I get the strangest looks

methodicreign

Registered
I have been stuck on my bike all winter as we only have 1 car and I prefer the wife to drive it. her commute is 7 times as long as mine and she leaves while it is still dark in the mornings. It's anger here in Vancouver and it's cold -6C or 20F, by our standard that's a cold winter. People are so amused to see me and my bike going to work every morning. it's a 7.2KM or 5MI ride each way in pretty much a straight line. I find he traction is just fine and the engine runs amazing in the cold. it really loves dense air charge.
As long as you lay attention and don't ride like Calamari MC super squid your just fine in these conditions. I almost wish I had a helmet can to share some of the looks I get, there great.
just felt like sharing
anyone else ride below freezing out there or am I 1 of the few brave (probably more stupid) people out there

I sure hope you're using a thin oil! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

:D

You're a tough cookie to ride when it's that cold. I've seen a few bikes out on the road and in the parking lot at work this week here in Western Washington. My old bones don't like that kind of cold any more. When I was much younger I did though. Hang tough and watch for the icy spots.

No your not the only one. I have ridden many times at that temp and lower as long as there is not ice on the ground. I do it just to get out and ride for a bit.

Used to ride in all weathers when I was a dispatch rider in the late 70s'.
Glad I don't do it any more.

I found one of the most important things for me was having warm hands.

I'd have to say you are one of the few. I ride when it gets cold, but cold here is in the 30-40ºF range. And unless it's sunny, I tend not to ride in those temps. Stay warm and safe man!

I have ridden at 17 degrees, plenty cold but it works. And you are right, that cold dense air does wonders for the engine, but the tires dont like to grip as well.

I do stay as safe as I can, bundle up as needed and have glove liners to keep the fingers from falling off. I saw a couple guys out today on my way home on Harley's with beenie helmets. I might take jabs at Harley guys from time to time but that is one tuff SOB that can rock an open faced helmet in this weather. even I wouldn't do that. Traction I find is surprising in this weather. I don't go full lean on turns and bring my speed down overall but I had a panic break today and I thought for sure I was going to lock the fronts up and go down but she held on way better then I could have ever expected. don't wanna test that again though, stupid people thinking red means turn left when you decide too.

Back