Police dog attacks teenage girl at school

^Completely agree. the officers should also be disaplined for not securing the animal. Arent they usually caged in the vehical? Local Pooche's are.

reading the article...apparantly the door lock failed...(electrical defect) and they belive door was opened by someone...honestly that to me does not sound like they did not "secure" thier animal. as for it attacking without command....yes....not trained well....unreliable...as for the "expense" justifiying not putting down...blah blah blah...i understand our perspective...unreliable is unreliable.

I think to say they found a fuse that was bad is a silly excuse.
A simple admission that he may have left it unlocked and an apology as well as financial restitution would suffice. A kid most likely opened the door and let him out. Did he attack the girl, yes but I don't see need to call to have him out down. I wouldn't advocate having Brett's dog or my dog put down unless it had a history and was just plain mean. Dogs make mistakes and like us hopefully the dog can be trained some more to prevent this again. Most police dogs I see are usually better trained than the officer handling them :laugh:

Not here, if your dog bites someone they will be put down. It could be a burglar attacking you in your house. If your dog bites him they will take your dog and put it down. No if ands or buts. It's the same in many states. Yet here is an example of police having "special" treatment.

Not here, if your dog bites someone they will be put down. It could be a burglar attacking you in your house. If your dog bites him they will take your dog and put it down. No if ands or buts. It's the same in many states. Yet here is an example of police having "special" treatment.
If that was to happen in my house the intruder can expect not to leave unless in a body bag
My dog is here to protect my family and im here to protect them and him
Ill not go into further detail
But no one will touch my dog for protecting my family plain n simple

I really believe we are lookind at two totally different things here.

Through the ages going back thousands of years, domestic dogs were exterminated if they showed the slightest aggression towards their owners. And so dogs were bred. In a domestic environment an agressive dog will always be a risk and really belongs somewhere else. Police dogs are a different situation all together. They are trained for a specific purpose and agression is part of the training. So we have to accept that as with a typical gun accident, there could be a dog accident.

Were it my dog, yes it would be put down.

If I was an LEO, and this was a work dog, different situation.

My little guy pictured below, will probably be your best friend, should you try and rob my house. But at least I know, should my neighbor's 6 year old grandson wonder into my yard, he is totally safe and there is no risk. That is a lot more important than any material goods could ever be.

002_edited-1.jpg

002_edited-1.jpg

My little guy pictured below, will probably be your best friend, should you try and rob my house. But at least I know, should my neighbor's 6 year old grandson wonder into my yard, he is totally safe and there is no risk. That is a lot more important than any material goods could ever be.

+1 - A dog trained to guard and protect always runs the risk of getting it wrong.

I see where u are coming from but its not the material he(my dog) defends its a 4 yr old he protects
Yes police dogs are trained for attacks but seems this one was not as good? Or something?
But i guess it not a same sinario between my dog and a police dog

Sounds, to me, like..
The cop forgot to lock the door. (or thought he didn't need to)
Some punk kid opened the door
Dog got out, bunch of kids ran, dog spotted the girl running away and chased the target, just like he was trained to do..

Not the dogs fault, it was doing what it was trained to do... Blame the cop and the kid that let the dog out...

I should also mention I lived next door to a K9 deputy.... The sheriffs own words "just don't run away from him"...

I see where u are coming from but its not the material he(my dog) defends its a 4 yr old he protects
Yes police dogs are trained for attacks but seems this one was not as good? Or something?
But i guess it not a same sinario between my dog and a police dog

If your dog would let someone leave in a body bag, how do you know for sure that it will never turn on your 4 year old, as he grows up and experiments with the dog?

If your dog would let someone leave in a body bag, how do you know for sure that it will never turn on your 4 year old, as he grows up and experiments with the dog?

I wont let them leave unless in a body bag
Its legal in this state
Kindom law or something like that
He is just the main deterant and will slow them down
My daughter can lay on him he does nothing
Forgot to mention
Full blood chow
Mean as a snake but one of the most loyal breed of dog out there to their owners ;)

Castle Law. Can't wait to get back to Texas with full Castle Law and out of the "one Justifiable Homicide in the history of the country" Japan

Most police dogs I see are usually better trained than the officer handling them :laugh:
u got that right.

dogs like people can sometimes make mistakes tho. they are animals and to be honest with you I have seen way more people then dogs act like animals.....:whistle:

just because a bog bites someone they are not mean they are put down. it doesnt work like that. I dont know where some of you are getting that notion. thats absurd actually, especially if the dog is protecting you in ur home. but its unfortunate we cannot put some people down the way we put dogs down....:banghead:

guess its three sets of rules now.. one for normal people. one for cops and now one for their dogs

hum i just saw a demonstration here the other day of a door that can be remotely opened by the officer if in trouble for the dog to jump out, kind of like a panic button, probably the same on that vehicle mentioned here, i bet he hit the button accidently, never the less the dogs not really well trained if it bit someone without command, sad to say if it were any of our dogs it would be put down, you’re going to have a hard time arguing to put down a K-9 officer for that, but they may retire him.

I know we werent there and have the entire story but being someone that went through a trained shepherd in a bite situation(search my name you'll find the story on here). It kind of sounds to me maybe the dog was overwhelmed and didnt so much as "attack" but got a little rambunctious with her. If a properly trained shepherd bites theres damage. Mine didnt even pull or twist just locked down on the guy and darn near went through his arm. Should a properly trained dog bite or make a run without command no, do mistakes happen yes, no matter how well trained they still have to think for themselves.

My dog was trained to a level slightly higher than what police dogs generally are trained to, someone could rush him and he would not budge unless ordered. As for the house thing, again look up my thread on here, mine had no previous behavior problems or "aggressive nature". Was sent by me on command in my own house to an armed threat, was called back when police arrived and sat by my side while they handled the guys and i still fought for his life for years before he ended up dying in the pounds kennel from cancer. Would i have done anything different, nope.

I was a K-9 officer and that dog shouldn't have chased unless commanded to . My Dog was a marshmellow unless you were threatening/yelling at me or I said the command . When I told my dog to sit or stay , it did not matter if people were running around . poorly trained is what it comes down to and i'm talking about the officer and dog.

Back