IPOD

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
I have an IPOD and have been using it for a while. i am pretty happy with it, but there are a few things I do not particularly like, such as having to recharge the batteries all the time.

So what are some good alternatives? If I make a change, will I be able to transfer all my ITunes music to it? I want somthing as small as the IPOD, and with as much flexibility for creating playlists and stuff like that.

Or is the IPOD the only game in town?

I dunno but based on popularity I would have to say it's about the only game in town. It's got the right blend of storage, ease of use and after market bits.

I bought a 2002 Bus in Ft Lauderdale and rode it up the East coast to Up state NY (I live in Seattle) in mid November and I used My Ipod the whole way. I was able to put it it to the map pouch ans although I could control it through the clear plastic, it was a bit of a ##### woth gloves on. I found that the ear pieces dont fit like I would like but all in all I love my Ipod. I get about 7 hours of continous play out of it before having to rechang it. Now I need to figure out how to interface it in to my com system on my Gold Wing.

2 BUKU

I havent been impress with any of the Mp3 player battery life Greg. I have owned several except for the IPod. My lastest mp3 was a Iriver  (schweet n deed ) but once again, the battey life wasnt up to my standards.  The dam thing was rated at 14 hr of play time and I was only able to get 7 hr. Atfer a week of this shiat , I just took it back and got new and improve ""HI""mini disc that is capable of playing 45 hr of music on a 1 gig mini disc or 5hrs on a 80mb minidisc and will last up to 16 hr.  So far I have been impress with it and dont see myself going back to the mp3 anytime soon

One cool thing that I like about this mini disc is that I am able to down load music ,live recording (Concert) and record music from our digital cable music channel server which offer an assortment of continues music (Rap,RNB,Rock,Punk Rock,Reggae,Bluegrass etc.) all I have to do is set and forget about it .  Once it has finished recording I also have the option to up load it (HI speed)to my computer to edit with the supplied software .Usually this is not the case because 90% of the music they play in the categories I choose all seem to be what I like.  

Hope this helps you .

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101929126 -->

BUKU
That dial seems to be touch sensitive. It works great with fingers, OK with leather gloves and pretty bad with cloth gloves. I think it has something to do with the texture. This is something else I do not like. And my battery does not last half that long.

<!--EDIT|Thinker62
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101925887 -->

Yeah Minidiscs are cool... Buddy had one, used it alot.

Herez a photo, check out how slim it is.

DSC01787.JPG

I have had a couple Sony Mini Discs. They were OK, but I still had to carry discs around. I also didn't have the flexibility of creating playlists, (Jazz, Hip Hop, R&B, Old School, Easy Listenning, Dancehall, POP, Funk/Disco, etc) I would have to carry 5-10 mini discs around to have the flexibility I enjoy now.

I also had skipping problems with the Sony mounted on my Stem Stand, but that might just be a function of the player.

if I go to Iriver or some other player, is there a way to transfer my ITunes music to it? Apple might have me on lockdown since I have loaded about 200 CD's on my IPOD.

I have heard that the Iriver is good stuff as well.  Still pretty certain that Ipod is the way to go though...[/QUOTE]

I couldnt agree with you more on this Rev,if you referring to the sound qaulity of the Ipod . It just boils down to the individuals priorities. The only mp3 player that I would ever own again would be the creative , now this babies will hold up and give ya exactly what it is spec out at.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101928390 -->

BUKU
That dial seems to be touch sensitive. It works great with fingers, OK with leather gloves and pretty bad with cloth gloves. I think it has something to do with the texture. This is something else I do not like. And my battery does not last half that long.
Hey Greg, I was wondering if you keep the iPod hooked up to your current bike speaker set-up?
rock.gif
If so, this is where I think your battery drain is coming from. I'm sure the iPod isn't designed to push out that type of power. If what I'm thinking is true, then it's because of the excessive output. Just my .02. One other thing is that maybe you have a faulty set of batteries. One thing to remember about batteries that you can recharge: It's not good to keep charging them continously without letting them fully discharge sometimes. I'm by no means an electronics expert, but I do read a lot and listen when people who are "in-the-know" are speaking.
smile.gif

Brian

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:4.09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have had a couple Sony Mini Discs. They were OK, but I still had to carry discs around. I also didn't have the flexibility of creating playlists, (Jazz, Hip Hop, R&B, Old School, Easy Listenning, Dancehall, POP, Funk/Disco, etc) I would have to carry 5-10 mini discs around to have the flexibility I enjoy now. [/QUOTE]

NOt with this baby ! I have owned an earlier sony MD  as well G. You can designate different group for you different styles of music and like I said with a 1 gig mini disc you can get up to 45 hrs no more carrying extra MD baby.

