• No

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 45 91.8%

• Total voters

GNBRETT

Registered
Ohio Executes Harry Mitts Jr. for 1994 Slaying of Police Officer

im not a fan of the death penalty for several reasons. first and foremost why do we put our animals down? cause they are suffering right? why would we do the same for a convicted murderer that has to spend the rest of his life in cage? if I had to spend the rest of my life in a cage I too would want someone to out me out of my misery.

We cant legally put our loved ones down when they are suffering but we can and do put criminals down for their suffering? seems ass backwards to me.

second, we are killing someone for killing someone. the eye for an eye thing just doesn't work and has never been proven to serve as a deterrent. again, I dont see that as punishment. I see that as mercy.

yea I know it cost money to keep these animals alive but seriously if we look at the money we waste on government programs in our own country as well as money wasted on civil wars around the world and aid given to foreign countries the money spent on a prisoner doesn't even scratch the surface of what it cost to fund wars and foreign countries so the whole money argument just doesn't hold any water.

I deterrent which would hardly violate the 8th amendment would be requiring the murderer to watch at least 8 hours a day for life of home movies and pictures of the victims and their families that he cant turn off or tune out. that to me is far more punishment then putting someone out of their misery with lethal injection.

I'm all about saving taxpayer $$ and not paying to support violent criminals for the rest of their lives, and you're right, there's already so much waste in our gov't spending, how would this make a dent? It may not, but that doesn't mean we all should just be OK with paying for these clowns to get a college education or watch cable TV. Answer would be to investigate all gov't waste and FIX IT, not just throw one program out the window because it doesn't make any difference. That's exactly why we are where we are now, but I digress...I'm an eye-for-an-eye gal, and don't mind saying so...

I'm also in agreement with what you say about our loved-ones suffering; it's a crime that we can make decisions for our pets so they don't suffer, but we can't even decide for ourselves, legally, that we're done suffering...

I have no problem with a convicted killer getting the death penalty.

P.
so you would rather put them out of their misery then make then suffer? how can one feel as tho they are being punished if they are dead? you cant be miserable when your dead. murderers should suffer and be made miserable for the rest of their life just like the families of the murdered victims are for the rest of their life.

so you would rather put them out of their misery then make then suffer? how can one feel as tho they are being punished if they are dead? you cant be miserable when your dead. murderers should suffer and be made miserable for the rest of their life just like the families of the murdered victims are for the rest of their life.

I think many don't care if they're miserable or not...they're gone, not breathing, not sucking the life out of us taxpayers, not seeing the sun or smelling a flower. I think it's a mindset you either have or you don't, and most don't budge on which side they stand on...

Imagine for a moment how the loved ones of a victim feel, knowing their loved-ones aren't there anymore, but the piece of garbage that murdered them is alive and well, and likely getting an education, or has no remorse at all and just spends his/her days doing whatever's allowed within the confines of a cell. To many victims' families, that's more than their loved one was left with...

This is a tough one. You have to be OK with the fact that we will put innocent people to death. The justice system is good but someone, somewhere will be wrongly accused and put to death. We see this all the time where with DNA evidence 25 years later they discover they were wrong. I believe it the death penalty personally, but I think the other side has some valid points. I am glad that I do not have to be the one to decide who dies and who does not.

My only problem with the death penalty is that it takes way too long to put them down once convicted. Why did it take 9 years to put this prick down? Give them 18 months to appeal and then lights out!

Shoot, if you really want to make 'em suffer, just take it to the limit and do undo him/her as she/he did unto someone else :laugh:

Put that on PPV while you're at it! Make some $$... :whistle:

The burden on tax payers is far more of a concern to me than making them suffer. I am old school in my thinking though. I think if you are caught for something like murder literally 100% guilty it should be a public hanging or execution and call it done. It would also help deter crime if punishments were what they should be. The judicial system in this country is a joke!!

"Off with their head!" People have a fear of death. The penalty is a good deterrent. Living in a box is still living.

the burden on the tax payer is a non issue. its not about money. one can make that claim if they want but in reality it just BS! death is just too easy and simple. I want murderers to suffer. your not suffering when ur dead. ur at peace when ur dead which is why we long to put our loved ones either being pets or people to death when they are suffering. so murderers are afforded that luxury but honest hard working people aren't. thats a joke!

and its funny how people get all religious when it comes to doctors of death who want to put people out of their misery and state that God is the only one who decides who lives and dies so we have to let nature take its course and God will take them when God is ready. really? thats so hypocritical when we put murderers to death and put them out of their misery.

"Off with their head!" People have a fear of death. The penalty is a good deterrent. Living in a box is still living.
death has been proven to NOT be a deterrence in any way whatsoever.

ppl contemplating murder do not sit around at home sayn I won't commit this murder if I get the death penalty, but life without parole is somethn many do consider. ppl contemplating or committing murder dont plan to get caught or weigh the consequences.

statistics demonstrate that the states WITHOUT the death penalty have consistently LOWER murder rates than states with it. so what really is a better deterrent? death or life without parole? 88% of criminologists throughout the country all agree that death is not a deterrent.

ppl commit murders largely in the heat of passion, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or because they are mentally ill. they giv little or no thought to the consequences of their actions. for the few murderers who plan their crimes such as hit men intend and expect to avoid punishment altogether by not getting caught. and most do get away with it.

