Anyone with experience on these?

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Have a line on a 2009 Honda CRF250. It has about 100hrs on it...previous owner made it DOT legal.

Good? Yes/No? Problems? Reliability? Durability? Walk away from it?

What do you folks say?

Idk? I think when the bike gets around 100 hrs or so you have 2 freshen up the top end on them. Not sure the exact amount of hrs but that's why you always see a ton of the newer 4 stroke dirtbikes/super motos 4 sale. Cheaper 2 ride the piss out of em and sell them to buy a new 1 than deal with a rebuild.

I had one Pac-man. A couple years older thou if I remember correctly. Some complain about a weak clutch but most owners complain about the valves. If proper maint. has been done you could be ok. The valves apparantly can burn up do to a lean condition caused by a poor air box seal which as you know causes a really high lean condition. Other than that the thing was fairly bullet proof.

Rubb.

thats an average amount of hours for that year. their a PITA to start tho. clutch life and gettn it dialed in properly with jetting is one of the common complaints with the CR.

I have an 06 CRF450. Remember these are racing bikes and the maintenance is very important. If you do not have a good feel the previous owner took care of it then walk away.

So far after two seasons on mine I've had to replace the rear shock and it's due for a top end rebuild because the motor is getting noisy. Will probably replace all of the bearings and the water pump too. Still debating whether to send the motor away or do it myself.

Dood!!!

It's a Honda!!!

I think you had a Honda, didn'tcha bro? Or is my memory going?

Idk? I think when the bike gets around 100 hrs or so you have 2 freshen up the top end on them. Not sure the exact amount of hrs but that's why you always see a ton of the newer 4 stroke dirtbikes/super motos 4 sale. Cheaper 2 ride the piss out of em and sell them to buy a new 1 than deal with a rebuild.

Ugh. The guy got it from the dealership here on the island, put on about 20hrs on it. He started it up for me (electric start, thank God!), and it sounded nice. Nice little put-put on the idle, not too lumpy, probably around 5k (?) rpms. Quiet, too... :thumbsup:

Then he told me previous owner got it for his son to race, but the son never got around to likin the bike, so it sat. Then the dad sold it to dealer with sumthin like 80-odd hours. Newest owner told me he put round abouts 20.

Guess that means it's gonna need a head job.

I had one Pac-man. A couple years older thou if I remember correctly. Some complain about a weak clutch but most owners complain about the valves. If proper maint. has been done you could be ok. The valves apparantly can burn up do to a lean condition caused by a poor air box seal which as you know causes a really high lean condition. Other than that the thing was fairly bullet proof.

Rubb.

Yah...that's what I was hearin, me bro. A lot of ppl complainin about the valves. Said something like since it's a race bike, Honda made the valves light at the cost of durability. Didn't like that part.

They also said that aftermarket SS valves helped this out (provided you sealed the airbox nice and tight from dirt and dust) at the cost of lowering the throttle response. Now that I don't mind...I already have the Bew-SA if I want to rev to the moon.

But fairly bulletproof you say? Is it gigantic-wtf-how-heavy-is-this-friggin-pacific-island-bastid proof? I'm rockin it out at about 295lbs all bare bum...concerned that 250cc's may not quite be enough for my sexy self. Especially if I'm tryin to tool around in some of the more difficult off-road trails here. ???

That aside, though...glad to see you around Rubbsy. Really glad that altho life has been a bit sour, I see you rollin with the punches and standin tall. :thumbsup:

PM me your number, you bastid. It's been too long since we last touched bases. :beerchug:

thats an average amount of hours for that year. their a PITA to start tho. clutch life and gettn it dialed in properly with jetting is one of the common complaints with the CR.

So around how many hours should I start to worry about it? Is it gonna ditch me in the trails? Or will I have some fun with it first? I have a line on it at $3100...I'll be damned if I spend that much only to hafta spend another 2500 on a full-blown rebuild just a couple months later. Also, thankfully it has electric start. Whew!

I have an 06 CRF450. Remember these are racing bikes and the maintenance is very important. If you do not have a good feel the previous owner took care of it then walk away.

So far after two seasons on mine I've had to replace the rear shock and it's due for a top end rebuild because the motor is getting noisy. Will probably replace all of the bearings and the water pump too. Still debating whether to send the motor away or do it myself.

