People with "fast" Harleys

jnor

Not a new recruit
Donating Member
Registered
What's with people that put tons of money into Harley's trying to be fast? A friend of mine has over 40K in a 02 Duece (his figures) he has redone the engine 3 times, now it is up to 124" and he is trying to get 150hp from it. The first time he built it, it was 95" with cnc ported heads, cams,Mikuni carb and a bunch of other stuff and it wouldn't outrun me on my wife's Honda 750 Shadow spirit. I think now he is trying to outrun my Hayabusa, there is nothing that you can do to his Harley to outrun a stock Busa. He isn't the only one I have seen waste money on this stuff. I have a Low Rider (58HP stock), and I didn't buy it thinking it was a performance bike. 58HP 600+ lbs. He and others will argue about this stuff all day.

I married that guy!

My hubby is pretty much anti-Jap bike...he's done a few things to his 1200 Sportster for speed simply because he loves going fast, but won't get a sport bike...I don't get it...to each his own...
smile.gif

I've always wondered the same thing. Why get a Screamin Eagle when you can have a Screamin Falcon!

As a former Electra-glide Ultra owner, I can say they do it for each other, not the sport bike crowd. They(we) know a Harley can't outrun most of the sport bikes but that is not the reason to own one. It's mostly for the sound, but sometimes for the comfort of just going for a relaxing ride with a bunch of friends.
wink.gif

Yea, lets put straight pipes on my harrdly, not only will that make it fast, I can piss off everybody in a 2 mile radius as I twist the throttle and make lots of noise and not go anywhere
rock.gif

Please, don't get me started................

People with 'fast' Harley's.. Fast and Harley shouldn't be in the same sentence..LOL

Yep, I've got a Hardley go-slow owner three blocks from me and I can hear his bike from where I live (usually in the middle of the night or early morning.) Lots of noise but no performance.

One of these days I'm going to take the mufflers off the Busa and go rev it up outside his house at 2am and see if he likes it....

You know it's funny when I was growing up my dad was anti jap bike yadda yadda yadda. He had a 97 harley dyna wide glide that he bought brand new. Spent mass money croming it and putting all these accessories on it. He straight piped it and cammed it up. I always was fascinated with sportbikes even when I was a knee high. I never got to ride one until I was almost 22 though. Back in the day before I knew how hellacious sportbikes were my dad used to tell me about going out on his harley and running ninjas and whippin em. Now I am beggining to smell the bullshit. lol. The funny thing is I took him with me the day I picked my busa up. Of course he had never heard of one or seen one at all. It was in the dealers garage all ready to roll. I fired it up and revved it once and I saw the look on his face. It was like ohhhh ####. He never said anything after that besides you better be careful......when what he was REALLY thinking was damn that thing would eat 3 harley engines fused together for breakfast. lol. Well later down the road we were going somewhere together and he follwed me on the highway in his truck. I waited till we were doing about 80 and pulled up beside his truck, looked over and waived, and twisted that throttle HARD! I got it up to about 160 in no time flat as you know and slowed down to wait for him a couple minutes. When we got where we were going he look at me and said I will never talk crap about a ricer again. I still won't buy one but I know what they have now and I can respect that. They are just two different worlds. Harleys are for cruising and sport bikes are for power. Now that came first hand from a major harley rider. I think after that he realized all that money he was putting in it was pointless cuz he never bought anything else for it.

The people who kill me are the ones who say I have this or that bike that will beat a busa (notice everything is compared to the busa only?) They bored it and put nos on it, turbo'd, etc. etc. OK now let me do the same to my bike and then compare them again.

The people who kill me are the ones who say I have this or that bike that will beat a busa (notice everything is compared to the busa only?) They bored it and put nos on it, turbo'd, etc. etc.  OK now let me do the same to my bike and then compare them again.
I totally agree with that and I have heard that 100 times over as well. It's like gee let me see here. You wanna take a naturally aspirated engine and put it up against a bored out, stroked up, turbo charged engine. Thats like racing a Ford Pinto against an SVT cobra. Like you said....take a busa and turbo it up and see what happens then. And Also why do you never hear anyone talk #### about the KAWI 12? I mean it and the busa are such close matches but it's always "Hey I know a bike that can beat a busa!" People just envy the busa I think and look for anyway they can to take away our pride we have for the machine.