The homicide rate is at least 5 times greater in the USA than in ANY other Western European country, all who DO NOT have the death penalty. and look at our own country, southern states carry out more than 80 percent of ALL executions but have a highest murder rate in the country. so ur statement that the death penalty is a good deterrent is wrong.

I don't know?? This thread can go on and on point for point so Im not going to get sucked into the rabbit whole. I feel that the death penalty is a joke. Back in the day you were guilty it was off to the gallows or the Scary dude with the mask and the huge axe. With all the activists ACLU or what ever they are called you have violent rapist murderers who get to suffer the anguish of a pin prick in their arm and drift off slowly to a comfortable deep sleep never to wake up again..... None of their victims were given that courtesy or had their feelings and dignity taken into consideration :whistle: I don't feel that everyone who has taken a life should automatically be given the death penalty. Nothing is black and white when it comes to deciding matters such as this and each should be based on its own circumstances. However there should be a baseline if you will or a guideline to go off of. Case in point if somebody shoots and kills a cop in texas they can qualify for the death penalty but if you commit the same murder under similar circumstances in a neighboring state that doesn't have the death penalty you get to live no matter what?? Doesn't make sense to me and I believe if we can legally execute another human being in 1 state then we should be able to carry out the same quote unquote "justice" in all the states because last time I checked we are the UNITED states of America aren't we? Another issue I have is the murderers ability to negotiate for his or her life. Their lawyers have been able to get the death penalty taken off the table if the murderer cooperates with authorities in discovering evidence or playing on the family's emotions and telling them potentially where the body is located or taking the quick plea of guilty to avoid a lengthy trial. The victims family should have the right to decide that persons fate and maybe even give them some options of how to execute them. Im all for a televised firing squad, public hanging, or even a lion pit!!!!:thumbsup: You want to talk about reducing crime in America, watch a man get eaten alive by lions and it might put some things in perspective. You may reconsider how much you hate an individual and not squeeze that trigger or put down that knife if you could potentially be ripped limb from limb....:whistle: For those who say no to the death penalty I have an alternative for you too. For the victims families who are opposed to the death penalty I say send the murderer to an institutionalized sweat shop where they will work from sun up to sun down all day every day and all the money that they earn will go to the victims families or preferred charity. If you refuse to work then door #2 will be awarded to you and the lions will be waiting :laugh:

So what you're saying is un-arm lawful Americans and lets not give the criminal anything to worry about?

Why you still living here, it not time for you to pack your bag and move to one of these places if its so much better over there?

ur statement that the death penalty is a good deterrent is wrong.

I'll bite... So I will take the stance that those death penalties have saved 3.6 million people by deterring other homicides from occurring... now prove me wrong...

Agreed cap eye for eye was mentioned earlier......in the wrong context of course.

This depends on what you believe about death. The death penalty speeds them to their ultimate judgement and most likely eternal suffering. Even if they are just rotting in a hole, the world is a better place with them gone, not just out of sight.

death has been proven to NOT be a deterrence in any way whatsoever. ppl contemplating murder do not sit around at home sayn I won't commit this murder if I get the death penalty, but life without parole is somethn many do consider. ppl contemplating or committing murder dont plan to get caught or weigh the consequences. statistics demonstrate that the states WITHOUT the death penalty have consistently LOWER murder rates than states with it. so what really is a better deterrent? death or life without parole? 88% of criminologists throughout the country all agree that death is not a deterrent. ppl commit murders largely in the heat of passion, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or because they are mentally ill. they giv little or no thought to the consequences of their actions. for the few murderers who plan their crimes such as hit men intend and expect to avoid punishment altogether by not getting caught. and most do get away with it. The homicide rate is at least 5 times greater in the USA than in ANY other Western European country, all who DO NOT have the death penalty. and look at our own country, southern states carry out more than 80 percent of ALL executions but have a highest murder rate in the country. so ur statement that the death penalty is a good deterrent is wrong.

People don't take the death penalty seriously because we are entirely too lenient with it. How about this. If your are found guilty of 2nd degree murder or worse you get the death penalty automatically. You have 12 months to appeal then off to the gas chamber. That would for sure get people to think twice. Why worry about the death penalty if only a couple people a year are executed and you sit on death row for 20 years???

Violent criminals should work chain gangs all day everyday, not sitting watching TV. Nobody wants me to be in charge of this because I would be like Sheriff Joe from Arizona but 100% worse.

People don't take the death penalty seriously

I think your correct until it starts getting close.. I bet there is a lot of thought that goes into it months, weeks and days before the event.

People don't take the death penalty seriously because we are entirely too lenient with it. How about this. If your are found guilty of 2nd degree murder or worse you get the death penalty automatically. You have 12 months to appeal then off to the gas chamber. That would for sure get people to think twice. Why worry about the death penalty if only a couple people a year are executed and you sit on death row for 20 years???

Violent criminals should work chain gangs all day everyday, not sitting watching TV. Nobody wants me to be in charge of this because I would be like Sheriff Joe from Arizona but 100% worse.
I agree 100%. SOME jails are a joke. others are far more punishing. instead of putting a human out of its misery like a dog they shud be out in chain gangs doing road work or picking up trash. if was sentenced to a life of hard labor in chains I too wud rather b put to death. all im says is death is too easy and too simple for murders.

Back