Navy plans to sink America

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
The Associated Press (3 March 2005) relayed by MSNBC, had article on Navy plans to sink USS America in order to obtain valuable data for the next generation of carriers.

Navy plans to sink America
Explosive tests will send aircraft carrier to bottom of Atlantic

George Widman / AP file
The aircraft carrier USS America will become the largest warship ever sunk.  

The Associated Press
Updated: 7:24 p.m. ET March 3, 2005
WASHINGTON - The Navy plans to send the retired carrier USS America to the bottom of the Atlantic in explosive tests this spring, an end that is difficult to swallow for some who served on board.

The Navy says the effort, which will cost $22 million, will provide valuable data for the next generation of aircraft carriers, which are now in development. No warship this size or larger has ever been sunk, so there is a dearth of hard information on how well a supercarrier can survive battle damage, said Pat Dolan, a spokeswoman for Naval Sea Systems Command.

The Navy's plan raises mixed emotions in Ed Pelletier, who served on the America as a helicopter crewman when the ship cruised the Mediterranean shortly after its commissioning in 1965.

He said he was "unhappy that a ship with that name is going to meet that fate, but happy she'll be going down still serving the country." Pelletier, of Poughkeepsie, N.Y., is a trustee of an association of veterans who served on the America.

Issues surrounding a vessel bearing the name of its country are often more sensitive than for other ships. In 1939, Adolf Hitler, fearful of a loss of morale among his people should Germany's namesake ship be sunk, ordered the pocket battleship Deutschland renamed for a long-dead Prussian commander.

Up to six weeks of tests
Since its decommissioning in 1996, the America has been moored with dozens of other inactive warships at a Navy yard in Philadelphia. The Navy's plan is to tow it to sea on April 11 - possibly stopping at Norfolk, Va. - before heading to the deep ocean, 300 miles off the Atlantic coast, for the tests, Dolan said.

There, in experiments that will last from four to six weeks, the Navy will batter the America with explosives, both underwater and above the surface, watching from afar and through monitoring devices placed on the vessel.

These explosions would presumably simulate attacks by torpedoes, cruise missiles and perhaps a small boat suicide attack like the one that damaged the destroyer USS Cole in Yemen in 2000.

At the end, explosive scuttling charges placed to flood the ship will be detonated, and the America will begin its descent to the sea floor, more than 6,000 feet below.

The Navy has already removed some materials from the ship that could cause environmental damage after it sinks, Dolan said.

No public viewing of experiments
Certain aspects of the tests are classified, and neither America's former crew nor the news media will be allowed to view them in person, Dolan said. The Navy does not want to give away too much information on how a carrier could be sunk, she said.

Why the America? No other retired supercarriers were available on the East Coast when the test was planned, Dolan said. The others - the Forrestal and the Saratoga - were designated as potential museums, she said.

In a letter to Pelletier's group, Adm. John Nathman, the Navy's second-in-command, called America's destruction "one vital and final contribution to our national defense."

"Ex-America's legacy will serve as a footprint in the design of future aircraft carriers," he wrote.

Although no larger warship has ever been sunk, bigger civilian vessels have gone down. The largest ship in the world, the supertanker Seawise Giant, was sunk by Iraqi warplanes in the Strait of Hormuz during the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s. Fully loaded, it displaced more than half a million tons. It was later refloated and renamed.

Victim of Cold War budget cuts
The America, which is more than 1,000 feet long and displaces about 80,000 tons, exceeds the size of the Japanese World War II battleships Yamato and Musashi, and the carrier Shinano, which all displaced close to 70,000 tons. The Yamato and Musashi fell to American warplanes, the Shinano to a U.S. submarine.

The America was the third carrier of the non-nuclear Kitty Hawk class, and the first to be retired, a victim of post-Cold War budget cuts after 31 years at sea. It launched warplanes during the Vietnam War, the 1986 conflict with Libya, the first Gulf War, and over Bosnia-Herzegovina in the mid-1990s.

Pelletier and other veterans who served on the America said their farewells in a Feb. 25 ceremony at the ship in Philadelphia. Some artifacts have been removed for museums and veterans' groups; in addition, Pelletier's association will place a time capsule on board.

The Navy has several other carriers awaiting their fates. Environmental regulations make breaking warships up for scrap metal largely unprofitable, though some still are dismantled. The Oriskany, a smaller carrier that was commissioned in 1950, is scheduled to be sunk as an artificial reef off the coast of Pensacola, Fla., late this year.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved..
End Report

Thanks to network member Russ Holmes for providing this item.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109960798 -->

Attachments

• 050303_ussamerica_hmed_3p.hmedium
    16.5 KB · Views: 87
On another note, isn't the Navy planning on destroying the USS Kennedy to help free up money for their new fighter jet?

