sv1000s

race1gun

Donating Member
Registered
my best friend fell in love with my busa and wanted one very bad but he told me didnt know how to ride well so i talked him out of it and into a sv1000 (he wouldnt have a katana) that was what i first tried to get him to buy. so i rode it home from the stealership and we went to a big parking lot and he is haveing a lot of trouble getting it going and rideing it it fell over once (real slow) and broke a blinker (bummer) he is very bummed out and said his pride was hurt real bad. a bunch of kids skateboarding laughed and he hawed much . too young for me to stomp. anyway he said his wrists hurt real bad and he feels as if he made a mistake. at this point i need advice , did i do wrong by thinking he could handle the sv? i rode it and it is no Busa. i feel with a little practice he will get it. the msf course here is no good they dont care if you can ride or not they just focus on rules of the rode. any advice would be great. is he in way over his head with the sv?? my friend that races for suzuki said he belives he is. now im bummin thinking i may have hurt or killed my best friend by not insisting on the katana 500 or gs 500. so after sleeping on it i woke up and said to myself the busa board is probably my best bet for advice so here i am BUMMIN >>>RAce1gun

...any 1000 is kida big for a biginner!! A smaller bike would have been much easier to learn on... Well now that he has taken it, there is only two things to do... Exchange it for a smaller bike, and learn how to ride, or stick with this one... ask a tuner to underpower it and learn how to ride!!

Quitting is not an option!! Advice your friend not to take it to heart if a couple of lame dumb a$$ bastids laughed... we have all taken a fall when we first tried to ride a motorcycle. Its a part and parcel of learning! I suggest he put on some real good gear and continue to go to those parking lots...

If the MSF course is no good... I suggest your friend findsanother course that does teach him well and take it!!

biggrin.gif

Well, I guess you are at least happy you talked him out of the Busa.

Any possibility of getting a smaller bike for him to practice the basics on? Maybe a dirt bike or a little street bike. You know, just to learn the controls. Then, back to the SV. I guess sliders are going on that one quick.

Had a neighbor learn to ride on R1 and he's doin fine now. Lots of parking lot time with and a good mix of neighorhood riding for the first few weeks, then it was on the back roads (mostly straight), then gradually into traffic riding... now it's on to the twisties... he's still cautious and respects the bike, but his riding is a whole lot better than 2 months ago.
About the wrists, advise him to use his legs and lower back a little more for support not just resting on his wrists. Had some problems when I first started to ride the Busa from the cruiser, but no issues anymore.
Take his time and keep it fun.

Would have been great to convince him the Kat was the right thing, but that's over and done with now. You just need to keep gettin' him out there to practice. The bike has already fallen so it has the breakin' scratches. Keep him ridin' in parking lots and he'll get it. You may try some 2 up on either bike to show him what it feels like, but don't let him quit!

Is the power a prob for him on the sv? As far as dropping it the katana would have fell in the same situation. There is a book out there. idiots guide to motorcycles dont laugh i read it twice before i bought my bike and its full of life saving tips. Just make sure your bud gets a lot of parking lot time before he hits teh street and if the power is a prob put a smaller sproket on teh back and larger one on the front. Dont trade teh bike in though casue the raping that he will get from teh stealership may be to severe for any man to take

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE don't let him give up
wink.gif
he will eventually get the hang of it.

Here's a look at what is IMO the best bars for the SVS . They happen to be the lowest cost also . They will help him feel more secure and help manuvere at low speed and gain comfort while riding .

Clip-On Risers for the SVS

I wish him the best of luck and that link it a start to help him .

Well, I guess you are at least happy you talked him out of the Busa.

Any possibility of getting a smaller bike for him to practice the basics on? Maybe a dirt bike or a little street bike. You know, just to learn the controls. Then, back to the SV. I guess sliders are going on that one quick.
If he understands the dynamics of riding a bike, this is the best advice. If he does not, then a little scooter is the best way for him to learn these basic skills. He won't have to worry about clutching/shifting, just throttle, brake and balance control. Sounds like you did your friend a favor by talking him out of a Busa, so rest easy.

Its too bad your local MSF trainers are for $hit. I took my wife to one here and after the two days she was riding her own. Now she rides by herself to work. It makes a huge difference. I would not have had the patience to teach her.

The SV was not really a mistake. Its a lightweight bike. Narrow frame. Mostly easy to handle. He just needs more seat time. Period. It would not have mattered if he was on an GS500. As HIM said, it most likely would have happened on anything, and thankg God you talked him out of a Busa....???

Just tell him to stay with it and not get discouraged.

1 should of gotten the sv650 or sv650s or 600 katana, 2 tell him no big deal the best of the best have dropped it, theirs no one here who has not dropped a bike a few times... tell him brush it off and get back on it and keep going... he will get the hang of it... Takes time... and he is young so time is nothing...

He needs to keep the bike dude. Maybe he should have started out with a smaller bike, but he didn't and going to a smaller bike now may just end his urge to ride at all. Sounds to me that he needs to work on clutching. He may want to try starting out in 2nd gear, which will teach him more skill, as far as clutch control and throttle control and syncing the two. Starting out in second gear should prevent him from dumping it, because he will kill the motor before he has a chance to get going and dump it. Once he gets this down he just needs to practice the very basics, as far as cornering at slow speeds, braking, downshifting, use of front brake, etc... As long as he isn't trying to go outside of his capabilities he should be alright.
Practice in an area where you don't have an audience.
Good Luck

Don't worry about the skateboarding kids, they probably don't know how to ride a bike either...

Everyone drops their bikes. My roommate dropped his 650sv about every other time he rode, now he has a gsxr1000 and rides it like an ama rider. All it takes is SEAT TIME and some Responsible riding partners to start him out with. Just don't let him give up!! With some suspension upgrades to that bike it will handle like a dream!!

Remind him to not worry about those skateboard kids, that is why they have skateboards...they are kids...they can't afford a bike.

Back