Photo of the century

gurrera

Registered
Some will remember this. Others definitely should watch. This was 1968!!!!

I'm sure you've seen the world's most famous photograph, "Earthrise". It's been on the cover of TIME and on stamps. But did you know it almost didn't happen? This occurred over 45 years ago, on Christmas Eve, 1968. The site below is outstanding. It takes you right onto the module with the 3 astronauts and you hear them as they see it for the first time. (It begins occurring around 3 minutes, 38 seconds.) Just think we were alive and watching when this happened. A picture like this, taken by a human, is not likely to happen even in the distant future.
The Untold Story Of The World's Most Famous Photo

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=dE-vOscpiNc

Gurrera

Crazy stuff...and 45 years ago I was 5. Hard to believe what we accomplished back then. Now look at us.

I was 8 coming up quick on 9. Awesome share, never knew the story behind the pic :bowdown:

Thank you... that was awesome! These kind of moments in the evolution of mankinds explorations reminds me what is good about being alive in this day and age.

The reason that picture is so clear is because they used a Hasselblad.

I have a Hasselblad and used it for many years at weddings - Today's kids wouldn't even know what a Hasslebald is.
Many wouldn't even know what film is either especially what roll film is. Many would have no idea what 250f11 means either.

It will be interesting to see what happens (photographically) in 2068 - but how many of us will be around to see what happens? ???

That was a great few minutes well spent watching that.. Many of my life's best memories were by sheer accident.. Great find, thanks!

250 at f11. They had pretty sensitive film at that time. I was... never mind. Cold war was in full swing, and I still lived on the opposite side of that tiny planet.

Back