Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: second bike sometime in the near future

  1. #1
    Call me Liberace!
    ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Northwest
    Posts
    5,281

    Default second bike sometime in the near future

    the busa's getting an exhaust, undercut trans, ecueditor, and spray for starters. if that's not enough, a 1397 or 1441 will be in the works next winter. now, the second bike is going to have tc, abs, and be something i can throw an exhaust on and enjoy it being fast. not busa fast, but fast. track days will be in the future, it'll be a 1000. the two i'm considering are...


    BMW S1000RR and the Ducati 1199 Panigale. keep in mind, in a year, the s1k should be obtainable for somewhere in the high 8's low 9's with low miles. the ducati will be more expensive, most likely 12-15k used, as they're supposed to fill the same slot as the current 1198 and at that price point, a year old used example should be in that neighborhood. i can do my own maintenance, valve adjustments, i don't mind buying special tools. in fact i <3 special tools, lol. anyway, what do you guys think? after the busa has had some long overdue lovin, what would a good second bike be?
    Thankful for his Friends...

    2006 Raiment White Hayabusa
    Lumen Junkie in Residence
    Why retros are safer than HID kits

  2. #2
    Top Gun dragonbusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    decaturville TN
    Posts
    1,369
    Images
    4

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    I"m digging this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    02 paint by me.seat by me. yosh pipes,PC111,brocks clutch mod,FBG clutch,40lbs schnitz springs, slave support,votex tripple clamp,dog bones,muzzy air shift,16/47s,msd launch control,harland shift light,9 inch stretch, 60" pingel wheelie bar

  3. #3
    Top Gun sixpack577's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    7,596

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    09 to 11 gsxr1000, no abs or tc, but an awesome bike.
    Christ is Lord

  4. #4
    Hayabusa Immortal

    lil charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8,370

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    I love the BMW; if I had the cash it would be my next bike. Just be careful and wait until the big D is final. She will own 1/2 of everything you buy while still legally married.
    If you have to ask me why...you wouldn't understand!!
    &
    Don't mess with Vabs....she's a sneaky one!

  5. #5
    Hayabusa Immortal
    sportcustoms71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    quantico, va
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    if i could have the best of both worlds i would take the bmw and the ducati
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

  6. #6
    Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1

    Twobrothersbusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mc Donald, TN
    Posts
    4,362
    Images
    3

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Your initial costs on the BMW or Ducati might be somewhat reasonable, but when you wad one up at a track day....you will not like the cost of trying to repair it. Only skill varies the speed of just about any of the liter bikes at the track. I've passed many a BMW on my 07 GSXR only to have it handed to me on a platter by another GSXR. The rider is what makes them fast.

    You'll love driving the 1000 no matter what flavor you buy. They are fast, fast, fast, and unlike the BUSA they can stop on a dime.
    2008 Hayabusa - Gone but not forgotten...
    2007 GSXR1000
    2012 GSXR1000
    2012 Kawasaki Concours
    Sierra Mist is the devil

    IDMBT#1



  7. #7
    Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes

    skydivr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant View, TN
    Posts
    14,827
    Images
    13

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    I agree with TwoBrothers, but could I offer you a piece of advice?

    You are a young man, right now flush with cash/income with little expenses. But that can quickly change, crap happens. Don't do this unless all your bills are paid, you have an emergency fund and are funding some savings......and can pay cash for it (and insurance)....

    P.S. Having said all that, I'm jonesing for a S1000 RR sooo bad...
    09BusaDrvr likes this.

  8. #8
    Hayabusa Master Tiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ooltewah, TN
    Posts
    1,910

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Quote Originally Posted by skydivr View Post
    I agree with TwoBrothers, but could I offer you a piece of advice?

    You are a young man, right now flush with cash/income with little expenses. But that can quickly change, crap happens. Don't do this unless all your bills are paid, you have an emergency fund and are funding some savings......and can pay cash for it (and insurance)....

    P.S. Having said all that, I'm jonesing for a S1000 RR sooo bad...
    Keith, Just remember an S1000RR will not make you faster. You have a fantastic bike for the track that is 1/3 the cost of a BMW. Just clear your mind and use that right hand and you are STUPID fast!... even without a BMW

    2006 GSXR 1000 - Race Hoe
    2002 Suzuki TL1000R - Y/B

    TEAM GIXXER RACING - "If you can't be fast, you GOTTA LOOK GOOD!"

  9. #9
    Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes

    skydivr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant View, TN
    Posts
    14,827
    Images
    13

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
    Keith, Just remember an S1000RR will not make you faster. You have a fantastic bike for the track that is 1/3 the cost of a BMW. Just clear your mind and use that right hand and you are STUPID fast!... even without a BMW
    I don't want the bike because it would make me faster (but I would like to see how it climbed out of the hole against Charlie with a 2+ sprocket); I want it because it is a work of art in the Patriot Scheme...I didn't say I'd sell my gixxer...but, my Harley is a different matter....

  10. #10
    Hayabusa Master Tiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ooltewah, TN
    Posts
    1,910

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Quote Originally Posted by skydivr View Post
    I don't want the bike because it would make me faster (but I would like to see how it climbed out of the hole against Charlie with a 2+ sprocket); I want it because it is a work of art in the Patriot Scheme...I didn't say I'd sell my gixxer...but, my Harley is a different matter....
    Now I am on board with you getting rid or your ghetto pimpin ride for one

    2006 GSXR 1000 - Race Hoe
    2002 Suzuki TL1000R - Y/B

    TEAM GIXXER RACING - "If you can't be fast, you GOTTA LOOK GOOD!"

