:43 AM]:  size?
KellyInLakeland [10:44 AM]:  34b
NCWCGOLF1 [10:44 AM]:  play any sports?
KellyInLakeland [10:45 AM]:  uhh i like volleyball
NCWCGOLF1 [10:45 AM]:  virgin?
KellyInLakeland [10:46 AM]:  yeah
NCWCGOLF1 [10:47 AM]:  what are you wearing in detail right now?
Lure him to your house Brian, then run over him with your truck!
laugh.gif

If i can get someone from around here, i will take all the istant messages and whatever else i have to my cheif (im a leo now) and see what we can do with it.

If i can get someone from around here, i will take all the istant messages and whatever else i have to my cheif (im a leo now) and see what we can do with it.
See how sad the situation is though? You could have a thousand of us on there trying to "lure" these guys, and you'd have 4000 guys on the line...it's a rampant problem...don't know if there have always been guys/gals (let's not assume it's just men) like this in this number, or has the web just "created the opportunity" allowing on peoples' twisted minds to run wild?

Wonder what the typical parent can do if they see this? It's considered entrapment, correct?

as long as i dont start it, then its not entrapment. If i let someone else begin the sex talk, then its ok. If i were to solicit, then i would be wrong and it would be thrown out.

I blame moral corruption.

Thanks for posting this VA. SO MANY people have no REAL clue what goes on. We can't PREACH about this stuff enough

as long as i dont start it, then its not entrapment.  If i let someone else begin the sex talk, then its ok.  If i were to solicit, then i would be wrong and it would be thrown out.
...ahhh, thanks for the clarification Brian...makes sense...

Doesn't take long to get 'em talking to "you the 14 year old gal" does it? Pathetic...

WWJD, THIS IS INDEED MORAL DECAY...it's a seedy underworld that I almost can't believe exists...I know adults do it for entertainment, but adults praying on kids...
mad.gif

I posted it because I'm worried about bringing up kids...today this just struck me...I'm sure there are many children that go through being abused and molested at the hands of these "people" and it never makes the news...the statistics would likely scare the crap out of parents if we knew 'em...

All scary stuff. This is the trouble with society, and with the internet generation these pervs can flourish.

In society I suppose its nothing new. I like to educate my kids as best I can about these sorts of things, but I don't want them to get to the point that they think its a terrible/nasty world out there. In someways it is, but I don't want to completely burst their bubble.

The only other thing I do, is to try and encourage them to do the things that we did as kids - playing in the garden, making things, riding bikes
smile.gif
rather than spending too much time on the internet, or the telly.

If we can use the internet for good purposes, then its great, if they can learn that too... well that would be great too.
smile.gif

smile.gif

You have to control it from your kids side. There are just too many of them out there to catch (isn't that sad). They look and act just like church deacons when they are in public. You guys saw that BTK guy talking about himself, just like he was running for office.

it's a seedy underworld that I almost can't believe exists...I know adults do it for entertainment, but adults praying on kids...
mad.gif
add this in also: this is a small portion of the things WE KNOW ABOUT... there's 10 times this going on [in other ways] that we DON'T know about

Back