My Drug Problem

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Below is from another source. But I agree with it. And this is how I raise my children.

I wish more people cared enough to raise their children the same way

My Drug Problem

The other day, someone at a store in a small town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse
in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, "Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?"

I told him that I did have a drug problem when I was a kid growing up on the farm.

I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink if I uttered a profane four-letter word. ( I do know what Lye soap tastes like.)

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flowerbeds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one, to mow the yard, repair the clothesline or chop some fire wood, and if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the wood shed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack or heroin, and if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America might be a better place today.

yup I had the same drug problem.
laugh.gif

had the same problem and still get cases of it now. Already getting it started with my kids too

I had the same drug problem. It's all-consuming and pretty much precludes any other drug problems!
wink.gif

In a nutshell, our parents gave a damn about us. Too many parents nowadays do not.

--Wag--

The world would be a better place if everybody had those type of Drug Problems growing up
wink.gif

Very true. One of my favorite quotes I try to live by:

“The home is the first and most effective place for children to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self-control; the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.â€￾ ---David O. McKay

oh lordy do i remember those days...i do beleive you have made a good point thrasher...and with a few modifications i raise my three girls along somewhat the same lines...

Good old fashion morals and values, There just very rare now! Grew up the same way Thrasher, maybe we had the same folks!

If your doing well yourself, then raise your children the way you were basically raised. If anyone tries to tell you to do it different, tell them to "P!$$ 0ff" and "butt out"!

Kids HAVE to know that everything has consequences, good or bad, and they will have to pay a price for everything they do wrong. When they do right, they get payed for it!

My Drug problem was similar, but it included a few flying hands coming at my face (for smart-mouthing).

Now we have laws that tell us how to raise our kids. These laws don't account for morals and values. So can we hold the law-makers liable for the decline of society...The rising murder rate...For stupid law suites?
rock.gif

Stick to what you know. Some of us need to hange on to decent morals and values!

beerchug.gif

BTW...Stick to your word with your kids, or they'll loose respect for you as a parent! My 13 yr old is not doing well in school, but he is more than capable of getting all A's. He was told that ALL of his grades needed to be passing, and he was to have NO missing or late homework prior to our family vacation, or he can't go with us. He had 2 F's and 3 missing assignments, so we left him with relatives and went to Disneyland for a week! His school performance has since improved!
biggrin.gif

...Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think.  They are stronger than cocaine, crack or heroin, and if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America might be a better place today.
super.gif
So true, my friend... so true...

I'd recommend imparting some knowledge to go with the strictness. My parents also taught me to do the research and ask the questions before I made decisions that would affect my life.

I am with you all on this one, had the problem and passed along to my kids.

Back