  11. #11
    Hayabusa Master Tiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ooltewah, TN
    Posts
    1,910

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Back on topic... I would reccomend starting out with maybe a less expensive liter bike that would be just as good. Maybe just to make sure that is exactly what you want. You can have an great gsxr 1k from 06 on up for 1/2 the cost of a used bmw it be just as good. It will also help a lot when you wreck it (if you are at the track it will happen eventually) nothabing to refinance your house just to pay to fix it

    I understand the BMW is a gorgeous bike and a work of art but why pay all that money for some options that really only come into play when riding at its max capability

    2006 GSXR 1000 - Race Hoe
    2002 Suzuki TL1000R - Y/B

    TEAM GIXXER RACING - "If you can't be fast, you GOTTA LOOK GOOD!"

  12. #12
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Married to HRH Grammy

    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Franklin County, VT
    Posts
    2,962
    Images
    17

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
    Back on topic... I would reccomend starting out with maybe a less expensive liter bike that would be just as good. Maybe just to make sure that is exactly what you want. You can have an great gsxr 1k from 06 on up for 1/2 the cost of a used bmw it be just as good. It will also help a lot when you wreck it (if you are at the track it will happen eventually) nothabing to refinance your house just to pay to fix it

    I understand the BMW is a gorgeous bike and a work of art but why pay all that money for some options that really only come into play when riding at its max capability
    I don't know that I totaly agree with the last part of the post. There are options on the bike, like ABS, that do come in to play even when you aren't riding at it's max. I'm not suggesting that these take the place of seat/track time and skill but you don't have to ride the bike full out to get the benefit.
    Failure is not an option. (It comes bundled with the software)

  13. #13
    Hayabusa Master Tiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ooltewah, TN
    Posts
    1,910

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I don't know that I totaly agree with the last part of the post. There are options on the bike, like ABS, that do come in to play even when you aren't riding at it's max. I'm not suggesting that these take the place of seat/track time and skill but you don't have to ride the bike full out to get the benefit.
    You are right.. ABS maybe on the street. I was talking about more track riding. And if you are riding so hard on the track that you are needing ABS to keep your tire from locking up then you are riding it pretty dang hard which was my explanation.

    2006 GSXR 1000 - Race Hoe
    2002 Suzuki TL1000R - Y/B

    TEAM GIXXER RACING - "If you can't be fast, you GOTTA LOOK GOOD!"

  14. #14
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Married to HRH Grammy

    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Franklin County, VT
    Posts
    2,962
    Images
    17

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    I see what you were saying and agree with you. I was coming at it from the angle of some times having the electronics (ABC,DTC, etc) can keep a rider from going down in a situation where he/she may otherwise have. The trick is not becoming dependant on the electronics in place of skill.

    I've got an S1000RR and have taken out on the track a couple times. In one case, I was riding with a friend and one of the track instructors working on lines and got caught up in traffic and seperated. Like a dummy, (not because I had the BMW, I had no brains at the moment) as soon as I cleared the slower group I hammered on the throttle trying to catch back up to them and went to hot in to the corner then I looked up instead of through the turn and started to go wide off the track. I was able to get on the ABS and bring the bike to a stop off the track without locking up the front wheel or laying down the bike. I had to change my leathers after that.
    Failure is not an option. (It comes bundled with the software)

  15. #15
    Hayabusa Master Tiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ooltewah, TN
    Posts
    1,910

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The trick is not becoming dependant on the electronics in place of skill.

    .
    Very much AGREED!!! And I see your point as well. And maybe it is only because I cannot afford a BMW

    2006 GSXR 1000 - Race Hoe
    2002 Suzuki TL1000R - Y/B

    TEAM GIXXER RACING - "If you can't be fast, you GOTTA LOOK GOOD!"

  16. #16
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Married to HRH Grammy

    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Franklin County, VT
    Posts
    2,962
    Images
    17

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    The only reason I have it is because I happened in to one of those in the right place at the right time deals
    Failure is not an option. (It comes bundled with the software)

  17. #17
    Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes

    skydivr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant View, TN
    Posts
    14,827
    Images
    13

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The only reason I have it is because I happened in to one of those in the right place at the right time deals
    You'll have to tell me how you did that...that's the kind of deal I'd want

  18. #18
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Married to HRH Grammy

    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Franklin County, VT
    Posts
    2,962
    Images
    17

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    If I knew, I'd write a book, retire and spend my time chasing team gixer around the track!

    Diana and I are planning on attending the fall bash if you want to take it for s spin.
    Failure is not an option. (It comes bundled with the software)

  19. #19
    Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes

    skydivr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant View, TN
    Posts
    14,827
    Images
    13

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    If I knew, I'd write a book, retire and spend my time chasing team gixer around the track!

    Diana and I are planning on attending the fall bash if you want to take it for s spin.
    Oh....I would be eternally grateful...but maybe you'd better talk to Tuf first

  20. #20
    Call me Liberace!
    ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Northwest
    Posts
    5,281

    Default Re: second bike sometime in the near future

    damn you all and your logic, lol. nothing will be purchased until i'm completely single on paper. and i'm not financing anything. if i can't cash it out, i don't need it. i have a house payment and a jeep payment, i'm not adding another payment until at least one of those are paid off.
    Thankful for his Friends...

    2006 Raiment White Hayabusa
    Lumen Junkie in Residence
    Why retros are safer than HID kits

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •