Go-Pro 4

I still think 4k will not stay. Alot of people claimed they couldn't see much difference from CRT to HD. now trying to sell people higher high definition? Just don't see it happening in alot of homes. Maybe when it becomes standard, and cheaper. If it does.

I still think 4k will not stay. Alot of people claimed they couldn't see much difference from CRT to HD. now trying to sell people higher high definition? Just don't see it happening in alot of homes. Maybe when it becomes standard, and cheaper. If it does.
have you seen a 4k TV in person? I have. right up next to Panasonics top end plasma from last year and its a night and day difference. 4k aint goin anywhere! and this was on a 68 inch version. the 50 inch will be even more crisp and clear.

4k is a future format, but in terms of online streaming, i don't think the vast majority of gopro users will need it. Especially since even playing 1080p content on youtube is barely 1080p due to the compression applied; it's more like an upscaled 720p.

have you seen a 4k TV in person? I have. right up next to Panasonics top end plasma from last year and its a night and day difference. 4k aint goin anywhere! and this was on a 68 inch version. the 50 inch will be even more crisp and clear.

I have. I don't think the difference is worth the cost difference. And I have noticed at least one of the very large retailers near me have only 4k on clearance. When do you think cable or satellite will be able to support it either? Right now those dont even look as good as my blue rays. Or is it supposed to just up convert the signal?

4k is definitely an improvement, but it isn't as much of an improvement as we got from 540p to 1080p.

For most people, the extra level of detail is superfluous.

4k is definitely an improvement, but it isn't as much of an improvement as we got from 540p to 1080p.

For most people, the extra level of detail is superfluous.

Yea, I'm not saying there is no difference. Just not enough to get me all excited. Now when forza horizon 2 that came out today can run 4k. I may start my research.

But back to the gopro, I really haven't used mine as much as I thought I would. Wonder how much that LCD touch is gonna effect battery?

The 120 FPS for slow motion is something that might be a neat feature.

30FPS for photos - you should be able to get the perfect shot.

The only thing I wish is that they would produce a model that was not so wide of a view. Instead of it being say 15mm, make a version that is say 28mm.
I know it's a POV camera and all, but everything is so small - like when following another bike you almost have to get right on top of them to see any detail.

The touch screen on the silver which also can be a viewer to frame the video or pictures might be worth looking at too.
So if you don't need or want the 4K the silver might be a better choice.

Price is horrible...higher resolution just means HUGE file sizes,.touch screen means horrible battery life..wont be wasting my money on that...

there is a HUGE difference period! its 4x more clear then HD.

Must be a bad week for you. At least your police argument was based on law, experience, and fact. But I never said there wasn't a difference. And woohoo 4x. Well you enjoy that, because I don't care, and guess what I don't have to. Buy your gopro 4, watch your 4k, and tell everyone your phone is superior to theirs.

And as I said about the gopro4. For me, the biggest upgrade that I would like is more battery, maybe 2 micro sd slots. Not LCD touch screens or higher resolution.

That's not really true.

There are two ways to look at it:

If you're looking at it from the viewpoint of strictly data, then more pixels is more pixels, and higher bitrate means less compression.

But that is bench racing the numbers.

The reality is, there will be increased sharpness, and there will be more details, especially in busy scenes that contain lots of data (like looking at tree leaves), but there isn't four times more clarity on screen. We already see the footage in 1080p pretty damn clear. Seeing the hairs on someone's face in a closeup, or better defined leaves on a tree, adds only slightly more data for the human to consume.

It's the human that matters, not the raw numbers.

silver is better than black. black has no screen. silver has. as stated above, at 4k your battery life wont be very long :/

Price is horrible...higher resolution just means HUGE file sizes,.touch screen means horrible battery life..wont be wasting my money on that...

I would hope that the touch screen could be turned off after framing. Therefore saving battery life. Not sure if the battery is different.
Higher resolution - should be able to pick a different one if you don't need high res.

The lens looks different to me and that may be some of the higher pricing and I would welcome a sharper lens.

Other features that are not on any previous models also contribute to a higher price I'm sure - so if you don't need those........

I'm not sure if I will get one or not. May wait to hear some reviews, as what the company says and what is reality can be two different things.

Did you notice that the touch screen is on the back of the camera,but the extra battery pack which is basically necessary because main battery may last 2 hours if your lucky goes OVER the screen,that makes no sense,so you would have to assemble camera,add to helmet,take apart to see screen to use to adjust view,reassemble camera again and record...

I record in the 960 setting,after an hour ride i have about 10 gigs of video,now boost the video setting and file sizes grow huge,and most people dont own Tvs that support that resolution,...

The hero 3 silver has good enough quality for me,or the hero 3+...will pass on the new camera...

Did you notice that the touch screen is on the back of the camera,but the extra battery pack which is basically necessary because main battery may last 2 hours if your lucky goes OVER the screen,that makes no sense,so you would have to assemble camera,add to helmet,take apart to see screen to use to adjust view,reassemble camera again and record...

Do you have a screen on your camera now? If not - what's the difference?

The screen, like I said would/could be used for framing - turn it off - then add an extra battery if you really need it.

I see your point and because you have a 3 silver it may not be as big a deal to you as it would be to someone like me that
has the original HD version - there is a huge difference in specs.

I'm pretty sure that I paid $299 for my HD back in 2011.
So $399 for the 4 silver doesn't seem to bad considering the differences between them.

Now if you only have a 1080 TV is there any way you would see a difference of something recorded in 4K?
I could certainly see a Movie Studio having use for one, as there are many times that kind of view and quality is needed in movies today.

I'll wait till reviews come in before I pull that trigger. :laugh:

Back