2004 Mach 1 Tranny Rebuild Kit Needed

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
Does anyone have any contacts or supplier that can do better on the price of this product. I have a 2004 Mach 1 that I just purchased and she has the problematic issue of grinding on quick shifts and will only get worse as they all do. So, this upgrade kit is needed unless I find a great deal on a T56 Cobra 6 speed tranny. Here is the link on the kit and it's costly. D&D Performance - YK6 3650 Upgrade Kit

3650 isnt worth that money for upgrade in my opinion. a t56 is way better option. the 3rd gear shifts do suck!! I changed clutch cable and quadrant adjuster and had better success along with mgw shifter but still. had 95k on my odometer and didnt have that many bad issues.

Kenosha, thanks for the inputs. Greatly appreciate it. I have not read anything good about the tranny at all. I am not willing to pay that much for the rebuild kit and will be looking for the T56 at salvage yards unless I could get that rebuild kit much cheaper. I don't think that will happen. Double overdrive sounds great about now with a 430 Ring Gear. Beautiful Mach in the picture bother. Thus far I was aware of the grinding of the tranny when I test drove it. Had the price drop $3000 because of it so I guess I need to start looked for the Cobra tranny. Hot rods are always expensive.

I would join a few mustang forums and read up on them especially mach1registry that will help you. It might just the cable is long and out of adjustment. Are you new to the machs? There is a plastic quadrant already in the car if you didnt know.....if did know I apologize for repeating but reach far up under the dash above the clutch cable and see the plastic adjuster I think they are white. Feel for the tab with your thumb and press hard as heck.....it will move I promise, your thumb will hurt likely but it does move and will feel a significant click.......that will take up slack for you.

From there you can tell right away if helps with that 3rd gear upshift. a nice mgw adjustable shifter will help tons too. Wont know if anyone changed it till taking that cover off if its the stock one angled toward the driver then theres a huge issue....they are garbage!!!!

If that quadrant helps then you know what you need. Now, if you shift hard and let off the clutch fast and it returns with slack it will need to be adjusted again. thats normal get a good one

Thank much for the info. Have already adjusted the clutch as you described. I have as well a 2004 GT and love the way the clutch can be adjusted. The info on the tranny is everywhere you look and are known to be bad. Just wished the rebuild kit was not so much and will be going to the six speed T56. So far loving the car and it's not even mine. Bought it for the oldest son. Removing the NOS hopefully by the weekend at the latest and the MSD Digital Window Controller for the NOS and all that stuff. The tranny is not an emergency as it's perfect with normal driving. So, retune it after the NOS removal and look for that T56 over the next few weeks. I had thought maybe someone on here being a dealer/mechanic could get a great price on the tranny but guess not.

Back