$22 million to DESTROY it?

All you need is a couple of red necks with some bottle rockets and liquor...
laugh.gif

That's kind of sad...
sad.gif

22 million, big deal...

how much health care, retirement funds,or quality policemen could that really buy anyway...

"America,America....

"An' the rockets red glare,
"Bursting in the air craft carrier,
"Blah blah blah.....

hav a over demolitioned 1... RSD

That's a lot of money just to sink a ship, but if they can develop a more battle-worthy vessel from it, then I guess it will pay off. Not sure how, but it might
rock.gif

As a diver, it would be nice to see it used for testing, and then sunk as an artificial reef so that divers could at least tour the wreckage. Somehow, I don't think I'll be veturing down to 6000 ft to look at it......Bastids!
laugh.gif

I would love to be there to see what they are testing on it.. But then if I were there I wouldnt be able to talk about it so I guess it wouldnt matter lol

That's a lot of money just to sink a ship, but if they can develop a more battle-worthy vessel from it, then I guess it will pay off.  Not sure how, but it might  
rock.gif

......Bastids!
laugh.gif
a more "Battle Worthy" vessel. When was the last time some dimshid country actually attacked a US aircraft carrier?

Isn't that like the biggest mistake in the world?

Can't we just tow it to some third world country an' have child slave labour dismantle it,melt it down...

an' use the recycled material to buy Bush a new iron truss.

Being that I have no clue to what they are planning to do, I guess there are no restrictions to my making guess's

I think it is not so much that we are doing this to make more sea worthy vessels, to my knowledge a nuclear explosion could not sink a carrier.

I think we probably are testing some high tech weapon systems that have the capability of totally destroying enemy subs and other enemy ships.

The united states is so far out, that the only thing we really have to worry about are subs getting close enough to launch a strike against us. we need something that can take out a sub as soon as we discover the threat.

And with that, I will leave you with something to research on the internet. There is unclassified information on this if you search for it.

The project is called THEL "Tactical High Energy Laser"

Here is a link   THEL

I don’t know how much anyone has thought about this technology. But it is here, it has been and we are leading in this technology.

The information on that link is naturally all unclassified. Imagine what its true capabilities are.

This is one of the reasons other governments are frantically pursuing there own nuclear projects. We are close to being able to create a virtual shield around the United States. Once we accomplish this we will be pretty much untouchable by large air born strikes.

Anyway, just something for you all to chew on

$22M to sink a ship? Hmmmm...
"....will provide valuable data for the next generation of aircraft carriers, which are now in development. No warship this size or larger has ever been sunk, so there is a dearth of hard information on how well a supercarrier can survive battle damage, said Pat Dolan, a spokeswoman for Naval Sea Systems Command."
Sounds like a bunch of engineers trying to gather more data to prove what has already been proven...

That's a lot of money just to sink a ship, but if they can develop a more battle-worthy vessel from it, then I guess it will pay off.  Not sure how, but it might  
rock.gif

......Bastids!
laugh.gif
a more "Battle Worthy" vessel.    When was the last time some dimshid country actually attacked a US aircraft carrier?

Isn't that like the biggest mistake in the world?

Can't we just tow it to some third world country an' have child slave labour dismantle it,melt it down...

an' use the recycled material to buy Bush a new iron truss.
No, RSD...we ONLY contract out that labor if it's OUTSIDE our borders...oh, and you have to be Kathy Lee Gifford or something...

I do know that it only takes one (1) MK-48 Torpedo to sink a battleship, and the weapon never actually hits the ship. The torpedo goes beneath the vessel, then detonates, vaporizing the water below the keel, and lifting the vessel out of the water. When the vessel falls back down to the water, there's a void below it and this causes the vessel to be supported only on the bow/stern leaving the keel unsuported. This causes the keel to collapse.

During testing, it only took about 2 minutes for the battleship to sink.
wow.gif

A MK-48 Torpedo is filled with 650 pounds of PBX high explosive. They may have newer models now with more power. I haven't been onboard Submarines for about 13 years now.

22Million?
laugh.gif

Hell we have missles we fire by the hundreds that cost more than that. We have Bombs that cost about that.

22million? That's like a $5er to you and I...

God Bless our Defense Budget, Keeps North America Safely tucked in... And hell, pays alot of our bills
thumbs-up.gif

sounds like fun job.

Where do I sign up for sumptin like that?

And do they take crusty old soon to be 40 year olds?

Back