Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
1. Are Loud
2. Are Loud
3. Are Loud
4. Keep the lights on when your neighbors have no power
5. Are awesome.

Power blipped out tonight and we broke out the two year old Champion genset. We bought the thing after the wicked tornado's we had roll through here 2 years ago. After the tornado's we ran this that thing for 3 or 4 days straight. Tonight something knocked out our power. We heard chain saws running in the distance. Broke out the genny and here I am posting...love it.

The last time I needed mine...the dang thing WOULD NOT start... :banghead:

Did you get an electrician to wire your house with a plug? How much?

I installed one of these and painted it brown to blend into the house exterior. Then put in a cut off switch in the panel for ease of use and safety. I also have a 7000 watt Sears generator that I fire up about once every quarter/six months and let about a pint of fuel run through it until it is out. Then put the generator back in the shed for safe keeping. I have not had to use it for emergency situations, but it is there if/when I do need it.

61FgF1fp5kS._SL900_.jpg

Twobrothersbusa, what is the output of your generator and did you find that it was running smoothly or having a hard time keeping up with the start up power consumption?

Mine is a 5000w continuous and 6000w Peak. We turn off the high load breakers like the HVAC, Water Heater, and stove. It is wired into both phases for the house so everything is powered, we just manage our draw when it is on.

41115 - Champion Power Equipment

Mine is a 5000w continuous and 6000w Peak. We turn off the high load breakers like the HVAC, Water Heater, and stove. It is wired into both phases for the house so everything is powered, we just manage our draw when it is on.

41115 - Champion Power Equipment

Sounds identical to how I plan to use mine if ever needed. We have 2 fireplaces in the house, so heat should not be a problem if the power goes out during the winter. Although, we had to have 240 because the well pump is on a 240 circuit and without that, we don't have water.

Thanks for the info, no matter how much research you do, you can always use the advice of someone that has been through it just to double check yourself.

Always make sure you get it wired right so you don't fry some lineman down the way trying to fix the wires on the pole

Someone come to my house and to it for me. I've got a 240 port on my generator.

The last time I needed mine...the dang thing WOULD NOT start... :banghead:

Did you get an electrician to wire your house with a plug? How much?

That's a common problem I run into being a small engine mechanic. People fire up their gen and use it, put it away with fuel still in the float bowl for years and wonder why it wont start a couple years later. The best thing is to turn the fuel off and run it till it dies, then drain the rest out of the float bowl and siphon out the rest of the fuel in the tank.

Mine has the 240vac as well (and is wired into both phases in the house) we just don't have the KW available to run the high draw appliances. More KW cost more dough!

We actually bought this generator the day of the Tornado mess that was here 2 years ago. A storm blew through in the am and knocked out power for an hour or so and I finally said I'm going to get one. When the tornado hit that evening, you couldn't find a generator for 150 miles in any direction that next day.

Always make sure you get it wired right so you don't fry some lineman down the way trying to fix the wires on the pole

Excellent advice and sadly most will ignore it.

I know many who will shut off the main breaker and back-feed through the A/C disconnect or 240 outlet with a suicide cord.
They think turning the main breaker off is full proof.

Few years ago I turned off the main breaker in my house to do some work only to find one bar still energized! Luckily I'm in a line of work where I know to cover my ass and check everything with my meter. The 200 amp main breaker failed internally and only shut down one leg of power. Had I chose to back-feed during a power outage, good chance I could have killed a lineman.

Fortunately, my utility company is very reliable and I just have a kit of heavy duty cords and power strips for the furnace, fridge, lights, one TV, modem/router etc and one heavy duty line for the 240 volt well pump. Breaker box is in drywall of a finished room which I really don't want to tear apart for a transfer kit.

If there was a big disaster where I knew power was going to be out for a week or more, I'd physically remove the utility meter and then back-feed the house. Luckily I'm on a Co-Op and they're typically cool with pulling the meter as long as you tell them so they can come back out and put a new security tag on it.

Someone come to my house and to it for me. I've got a 240 port on my generator.

I just had my house wired for mine. They did put the safety switch on the breaker box to make sure the the main power is off. I have an outlet on the side of my house to plug the generator into. Should cost anywhere from 150 to 200 bucks. I had a little extra work done and it cost me a little more. I was told only to turn off 3 things which I put a red wire tie on the breaker so I would not for get :laugh:

Back