Whatever happened to "keep right except to pass"

RX1Jim

Registered
Whatever happened to the rule of keeping right except to pass while driving? I had a lot of driving for work this past week, 1480 miles in a few days. EVERYWHERE on thsi trip I got stuck behind idiots driving less then the speed limit in the left hand lane. I am not a speed demon, rarely drive more than 5-10 MPH more than the posted speed limit but everywhere during this trip the roads were backed up due to people sleeping in the center and left lanes. Passing on the right used to bea big no-no but today it is common and often necessary. I observed an enormous number of people texting while driving in bumper to bumper traffic at 60 MPH, people reading books, newspapers, crazy stupid stuff.

cause ppl feel RIGHTEOUS doing the speed limit in the left lane which is illegal in most states. left lane is for passing and u must move to the right otherwise.

No common sense , cell phones , blue tooth , TV's in cars , navigation systems , Kids , other distractions . The list can go on , and on .
Law enforcement rarely tickets anyone for this . Most of them are using their laptops to watch youtube . Driver education is not what it was .
In Texas state troopers don't perform your driving test anymore . Its a non LEO hired by the state aka TXDOT .
My two oldest sons passed the test , and I would still fail them both !

In Texas state troopers don't perform your driving test anymore . Its a non LEO hired by the state aka TXDOT .
My two oldest sons passed the test , and I would still fail them both !
why wud u fail? wats different?

They should just let us mount little baby rocket launchers on our motorcycles so we can blow people off the road when they have their cell phones out, or are being idiots... Some days I think they should also ban mini-vans... but that could be just me who things that... :)

Sugarbear

Happens all the time out here, the trip to Vegas sucks because of these people that refuse to move over. Combine that with 55mph truck traffic and you have a rolling road block.

Slow traffic in the center and left lanes are there as moving road blocks. :laugh: Its mostly ignorance that keeps people in the wrong place at the wrong time. My sister in law commented one day as I was riding along with her on

the freeway one day. She was in the left lane and people were passing her on the right. She said she noticed people looking at her as they passed and didn't know why. I explained it to her and why she should stay out of

the faster lanes unless she was going fast enough to not be an obstruction. She has a PHD and didn't think my explanation had much merit... and I have a CDL and use to be part owner of a trucking business. :laugh:

On a recent trip to the Eureka Springs MnG, I noticed a big difference in how people used lanes based on the state that we were in. People in Kansas were the best about using the proper lane, Missouri was OK, Arkansas people would even pull over on 2 lane roads to let you by. The worst,, my home state of Nebraska, people here literally will try to block you from passing on 4 lane highways and will make a race out of a pass on the 2 lane roads.

My number #1 pet peeve. I've thought I might stroke out waiting for some dolt to move over.

I give them time to notice me first. If they don't move over I make the pass on the right and continue on like it never happened. You can't educate most people that are ignorant of the rules of the road. So, instead of getting frustrated I just pass them and move on. I always feel better after passing a slow poke in the wrong lane. I get to where I want to be while quickly forgetting about the moving road block behind me.

On a recent trip to the Eureka Springs MnG, I noticed a big difference in how people used lanes based on the state that we were in. People in Kansas were the best about using the proper lane, Missouri was OK, Arkansas people would even pull over on 2 lane roads to let you by. The worst,, my home state of Nebraska, people here literally will try to block you from passing on 4 lane highways and will make a race out of a pass on the 2 lane roads.

I witnessed a close call to a head on collision with a tanker truck in North Dakota as two pick ups raced to see who was going to pass who. A few months later I discovered the identity of one of the vehicles.

It was the "Man" that is always preaching "SAFETY" to all he encounters in the oils fields of western North Dakota. His title ? A Conoco Phillips field Superintendent. Name witheld because it really doesn't matter. The point is... what a hypocrite !

I was taught that even if you're driving fast and you're the only car on the highway, you should be in the travel lane, not the passing lane.

And "fast lane" is a misnomer because the speed limit is the same regardless of which lane you're in.

Because the world is now chock full of self absorbed Aholes who have no consideration for anyone but themselves.

Just to throw a quick spin on it,,but should I hurry up and move over even if I'm running the speed limit , so some lawbreaker can zip on down the road?? If I'm doing speed limit, does a speeder have more rights to that lane than me ?? Like I said I don't use the 'passing' lane much except to pass,,but most of the time I have to 'speed' to do that,,:poke:

Just to throw a quick spin on it,,but should I hurry up and move over even if I'm running the speed limit , so some lawbreaker can zip on down the road?? If I'm doing speed limit, does a speeder have more rights to that lane than me ?? Like I said I don't use the 'passing' lane much except to pass,,but most of the time I have to 'speed' to do that,,:poke:

Depends on the laws of the state. Some do a good job at setting a law, and enforcing it so people obey. Some, like New Mexico, set weak laws and rarely enforce them. I'd rather live in the former because at least you know where you stand. But if you live in the latter there are some benefits that go along with the frustration. Like most of the time, you can get away with 10-15 over. In fact if you are not going at least 5-10 over on the highway/freeway you're likely to get run over, shot or both.

Like George Carlin said, The road is full of Aholes and maniacs. Anyone going slower than you is an Ahole, anyone faster is a maniac. Which are you?:laugh:

Because the world is now chock full of self absorbed Aholes who have no consideration for anyone but themselves.

There's something to be said about this reasoning...and you are correct. I've also noticed that it seems people do it 'because they can" and the like thinking they are the sh#t because they can hold up the traffic behind them. It's almost the same as entering traffic at the on ramp with complete disregard of what is coming in that lane, and just pulling out thinking THEY have the right of way...I watched a woman (with a young child), force her way (not speed up or down to merge and not merge at speed) onto the onramp in her Lexus this morning, while a FEDEX double tralier is doing everything he can not to hit her (can't move over car in left lane)...I saw it coming braked early in case he had to go for the side of the road...She immediately go into the left lane and stayed there at the posted speed limit - with a line of cars behind her wanting by...All I could think about was "could I pull in front of her, tap my tail and bring her in so I could talk to her about proper entry to the track?: :)

Depends on the laws of the state. Some do a good job at setting a law, and enforcing it so people obey. Some, like New Mexico, set weak laws and rarely enforce them. I'd rather live in the former because at least you know where you stand. But if you live in the latter there are some benefits that go along with the frustration. Like most of the time, you can get away with 10-15 over. In fact if you are not going at least 5-10 over on the highway/freeway you're likely to get run over, shot or both.

Like George Carlin said, The road is full of Aholes and maniacs. Anyone going slower than you is an Ahole, anyone faster is a maniac. Which are you?:laugh:

:laugh:

You go the speed limit out here and you'll get ran over for sure.Out here even on a small freeway of 3 lanes in each direction(some are 5-7 lanes)and you're doing 70 mph on a posted 70 max speed in a middle lane they'll fly around you on both sides and likely give you the finger on the way by.Good thing homicide is frowned upon or I'd have worn out a pistol barrel by now,A-holes is right.:laugh:

Back