Followup on earlier "Gym workout" strand

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
I'm starting a new post here because sometimes folks don't return to strands they have already looked at. I was pleased at how many org members are serious "gym rats" with a regular work out schedule (including some pm's too).
The subject I wanted to point out here is that a lot of folks describe a complex workout and then on certain days just enter the term "cardio". That seems prevalent at the two gyms I frequent as well. I am the farthest thing from anyone's "personal trainer" but I would like to say something about cardio. I fear that, for some, the term means about 15 minutes on the treadmill and that's all. Kind of, "you gotta do it then it's over". What I've discovered is a level of aerobic fittness I never thought I could get to, from LSD training (long steady distance). I know there is a nice minimum of like 1/2 hr, 3x's a week but I'm not referring to that, I mean something like a 100 mile bicycle ride and home and showered by 2pm....never sprinting or getting to maximum heartrate range. Some current research shows the benefits of myochondria growth in the body, the results of steady exercise (ie cycling, running, swimming, hiking, etc.). Less injuries, stronger heart, large oxygen intake capability and gaining both power and strength! Books are written about this subject so I sure can't do it justice in a post however, if you're into this level of personal performance, I suggest you read "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing" by Dr. Philip Maffetone.
Please don't think I'm all puffed up and blowing my own horn, I just want to share this stuff with my like minded org homies. I'm 5'11",about 220 lbs and this last summer I rode a bicycle through Colorado, 10 passes, over 500 miles in 7 days....and felt great the whole time! Oh yeah, at 64 years of age too. I never ride less than 120 miles weekly, this coming summer I'm going back to Colorado and will include the mountains of southern Wyoming as well. Because of all this, my motorcycle riding is not static, it's improving! My reflexes, strength, endurance and judgement at the end of a long day is really high for an old guy. On the bicycle, at the end of a 40 mile course, I sprint with 30 year olds and frequently win! (nothing better than to power past past the young warriors, they hate it!) Well, if you read this, thanks, I often get motivated by others, that's what this post is about. Sincerely, Doyle

ps just had another thought....don't say, "I don't have enough time for that" because doing it will probably add 10-15 years longevity to your life...that'll give you plenty extra time!

on another variation the controlled breathing / slow motion of tai chi will develope many normally underused muscle groups. Diet, conditioned body, and how you have worked out for the past years will help prove endurance. Make the most of you ATP...in the most generic sense.

Dear Raydog,

I thought 45 minutes of stationary bike spinning followed by treadmill for half hour once a week was doing pretty good but damn....

You are putting in some serious time.

Dear Raydog,

I thought 45 minutes of stationary bike spinning followed by treadmill for half hour once a week was doing pretty good but damn....

You are putting in some serious time.

Lamb! You referred to yourself in the first person! I'm so happy, on my thread too.

In response to your point about a lot of time, when I busted sixtytwo, I realized that if I didn't completely adjust my lifestyle, it would soon be too late to make much of a difference (amazing gains and fitness are still available to us in our sixties). You can always improve your health and fitness, but starting AFTER seventy just doesn't yield profound gains in strength and endurance compared to a person that arrives AT 70 already in supurb shape. So, I picked bicycling because there are amazing 75 year old cyclists all over the world that live injury and disease free....plus there really is a "crossover" effect with motorcycling (balance, reactions, body strength, cornering techniques, etc.) thereby potentially extending my motorcycle involvement many years. Anyways, CU this summer! Doyle

Awesome...Keep up the good work old man:poke::laugh:, J/J ... I can only hope to still be that fit and mobile at your age:thumbsup:

I seen where you commented on my workout on your last thread but you said you was starting another thread so I figured I would just wait.

I definitely know what you mean about using " Cardio " on your workout sheet or in describing part of your routine..:laugh: When I made that workout it was just for me and my workout buddy. I would have listed all the different options of stretching and endurance training that could be done if I was planning on sharing. I really don't like cardio, in the sense of, treadmills, running around the block...ect., On those two days that I have "Stretching/Cardio", we do a variaty of training. We will alternate from, Yoga, Xtreme Stretching, Muay Thai, Swimming, etc...(For about a 1hr) most of which are from P90X or Insanity. With the occansional Treadmill, Eliptical, Bike..:banghead:, but still for an hour and very intensly. :laugh:

Again...Keep Up the good work....:thumbsup:Give us young bucks something to inspire to be when we get that age:whistle::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::laugh:

Awesome...Keep up the good work old man:poke::laugh:, J/J ... I can only hope to still be that fit and mobile at your age:thumbsup:

I seen where you commented on my workout on your last thread but you said you was starting another thread so I figured I would just wait.