Herez the charging cradle it comes with and will fully recharge in a hr.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101927674 -->

DSC01788.JPG

I have a Creative Nomad 30gb. Was about $200 at CC
A little larger than ipod, cheaper, has advantage of being able to use for storage and transfer of large data files. Not as convenient as a plug and pay external harddrive, you have to use the Creative software to tranfer. Comes with a rubberized case that protects pretty good, have been pretty rough with it with no problems. It has an internal removable NiMH battery that last about 5 hours. You can even store the ripped CDs as full size WAV files if you are concerned about compression quality loss (with a 10X reduction in song capacity) These things are just notebook size hardrives mounted in a case. The flash memory based mp3 players are much smaller but you can't have hundreds of albums stored in them. No experience with MD. I have a MP3-capable Walkman CD player that I don't use snce I got the Nomad.

BUKU
Hey Greg, I was wondering if you keep the iPod hooked up to your current bike speaker set-up?
rock.gif
 If so, this is where I think your battery drain is coming from.  I'm sure the iPod isn't designed to push out that type of power.  If what I'm thinking is true, then it's because of the excessive output.  Just my .02.  One other thing is that maybe you have a faulty set of batteries.  One thing to remember about batteries that you can recharge:  It's not good to keep charging them continously without letting them fully discharge sometimes.  I'm by no means an electronics expert, but I do read a lot and listen when people who are "in-the-know" are speaking.
smile.gif

Brian
Yes, I use the IPOD on the bike, but I do not think that is the problem.

1. The IPOD puts out its normal sound thru the earphone jack. It is the amp that boosts the power to the level that we hear.

2. I have used my Ipod on some long International flights and I am pretty sure the batteries don't hold up. And even if they lasted 7 hours, they would be dead by the time I am half way to my destination. That sucks!

I know a little bit about batteries, cause we use them with our products. The problem you are describing is called a memory problem. This is a serious problem with certain batteries like Nicads, but not much a problem with newer batts like NiMH. But as long as you exercise the batteries, you shouldn't have a problem. And believe me, I run them all the way down frequently. One day, I will conduct a test tosee exactly how long I am getting from a charge.

One other thing is that maybe you have a faulty set of batteries. One thing to remember about batteries that you can recharge[/QUOTE]

Um, thats true but that not why his Ipod is dyeing out so quickly. From what I was told the manufacters rate the battery life of the system based on it running continues with out you touching any buttons . When you start searching or pausing, or using the on screen display etc. the battery life just goes st8 to hell .

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:1.03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Creative Nomad 30gb. Was about $200 at CC
A little larger than ipod, cheaper, has advantage of being able to use for storage and transfer of large data files. Not as convenient as a plug and pay external harddrive, you have to use the Creative software to tranfer. Comes with a rubberized case that protects pretty good, have been pretty rough with it with no problems. It has an internal removable NiMH battery that last about 5 hours. You can even store the ripped CDs as full size WAV files if you are concerned about compression quality loss (with a 10X reduction in song capacity) These things are just notebook size hardrives mounted in a case. The flash memory based mp3 players are much smaller but you can't have hundreds of albums stored in them. No experience with MD. I have a MP3-capable Walkman CD player that I don't use snce I got the Nomad.
[/QUOTE]

Yep , thats the one I use to have til I drove the mutha into the ground
cool.gif
  I loved that MP3.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101927582 -->

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.p....66257d9

Here is a good source to ask your question Greg. I believe  the HI mini disc capable of giving you what you.  Dont forget Pimp, great mindz think alike.  One more note ,there no radio.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101928276 -->

I will do some reading, but I just may have too much time invested in Apple to make a switch. All that proprietary shid will bite them in the butt one day, just like it did with the computer.

1 gig Hi MD is capable of holding 45hr of music, Champ.

Nuttn to it, but to do it !

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101928819 -->

DSC01789.JPG

1 gig Hi MD is capable of holding 45hr of music, Champ.

Nuttn to it, but to do it !
I heard ya bro, but my IPOD holds 15GB, or 200-300 hours, and I am using most of it right now.

But my biggest question would be how easy it would be to transfer my music from Apple's proprietary ITunes to a mini CD. If I would have to start over, that would be a significant time investment. It took a long time to get all that music downloaded. But I will look into it.

Back