Day 1 of counting calories, exercise and no smoking

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Lots of changes for me starting today. Was planning on starting closer to the beginning of the year but I had knee surgery late last year I and wanted to start all three things at the same time. 14 hours since my last cigarette.... Haven't wanted to beat anyone yet, but the day is still young... LOL.... wish me (or them) luck.

Thanks... I quit cold turkey once before for almost 2 years.... like an idiot I started back, that was 5 years ago..... I'll make it... just have to remember to stay calm, lolol.

Try cycling, it really keeps you in shape without the diet. :laugh:

Cycling in shape.jpg

Cycling in shape.jpg

if you want to loose a lot of weight without much effort, look into Keto.

I lost 40 lbs on it in 3 months and all I did was cut out carbs and load up on more fats. No exercise or change in any other routine - and my meals were not small either.

Prior to this, I had not had much success with any dieting.

Here's a nice forum about the topic where you can read more:

everything about keto

If you don't believe in keto - you should know this is a medical diet used for several purposes, and weight loss is a standard side effect of being on it. This isn't crack pot science.

What is ketosis? What causes ketosis? - Medical News Today

The biggest issue with the diet are people who go on just low carb but don't digest enough fats. That causes your body to generate carbs anyway, so you need fats to make up a large part of the diet for it to work.

good thing I like bacon.

PS: When I started I didn't see any results for the first 8 days and I literally was going to quit when I saw results the next day. Once the weight loss started, it was steady losses daily without any effort.

mysql is absolutely correct. Dr. Atkins diet is the most effective way to lose fat and keep lean body mass. I could recommend a couple of books, "The Program personal evolution" by a colleague of mine, Dr. Andrew Winge goes into the science of keto diets with studies and research debunking all of the myths (i.e. - keto diets are NOT bad for your kidneys, in spite of what you may have heard), also "Fat Fast" which outlines a great way to get through plateaus that occur in the low carb diets. Note, like mysql said, it's not High protein, it's Low Carb - meaning you need protein AND fat, else you go into gluconeogenesis, which slows weight loss. Fats are essential. Working out helps a lot too. I'm down 27lbs since October, and I take the weekends off to go out with my family and friends. Good luck!

I find calories in and calories out, tracking with MyFitnessPal is pretty accurate. You just need the discipline to enter everything you eat and stay within your calorie budget. You can extend your calorie budget way out with aerobic exercise, such as running, swimming, cycling and eat a whole lot of food while still losing or maintaining weight.

Where Atkins, Paleo and low carb diets help, is the hunger urge is much less, but the calories in and out is still the ticket.

In short, exercise makes a huge difference, as it speeds up your metabolism.

You don't need to watch your calories with keto. There's no need for it because fats and proteins will get you full and keep you full. Then theres the situation of insulin production, or the lack thereof with the reduction of carbs. Just eat a healthy sized meal, and don't go overboard.

You could get greater / faster gains by also watching calories, but honestly, I'd worry about losing too much weight too fast by doing so. I averaged ~5 lbs of weight loss a week, that is more than enough for me.

I use the Loseit! app on my phone to track calories, exercise, and nutrients (salt, fat, carbs, fibre, water, protein) and they all have huge accurate databases of about everything you can eat. My Mom is dieting too, and having someone to chat with on the app about goals and weight loss is a huge motivator. Check into that, people who have a support group with them are shown to be 3X more likely to succeed in their weight loss goals. I'm sure the other apps do that too.

Your statement is true - But so unfair to post a picture of someone that has never been fat or way overweight.

Also MOST people - as they age - their metabolism slows down considerable compared to someone in their twenties.

You can ALWAYS get your body back. Good health is more important than anything money can buy. I'm an old guy and I am back at my weight where I was in my mid 20's. I again cycle competitively, licensed in USA cycling and while that keeps the motivation up, the first objective is just health.

Anyway, I just posted her picture because I think she is pretty. :laugh:

I dropped 35lbs. last year by just cutting down on portion sizes,snacks,and bread.Also went from a pack and a half of Camels per day to a half a pack(substituting with the E-cig liquid,saves me $2K per year).

I wish you the best of luck! :thumbsup: Watching several guys going through nicotine withdrawals at work right now, apparently it takes a great deal of will power to quite. Even one of my older coworkers (67) has said that 2 months without a smoke has greatly improved how he feels.

Ok starting on day 2. No cigarette in about 36 hours (I am using the nicotine lozenges to take the edge off), walked 2 miles last night. Reduced portion size for meals yesterday, chose healthier foods and cut out all sodas. Drinking coffee (that's a must or someone will die) and water.

Glad to see your still alive and not in jail for killing someone. :laugh:

Just read something about smoking and basically it boils down to the will to quit. No it will not be easy.
Most things worth doing are not easy.

Just remember that a smoker like an alcoholic is one all their life. An alcoholic is always an alcoholic but chooses not to drink.
One drink and they are back to being an alcoholic. Same with smoking. From Yesterday on you can never touch a cigarette again. That is the hard part.
Your body will start repairing itself after about 72 hours of not smoking - the urges will take longer - but you can do it.
Keep yourself busy if possible and time will pass quicker. Suck on hard candy - it's only about 10-15 calories apiece so it won't hurt you too bad.

Coffee is fine unless it is something that you automatically think about with smoking.

Good luck :thumbsup: You can do it. :please:

RedBusarider,
I associate everything with smoking right now, lol... Thanks for the words of encouragement.

RedBusarider,
I associate everything with smoking right now, lol... Thanks for the words of encouragement.

No problem.

You know that back in the 30's, 40s, and 50's many people smoked and they didn't know the dangers of it.
Now they do. Ever read a pack of cigarettes? Something like ARE HARMFUL TO YOUR HEALTH.
Nowhere that I know if will you find it printed that a few cigarettes a day are good for you, right?

Unlike alcohol in moderation is deemed acceptable in many medical publications. Problem is many people can't stop at moderation.

But back to smoking - either you are a non-smoker or a smoker there is no in-between. You can choose to be a non-smoker. It is a choice and
it will get easier with time - don't give up.

Back