Apples--------Oranges

I have ridden both, Harley and Sportbikes... And even though I wouldn't tell my Hardley peddling bro's, I can see the appeal, and wouldn't mind having me a nice big twin to thump around town with.

It's all in what you like. I've ridden both, and probably in the future will have both. But I don't think I could ever just get rid of the Busa to buy a Hog. I feel the need...the need for speed.

You know what I'm tired of hearing ? O.... I raced one of THOSE BIKES. which consists from a ninja 250 to a Busa cause it has a full fairing. I met up with a guy once on a Boss Hoss. He's sitting on a 350ci with his feet out on the vavle covers. I'm thinkin Damn this thing should run. We were riding side by side going slow I asked him were he was heading and he just happen to be going my way
wink.gif
I told him when he gets a chance to jump on it to go for it. He finaly gets the nuts and the room and NOTHIN. I could of ran him and his big 350ci over. He pulled over and we were bull shittin and the first thing out of his mouth was "O... I race one of those bikes before and as the guy was doing a wheelie I blew right by him."
rock.gif
I'm thinking YA buddy you don't know what the hell you were racing then and you surly don't know what is sitting next to ya . When we pulled out I through the front end up in 2nd and went all the way through it. When it lands its at 110. I never looked back and never seen the guy again.

You know what it is Fast to some people and fast to a BUSA owner are to different worlds. I went and did the NASCAR test drive were you get to drive a NASCAR around the track at high speeds.It was the Richard Petty Driving Experience. As they are strapping me in the girl sticks her head in the pass side to take a pic.She says that I dont look to happy. I told her I just dont want to be disappointed. She said she didnt think I would be cause I was going to be able to go real fast. Now like I said Fast for some is not the same for a BUSA owner. So we head out and get up to speed and down the back stretch I get up to 136 mph which is fast BUT not BUSA fast. I'm used to setting the front wheel down at 145mph in third. Now for the guys that drive there car down the hwy and get up to 70 maybe 80 on a daring day 136 is flying. All and all it was fun. It was an Experience. I had a guy tell me the other day that I have to go ride one of those V RODS cause ther FAST
rock.gif
I told him that it might be fast for a Harley and compared to a Harley but " your not even in the same book let alone on the same page."
laugh.gif

I've got one of each
biggrin.gif

My Electra-Glide has the Stage-II Big-Bore kit, 1550 cc, with pipes, cams, mapping, etc.... Now, I know it's not fast, but the kit gives the bike a lot more torque than stock.

What this does for "me": I can load the bike's storage to the limit, put me and the wife on it, then attach a fully loaded trailer with about 300 pounds of dive gears, and luggage in it, and then... Cruise down the highway at 75-80 mph with the tunes cranked, stretched out like I'm in my recliner, and my drink holder with ice cold pepsi in it. Then cruise like that all the way to Florida for a diving weekend in the Florida Keys (1650 miles).

That, I cannot do on the Busa.
wink.gif

They're two different bikes for two different purposes. I know the Harley isn't "fast", but it's "fast enough".
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: "Only had the mileage to Daytona...oops"|1108253683 -->

I had a guy, (Harley rider), tell me one time, "Anybody can go fast on a crotch rocket, but if you can make a Harley go fast, well, then you,ve done something.  And my response was, " And your point is?"  
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|busa1300nut
Reason for Edit: "can,t spel"|1108268431 -->

I had a guy, (Harley rider), tell me one time, "Anybody can go fast on a crotch rocket, but if you can make a Harley go fast, well, then you,ve done something.  And my response was, " And your point is?"  
laugh.gif
Oh my god this guy was bragging about this? Lemme translate that comment in a way busa owners hear it. "Anyone can go fast on a machine thats designed to produce raw unbelievable power.........but if you can go fast on an overpriced piece of #### that will hit 120 maybe downhill in a hurricane then although you may be a decent rider you sure don't know how to buy a bike"

Back