Anyone with experience in Digital slot cars

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I've been looking into slot cars to race with my son (first time in 25 years) and decided if I go with the standard type of sets to get the AFX Super International 4 lane track...decent price range and be done with it.

I can't decide if I should look into the digital scene a bit more because it is very very tempting, but major costs. Plus side is you can expand these tracks a great deal in the future and they are MUCH more realistic.

The analog set has settings and can slow down for my son (2 1/2 years old) and can grow into it a bit. The digital set is more for adults (me) but he can still run one lane until he gets older. I have a feeling I would regret not going digital in the long run.

Cars can switch lanes due to digital chip.

Optional add ons:
Digital lap counter tower. Set braking power. Read fuel guages and have to refuel down pit lane. Larger scale cars.

+1 (916) 784-1722 its long distance for you but the only thing I have for ya.

This is fast track hobbies where I go for Rc, but they run indoor slot car tracks, should be able to talk to anyone there, they are cool people.

I don't know much about them, but digital sounds like the way to go to me.

Cool, thanks.

I spoke with my local shop last night and he is a great help with my RC stuff, but he had no experience with this digital scene yet. He ordered the International set to have in stock for Christmas if I don't get it.

The more I think about it though...I digital is the way to go like you said. Just gotta decide if I want to spend the money.

That is actually real close to what I am thinking about. I am looking at a smaller kit I can hopefully expand off of, similar to the one you showed except it has the pit box station with it which is another $100-$130 part.

Track 10180

Might be an idea with going through them though...I'm going to check with my local shop again tonight because they are his distributor.

I was looking at the sub micro Rc cars recently. They are almost the size of slot cars but are fully Rc with upgradable motors batterys wheels. The works. The indoor tracks are about the same size.

They slot bikes too :rofl:

I've actually been looking for digital bikes, but have only been able to locate analog bikes...so far

I was looking at the sub micro Rc cars recently. They are almost the size of slot cars but are fully Rc with upgradable motors batterys wheels. The works. The indoor tracks are about the same size.

Along with my full size RC stuff, here's some mini's...the Mini T and the Micro Losi. Each can take a brushless motor upgrade to about double the speed. Have 7 cell packs for the Mini.

Can you tell I'm sort of a toyahaulic~?~ :laugh:

100_5686.jpg

100_5687.jpg

Whatever you get, it's going to be awesome! When I was a kid, it was a big hobby for me and my dad, and it was so much fun to head to the local track (they had indoor tracks), and race other kids. I remember my dad sanding rubber tires to gain more grip, and spending hours on the Formula 1 cars to make sure the drivers' faces were painted to look real. Good luck on whatever you buy, and enjoy!

Oh man I loved my Afx speedsters! Would love to get something like that for Adam and I .
Post links of what you buy.

I see some kits that are analog that allow lane changing.
What are other reasons I'd want digital?

I see that one Afx 38 ft track for like $149. Looks like a good one?

I was actually looking into the 4 lane AFX track at first, but decided on digital because of a few reasons:

The digital is much more expandable with pit box (pit rows) that function with set fuel levels that actually cut your car to half speed and sputters when you hit reserve on the electronics. You can program the power you want each car to have (perfect for a 2 year old). Some AfX tracks have 3 settings on the transformer. You also can add on digital lap counters along with quite a few other options.

Also, notice the difference in sizes. You can't really tell by the videos but the AFX/Tyco tracks are much smaller. Digital tracks seem to be mostly 1/32 scale. Here's a comparison.

Slot car vehicles for miniature car racing competetions are available in:

•1:24 scale for commercial racetracks. Cars are 7-8 inches 18-20 cm. long. Tracks are too large for normal home use.

•1:32 (equivalent to the old #1 Gauge of toy trains) is a popular competition scale which can also be used at home on larger layouts. 1:32 is the same scale as Britain’s toy soldiers and figures. 1:32 Slot cars are 5-6 inches (13-15 cm.) long.

HO scales where the cars vary from 1:87 to 1:64 scale.

I went to another shop last night and they had some Carrera brand digital tracks in stock. I like the SCX tracks better. The cross overs that come in the box are both ways (x's) instead of a one way slant. The prices seem to be a bit better.

Unless I change my mind in the next three hours I am going to order the SCX Pit Box track and should be here by Thanksgiving day, I'll post some pics up around Thanksgiving if things work out that way.

To me this looks like a beginner track but can be expanded on a great deal. Comes with 3 cars to start with.

(PIC 3) The AFX track is the one I started looking at to begin with.

(PIC 4) Look at the difference between the SCX (the middle car) and the HO scale (Smaller car (Tyco, AFX))

The remainder of the pics are of the track I am going to order, even though this track looks pretty simple, notice the amount of room it takes to set it up.

I think the perfect goal would be to expand this SCX track to about twice the original size with a couple crossovers and 6 cars total.

afx super international 1.jpg

scx car comparison.png

scx pit box 1.jpg

scx pit box 2.jpg

scx pit box 3.jpg

Something like this would be my eventual goal...Maybe a little far fetched when talking about room and how much the wife will be on board with :laugh: Well see down the road

well, this brought back some memories. i'll be moving into a 3bdrm Apt. all by myself. my nephews (5 and 9) live right down the street from the Apt. i might just look into getting this.

Back