Dad.

newman

Registered
It was Dads funeral yesterday.

It was a loverly service.
There was nine of us there.
Mum, Lynne, Robyn my daughter and me.
My sons flew over from Iceland and one of them brought his girlfriend.
My brother and his girlfriend.
My other three daughters were going to come but they all have young children and live miles away, and would have had to get trains or coaches to get here, so Lynne said rather that spend money on fares and flowers give the money to charity.
My Uncle could not come as his girlfriend had just passed away and her funeral is today.

Dad had his red beret on his coffin from his paratrooper days.

Mum held up really well.

Then we went to the funeral reception at the pub.
Danny the manager had closed part of the pub for us and we had ordered food from a caterers.
I can't say enough about Danny he organised things putting tables up for the food and helped put the food out.
Cleared things away at the end and wouldn't except any payment at all.

Saw some of my friends there who also knew Mum and Dad and invited them for some food and drink.

Sat around drinking and telling stories about Dad.
My brother didn't know Dad was in the British Secret Service after the second World War.

It seems strange but if was a happy funeral, a celebration of Dads life and not only of his passing.

Dave.

Been thinking about you Dave. Sounds like it was a good celebration of your Dad's life and that you were surrounded by wonderful people...

Big hugs!!!

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Sending you prayers of peace and comfort from across the "pond". (((hugs))) to you and Lynne.

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way Newman.

Sent from my Jeep using smoke signals.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Kids are going to London today then straight back to Iceland.
We all had a takeaway last night, Mum had her normal Pizza.

It's 7:40 here in the UK and the kids said they would be here at 7:30.
Lets just say I've had experience of their time keeping, you never know when they will turn up.
They have managed to scrape the rims of their hire car by hitting the kerb, so they want some stuff to try and get the scratches out.

Kids have been and gone, couldn't get the scratches out.

Anyway I'm rambling on so I'll go now.

Ta.

Dave.

my condolences and prayers to you and your family

Sorry for your loss sir, but glad you had a good day of reflection shared with family.

It was Dads funeral yesterday.

It was a loverly service.
There was nine of us there.
Mum, Lynne, Robyn my daughter and me.
My sons flew over from Iceland and one of them brought his girlfriend.
My brother and his girlfriend.
My other three daughters were going to come but they all have young children and live miles away, and would have had to get trains or coaches to get here, so Lynne said rather that spend money on fares and flowers give the money to charity.
My Uncle could not come as his girlfriend had just passed away and her funeral is today.

Dad had his red beret on his coffin from his paratrooper days.

Mum held up really well.

Then we went to the funeral reception at the pub.
Danny the manager had closed part of the pub for us and we had ordered food from a caterers.
I can't say enough about Danny he organised things putting tables up for the food and helped put the food out.
Cleared things away at the end and wouldn't except any payment at all.

Saw some of my friends there who also knew Mum and Dad and invited them for some food and drink.

Sat around drinking and telling stories about Dad.
My brother didn't know Dad was in the British Secret Service after the second World War.

It seems strange but if was a happy funeral, a celebration of Dads life and not only of his passing.

Dave.

So sad for you man! I know the feeling, my dad died when I was 15, back in 1975. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this very difficult time.

Tom.

Only the physical is gone. His spirit lives forever and will always be with you.
He is in you because you carry his blood. He will always be watching over you. Our time here on earth is but a splinter from the tree of eternity. Soon you will be together again forever.

Rip Dad.

Only the physical is gone. His spirit lives forever and will always be with you.
He is in you because you carry his blood. He will always be watching over you. Our time here on earth is but a splinter from the tree of eternity. Soon you will be together again forever.

Rip Dad.

I agree, and sounds good that it was more of a remembrance celebration than a wake. Stay strong and keep those stories.

Glad things went smooth for you and the family. We hope the Home Coming will be easy, some take it better that others.

I did not cry at my Dads funeral, but when I go and visit his grave, I cry. I miss my Dad.

Lost my dad last December. Per his request, he wanted no service and to be cremated. I had made peace with the thought of my dad passing when I knew he was at peace with the idea. So when I got the call, while it was a surprise, it wasn't an unexpected one. 2 months ago, I saw my mom for the first time since his passing. I can't really say I missed him, but it the first time I had seen my mom without my dad. It felt odd but not sad. It was the first time I realized I won't be able to see him when i go visit now.

My mom is doing well, but she admitted, she needed to see me to get closure. She says now she feels like she can close this chapter of her life and start anew.

Back