I definitely know what you mean about using " Cardio " on your workout sheet or in describing part of your routine..:laugh: When I made that workout it was just for me and my workout buddy. I would have listed all the different options of stretching and endurance training that could be done if I was planning on sharing. I really don't like cardio, in the sense of, treadmills, running around the block...ect., On those two days that I have "Stretching/Cardio", we do a variaty of training. We will alternate from, Yoga, Xtreme Stretching, Muay Thai, Swimming, etc...(For about a 1hr) most of which are from P90X or Insanity. With the occansional Treadmill, Eliptical, Bike..:banghead:, but still for an hour and very intensly. :laugh:

Again...Keep Up the good work....:thumbsup:Give us young bucks something to inspire to be when we get that age:whistle::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::laugh:

That's good news re: your cardio, sounds very adequate. The thing about my age is that I must train harder to compensate for the natural endurance strength and muscle loss expected from aging. What I've found is that, at my extreme intensity (at least for my age) I've been able to stay competitive with folks 30 years younger which is really a motivator for me. Thanks for your good thoughts and keep up that Yoga! Doyle

That's good news re: your cardio, sounds very adequate. The thing about my age is that I must train harder to compensate for the natural endurance strength and muscle loss expected from aging. What I've found is that, at my extreme intensity (at least for my age) I've been able to stay competitive with folks 30 years younger which is really a motivator for me. Thanks for your good thoughts and keep up that Yoga! Doyle

Sounds like you have it down to a T for what exactly works best for you. And I think thats a big factor as well, is finding the routine that does the job best for you, cuz every"body" is different ... right !!! And you know that motivation works both ways. Because for me being right around that 30 mark and a gentleman twice my age was hanging right there with me. That would make me push twice as hard, not only for the not getting embarrassed part:laugh:, but mainly for the...thats where I want to be in my mid 60's part....JMO!!:thumbsup:

You are a model of health and fitness for us to strive to be in the latter years of life !!! Great Work :thumbsup:

I'm VERY impressed Doyle for two reasons:

1. I need to get off my lazy butt before it gets too late for me to (I'm 50). I try, but wife/job/child limits me to about an hour on the elliptical 3 nights a week if I'm lucky (while I watch the MOTOGP races on my TV :) thank you for offering your experience!

2. You actually got Lamb to speak in the first person which is a FIRST :beerchug:

Besides the importance of the subject, you guys and your personalities give this discussion major entertainment value! Re: food....my one downfall. Don't take chocolate chip cookies from me, or Italian food, or buritoes! I weigh 220 but would and should weigh 195 if I reduced my intake. I do take all the right supplements though (good whey protein shakes, all vitamins, dhea, you guys know the list). Being a bicyclist, every unnecessary pound really shows when hammering over a 12,000 ft mountain pass, plus it feels really good to have to buy smaller jeans and belt! Blood pressure is around 108/68 so things are looking good. One other point.....lifelong injuries that we must put up with....long ago I severly injured my back, neck and shoulders in a police pursuit and live with chronic pain, especially in my neck. I have learned to manage the pain (always there) as opposed to stopping movement as soon as the pain flares up. Most people STOP movement and swallow drugs for pain....I push through it and do flexibility movements and that path has served me well. Just wanted to mention that cause we all get some sort of pain and it should not be an excuse (unless a 300 lb barbell falls on your chest or you crash your bicycle @ 40mph on a mountain pass! That is a different kind of pain!). Doyle

Besides the importance of the subject, you guys and your personalities give this discussion major entertainment value! Re: food....my one downfall. Don't take chocolate chip cookies from me, or Italian food, or buritoes! I weigh 220 but would and should weigh 195 if I reduced my intake. I do take all the right supplements though (good whey protein shakes, all vitamins, dhea, you guys know the list). Being a bicyclist, every unnecessary pound really shows when hammering over a 12,000 ft mountain pass, plus it feels really good to have to buy smaller jeans and belt! Blood pressure is around 108/68 so things are looking good. One other point.....lifelong injuries that we must put up with....long ago I severly injured my back, neck and shoulders in a police pursuit and live with chronic pain, especially in my neck. I have learned to manage the pain (always there) as opposed to stopping movement as soon as the pain flares up. Most people STOP movement and swallow drugs for pain....I push through it and do flexibility movements and that path has served me well. Just wanted to mention that cause we all get some sort of pain and it should not be an excuse (unless a 300 lb barbell falls on your chest or you crash your bicycle @ 40mph on a mountain pass! That is a different kind of pain!). Doyle

HOOAH!!! Don't know if you was in the service but Spoken like a true soldier none the less Sir!!!

Back