Samsung Galaxy Note 3

SoCal Blur

Registered
I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 a few days ago. My HTC EVO 3D has been acting up, rebooting whenever it got warm after a charge or being in a pocket.

I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the Note 3. Anyone else get the Note 3?

That thing is big right? What made you go with the larger platform and what do you specifically like?

That thing is big right? What made you go with the larger platform and what do you specifically like?

There are a few things. At work, we were all issued Samsung Note 2 phones as our company cell phone. The note series of phones have many tablet like features which I appreciate. It means that I can do a lot of stuff on it that I might do on my laptop. After using the Note 2 since May, I have come to appreciate the size and the functionality. When the note 3 came out, Samsung really upped just about every aspect of the phone. They even managed to make the display on the note 3 bigger and higher resolution than the note 2 (5.7" vs. 5.5") and actually make the phone a little narrower and thinner than the note 2. The software even does some magic to even make one handed operation possible. It's demonstrated here:

I enjoy being able to watch videos on the device as well and a large screen sure makes it nice. The camera on the phone can shoot 4K Ultra High Def video.

Side-by-Side, my new note 3 blows the note 2 and my old EVO 3D away in every way - speed, performance, display, capabilities, battery life (19hrs talk time and 22 days standby time according to Samsung).

There are so many features available on the phone using the S-Pen that I may never use them all. There are quite a few You Tube videos that I have been studying trying to learn as many of these features as possible.

The size of the Note 3 isn't for everyone but if you want to do as much as possible with your phone than this may be the phone you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just, literally just, got the Galaxy S4 and the Tab 3 (compliments of Sprint) and I LOVE them both!

I picked up a note Monday this week. It's been pretty nice so far.

pjPCkTk.png

l1GhUfJ.png

Supposedly Samsung overclocks the device when it sees the benchmark running, resulting in a 20% increase in numbers. Even so, that would put this phone at 18,000 on the test, which is around 13,000+ points higher than almost all android devices.

Supposedly Samsung overclocks the device when it sees the benchmark running, resulting in a 20% increase in numbers. Even so, that would put this phone at 18,000 on the test, which is around 13,000+ points higher than almost all android devices.

I don't think they overclock but they force all four cores to run at 100% during the benchmark. Still, if I run my old EVO 3D with both cores at 100% I wouldn't get anywhere close to that numbers the Note 3 are throwing up.

Still have the note 2 and love it. I hate having a better phone coming out every time I buy one. I hope your note 3 sucks :laugh:

Still have the note 2 and love it. I hate having a better phone coming out every time I buy one. I hope your note 3 sucks :laugh:

Well I have both the Note 2 (work cellphone) and the Note 3, personal cellphone and I can tell you, the Note 3 doesn't suck :poke:

That overclock comparison is to old phones, but it's still a really nice device.

Glad you posted this as I have been thinking about one myself. I get a free upgrade on my account nd I have more than one line on my account so i was thinking of just adding the Note to me Galaxy for the bluetooth aspects. Then I can mount it on my bike and have all the digital whiz bangs I want when I ride, and still have the rest.

Keep posting about this.

Glad you posted this as I have been thinking about one myself. I get a free upgrade on my account nd I have more than one line on my account so i was thinking of just adding the Note to me Galaxy for the bluetooth aspects. Then I can mount it on my bike and have all the digital whiz bangs I want when I ride, and still have the rest.

Keep posting about this.

I don't know how you managed a free upgrade, but that's great! Sprint normally charges $349 for an upgrade ($100 more than for new customers!) plus tax on the actual value so about another $90. I ended up doing my upgrade through Wirefly.com - $299 for upgrade and no tax (unless you live in MD) plus free FedEx overnight shipping. I saved about $150 going through Wirefly than what I would have spent through Sprint directly. Wirefly is an authorized dealer for Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, I believe.

Phone has been great so far. Bluetooth works well. I'm still waiting for my car dock to arrive. Not ready to get a bike mount yet after losing a ContourROAM using a RAM steering stem mount.

Maybe I shouldn't say free as it applies to this. I got my Galaxy free in my last upgrade. And I have 3 lines on my account. They sent me an offer that said I am entitled to 2 upgrades and can Bundle 2 upgrades into one and offered a tablet as that upgrade. They never said it was free, but I was assuming because it would be like my last upgrade offer. Even if its $100 or whatever, it would be worth it.

Have a Note 2, love it. Amazing phone. You know, there is a guy at work that whines about having cell phones at work. He was issued a flip phone(LOL).
When he needs a pic of some electrical equipment taken, he calls me.
This weekend I went to Sears and saw work benches(co-worker wants a work bench). I sent him pics of the benches and the prices.
This morning he comes in and asks why I did not send him the prices? I said, I did send you the price pics. He opened his flip phone and said I can`t see these pictures. I told him to use a magnifying glass. I LOL.

I'm still undecided if the phone is too large or not.

On one hand, it fits into most pants pockets, so it's not too big in that way.

If I'm in the position to use the phone with my undivided attention, the screen is definitely NOT too big. It's nice and in fact, I wouldn't mind it being larger!

If I'm in the position to use it randomly, and especially flip it out and want to call or type real quick using one hand, it's on the verge of being too large. Many times I end up using both hands just because my thumb can't reach the last 1/2" screen on the opposite side, and the top 1" of the screen.

Audio (via headphones) sounds great. Speakers are on the weak side though. I've got some servers in the house and speakers playing music at max volume can't be heard.

PS: Company phone. Phone was free, and so is the voice/data plan. :laugh:

I'm still undecided if the phone is too large or not.

On one hand, it fits into most pants pockets, so it's not too big in that way.

If I'm in the position to use the phone with my undivided attention, the screen is definitely NOT too big. It's nice and in fact, I wouldn't mind it being larger!

If I'm in the position to use it randomly, and especially flip it out and want to call or type real quick using one hand, it's on the verge of being too large. Many times I end up using both hands just because my thumb can't reach the last 1/2" screen on the opposite side, and the top 1" of the screen.

Audio (via headphones) sounds great. Speakers are on the weak side though. I've got some servers in the house and speakers playing music at max volume can't be heard.

PS: Company phone. Phone was free, and so is the voice/data plan. :laugh:

You can turn on On Hand Operation on the Note 3. What happens then is using one hand and doing a certain swipe with your thumb, the entire screen shrinks down and moves to the side that your thumb is located. It shrinks to about the size of an S4 but you can make it any size you like. There is also a mode where it senses which hand you are using and moves it over to that side. Check out this youtube video to see it in action (skip ahead to 00:50)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used it. It might be that I'm not used to it yet, but so far it feels like a gimmick and not that useful.

Part of the problem the fleshy part of the base of my thumb ends up being more under the phone than over it (just to hold the phone), that limits it's movement.

I'm not complaining.. I knew this was a big phone when I ordered it. It's just interesting that "too big" can actually be a legit problem for some. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience some issues myself. :)

I've used it. It might be that I'm not used to it yet, but so far it feels like a gimmick and not that useful.

I hear ya. I don't find it too large to use with one hand so I found that feature unnecessary for me. But I can see where it might be useful for some that are comming from smaller phones like the iphone, etc.

It all depends on your hand size. My old phone had a 4.2" display. It's tiny by today's standards. A co-worker has the Droid DNA (5" display), and that feels great in my hand. I can reach everything nicely. The Note3 is not massively larger, but that last bit is what breaks the camel's back in my case.

It doesn't matter.. everyone is jealous of the new phone, and that's what matters. No one here gives a crap about the iPhone 5S.

Back