Quick electrical question

RedBusarider

Registered
The 12 volt outlets in my van are on all the time and I want to add a switch
to turn them off so I don't have to unplug every time.

My question is does it matter if I break the positive (red) line to interup the power
Or should I break the black line?
Is there a rule of thumb as to which one to break and run to a switch?

I believe either one will work - just wondering if there is a right (better) way to do this.

With 120 volt I break the black when going to a switch as the white wire (in most cases) should
never be broken, right?

In my 12 volt application the switch will be mounted against plastic so it won't be technically
grounded so that is why I'm asking if it is better to break the black vs the red.

Thanks

I've hear to break the negative. On my bike I've broken the power wire for fuse block. No definitive answer I'm curious about this also.

If it was me,I would use a relay and a switch. Depending on the amperage of the circuit you want to add the switch to. Most aftermarket switches are cheap chinese junk and not really rated hign enough. I would break the positive wire,not the ground. I would also use a gage of wire equal to or better yet higher than the exsisting wire,this will stop the the new wires from getting hot and having a melt down.

RSD.

Something like this would be the safest,especially if you ever use the outlet for high draw accessories.

RSD.

relay-diagram_small.gif

It doesn't matter, but if you break the positive then there's no chance of powering the outlet. It really doesn't matter.

I don't know what you're powering with the outlet(s), but unless your vehicle sits for three or four days without being driven, or you have a ton of devices being powered off of it there's no real need to pull the stuff to start with.

I guess that I should have told you that most of the time it will be a Garmin that is hooked up.
The windshield is pretty far forward on my van so unplugging it was easier than reaching for the switch on the Garmin.
Pulling on the cord every time, put undo wear and tear on it and the outlet, so I
thought that a switch would be better.

I did install switches one on each outlet and tried them out and they work fine.
I did splice into the the black wire as that might have some grounding properties, not that it matters to much.
I soldered all the connections and also put shrink wrap over all connections.

I used micro switches about ¼" shaft diameter rated at 10A 125V and used 18ga wire which
was bigger than the 22-24ga wire that was going to the outlets.

So I feel confident that all is well and that for my purpose of turning on and off my Garmin it will work fine.

Thanks to RSD for the image but I just didn't feel that a relay was needed in my case.
I assume that the outlets are protected by a fuse and if they only used 24ga wire and it can handle it...........

Dof3 I don't think there is any chance of powering them by cutting the black wire either as they are mounted in plastic,
so they have to have a ground wire and there is no change it could touch anything metal and get a ground.
Like you said it doesn't really matter - at least with 12 volts in this particular situation.

Your setup will be fine but you could have covered all the bases with DPST switches that break the + and -.
An illuminated switch would also be handy to give you an indication of the switch state from a distance.

Sounds like a great job, picking up a ground was my only concern and it is highly improbable. Like I was saying unless you have a ton of stuff the car battery would probably be good for the weekend.

Another option would be a trickle charger like the BT Jr. with quick disconnect, but that requires power, very little, but still. Just throwing other options out there.

Sounds like a great job, picking up a ground was my only concern and it is highly improbable. Like I was saying unless you have a ton of stuff the car battery would probably be good for the weekend.

Thanks. Your right I also think that the battery could charge something for a day or 2 and still be fine.

I can't think of a reason to leave my Garmin on for a day or 2 if I'm not planning on driving it.
I could charge a cell phone but again I can't think of a reason to leave that in the van - how would I get a call ???

In the summertime I try to ride as much as possible as I can't in the wintertime. So the van sits a fair amount in the summertime.
I even park it outside so the bikes get the garage.

Oh well on to the next project. Seems like they never end, but it's better then being bored. :whistle:

If it were me, I'd wire it into my ignition switch using a relay switch. This makes it fool proof.

I have 2 outlets and I put a switch on both of them.

There may very well be a reason to have one outlet on and one off.

If I hooked it to my ignition switch it would turn both on or off.

It's kinda weird that in some vehicles they are on all the time (like in my vehicle) and in others they are off unless the key is turned to on.
So I guess like most things there are pros and cons to each. Oh well. I think I will be fine with what I did. I'll let you know if anything blows up. :laugh:

I don't know your neighborhood, but leaving the Garmin out could cause a window to break one night :whistle:

I don't know your neighborhood, but leaving the Garmin out could cause a window to break one night :whistle:

I'm not worried. First off is it a pretty old Garmin - still works - but old. One of the reasons to do all this work is that the battery
in it is basically shot. It might last 5 minutes on battery. I tried to replace the battery once but the tool that was included with the
battery so you could get the back off the Garmin was wrong and I never did get the case open. Took the battery back for a refund.

It works OK as long as it has power. Most of the time in the summer it will live on one of my two road bikes.
When the riding season ends then the van will move back into the garage and the Busa moves into the house.

It's in the van right now as I was testing out the switches etc. but next week it should go back onto the Busa until the riding season is over.

I don't think Garmin's are as popular as they once were (especially the older versions) as many newer vehicles have Nav built in.

So maybe in your neighborhood glass might get broken but I'm not worried here.

Ok in, since my life was 12 volt for years, you need to switch the power side, but either will work. Almost everyone always splits the load side.

Back