Wtf? All of that in only two seasons? I don't plan on racing this thing...just ride to work and back (about 3-4 miles) and maybe goof off in the trails every now and again. I would really like for it to be a low maintenance (and therefore cheap!) gig...but it's starting to sound like it's not gonna happen.

Unknown about how the previous owners treated her. Of course, everybody is a model citizen driver when they try selling a vehicle, so I'm a little wary.

Dang. :banghead: Looks like I have to wait for another dirtbike or dualsport to come around. Sigh...

Yeah bro...2 CBR 1000RR's

Honda makes a great bike, I don't have
any experience with that model. A lot
depends on how well they kept it up, or
whether they beat the pi$$ out of it. As
for a 250 getting your chubby azz moving
you can always gear it a bit.

One other thing. Steering geometry on race bikes makes them twitchy as hell on the street (and therefore lots of fun in the right hands). I grew up on enduros which are a compromise, but a pure dirt bike can be a real handful on asphalt. You would be better served with an old KLR or similar bike if that's your preference.

I had an 08. fairly happy with it. if its a good price I say do it. grip it n rip it :smile:

Hmm...really getting tempted to. I just don't like how the maintenance is at higher intervals than a regular streetbike.

Yeah bro...2 CBR 1000RR's

Honda makes a great bike, I don't have
any experience with that model. A lot
depends on how well they kept it up, or
whether they beat the pi$$ out of it. As
for a 250 getting your chubby azz moving
you can always gear it a bit.

Damnit Rich...lol. :laugh: It's hard being sexy, yanno?

I'm curious too if the previous owners beat the snot out of it...tough call until I can really tear into that engine. Had a feeling I'd need to re-gear, but was hoping I didn't have to. Thanks for the clarification. :laugh:

One other thing. Steering geometry on race bikes makes them twitchy as hell on the street (and therefore lots of fun in the right hands). I grew up on enduros which are a compromise, but a pure dirt bike can be a real handful on asphalt. You would be better served with an old KLR or similar bike if that's your preference.

Oh really now? Interesting. Haven't spent a whole lot of time on dirtbikes, much less riding them on the street. Yuugen was a little on the twitchy side when I first got her, but it was just a matter of dialing in the front for my...sexiness. (zip it, Rich...lol). Rides good now, but you can definitely tell that's she's light on her feet.

Never really thought about the handling characteristics on the street. I hope it isn't too bad (I'll still be running knobbies...maybe dual sport ones). I mean, I won't be drifting around corners and wheelie-ing out of them, but I'd like at least some semblance of control. Perhaps a KLR or the 650l would be better suited, but the KLR here is out of my budget and the 650l owner turned his phone off. ???

My buddy was a Honda fanatic 4 a long time and is still in2 dirtbikes and such. He told me as well the biggest issue with those hondas are they used titanium valves rather than stainless steel..... more performance but less longevity. he said a lot of guys swap out the titanium valves in favor of the stainless steel 1's but unless you wrench on your bikes regularly I don't think that's sounds like a cheap mod 2 do

Yup...been reading that. They say you lose some throttle response due to ss valves, but i think i can live with that.

You are a big guy at 295 lbs. I think the "long pole in the tent" on this potential purchase would be the suspension. These bike are usually set up for 170 lb riders give or take. Any air or high speed sharp bumps (aggressive riding) and you may use up all of that suspension. The bike is just not going handle as it should if you don't have the suspension set up properly.

You are a big guy at 295 lbs. I think the "long pole in the tent" on this potential purchase would be the suspension. These bike are usually set up for 170 lb riders give or take. Any air or high speed sharp bumps (aggressive riding) and you may use up all of that suspension. The bike is just not going handle as it should if you don't have the suspension set up properly.

Long pole in the tent? Thats usually what me wife sez in the morn....nevermind.

Yeah...suspension suspension suspension. Kinda hard livin large, but oh well...nothin new. I've had suspension problems in damned near evrything that I've owned. Motorcycles, cars, bicycles...even my dang jeep.

Lol...

their not like a steetbike which is essentially maintenance free other then basics. ull have to do somthn with the suspension being that heavy. I don't think thats the bike for u. imo it will be nothn but a headache

Back