My perspective on America, whats wrong and how to fix it.

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I have been watching the forum over the past few days and keeping touch on the discussions that have been posted. First and foremost the one thing that we have to make sure we always keep in front of ourselves at all cost is that we are all Americans, brothers and sisters in this country together... Above all, Republican, Democrat, Conservative or Liberal I think we can all say that we want great things for our country. I deep down in my heart believe that even those people that I don't agree with want what is best for the country, I don't think that the democrats or republicans are out to destroy the country.

There is no doubt that our country is in some tough times, we are at a point where special interest groups are being formed and there are more stereo types being thrown around that it get's confusing on even what group you want to be a part of. Let's face it, there is the 1% which I'm pretty sure that I don't qualify for, the 99% that is protesting, but hey how can I be part of the 99% if I don't agree with everything, no one asked me what I thought. Who's speaking for me again?

We have seen a similiar problem in congress recently with democrats and republicans just digging in no matter what. There are things that I agree with the democrats and things that I agree with the republicans. I tend to have more of the same thoughts as the GOP so I am a registered Republican. Where the system has failed is that our leaders are voting the party line and not what is best for our country. Now I think what we are seeing are those groups that I mentioned before that are now doing the same thing and diggin in at all cost, no matter who it hurts and who it affects.

While I don't disagree with some of the things that the Wall Street Protestors have to say but I completely disagree with how they are trying to get the point across. However they are still my brothers and sisters...

I didn't agree with the bailouts of the large companies and I made that public, but it happenned, the best we can do is to learn and do better next time. I do think that there was a time and still might be a place for Unions, I agree with some of the things that the unions stand for, but I do think they have become the bullies and are abusing the power. No matter what though, they are still my brothers and sisters.

You can absolutely classify me as a Evangelical Christian, I do believe in the father, the son and the holy spirit. I believe that the bible is the inspired word of God. I do my best to live by what I learn as I study the bible and pray. I think that there is a group of people out there that call themselves Christians but have forgotten how to Love their neighbor and pray for our enemies. I teach a Sunday school class at my church each week, one thing I try to get across to them is that we should love the sinner and hate the sin. This doesn't mean that we should walk around hating people, calling them out, instead I try to live a good life with my faith in Christ and just spread the word. I can't save myself so why would I think that I could save anyone else, the only thing I can do is to spread the gospel as my God commanded me. I told you all of this because I am nothing like the Westboro Baptist that protest funerals of our children and fallen soldiers. If you choose to not be a believer that is okay, the good news is that in this country you have all the choices you want. I don't walk around and smack people with a bible, I know there are some that do but please don't catagorise all Christians in the same bucket.

How do we fix it? First we have to come to a conclusion that our country comes first, meaning that a squabble with my country men isn't worth it if the end goal doesn't bring positive fruits for our American citizens. We have to decide if we are going to be a country of people that sacrifice for greater good or for self gain. We have to change the culture before we can change anything else. If we could get everyone on the mindset to think of their actions and how that impacts the country we would be much better off.

For those people that don't want to get a job, what impact is that having on the country... Stand up and go to work, plenty of jobs out there, maybe not the one you wanted but at least it's bringing in a check. You don't like the job you have, find a way to work your way up...... Go to school, use the Internet there are a millions ways to get better and make something of yourself. To those companies that are making billions, start paying taxes, what is the best for America? To those that are marching in the streets spending millions of dollars in local government dollars, what is the best for America? For every dollar it takes to police or clean up your mess some other program is losing money.... What is best for America?

For me, I will continue to pay my taxes, vote using the freedom that I was offered, speak out respectfully to others and try to win them over. At all cost I will remember that there are many different backgrounds and beliefs but only one America... I will not make accusations to those I disagree with but will offer another perspective for others to consider.

If you want to know what I think I would love to tell you in detail, if you want to tell me what you believe I would love to hear, just don't call me a Nazi or a Westboro follower just because I haven't been able to get my ideas across. I will do my best not to speak out of turn if you will do the same, as we are all American's, now let's start acting like it....

captain...

I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to read such words of wisdom.
I knew there was a reason I liked this place......

I agree. Very well said. I too believe in the word of god. Although sometimes I fall short I still have a loving relationship with him. Sometimes I get angry at others because of there Views but still respect them as a Human Being. Sometimes I offend and for that I am Truly Sorry !!! Any one that knows me can tell you that I would give the shirt off my back to help anyone in Need. As long as it does not Enable them. That is how our country should help each other achieve there goals and dreams.

Thanks Doug !!

Humbling thread Cap. You have greased the wheels of thought making me more aware of thoughts that I reject on occasion.

Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom! :beerchug:

You can absolutely classify me as a Evangelical Christian, I do believe in the father, the son and the holy spirit. I believe that the bible is the inspired word of God. I do my best to live by what I learn as I study the bible and pray. I think that there is a group of people out there that call themselves Christians but have forgotten how to Love their neighbor and pray for our enemies. I teach a Sunday school class at my church each week, one thing I try to get across to them is that we should love the sinner and hate the sin. This doesn't mean that we should walk around hating people, calling them out, instead I try to live a good life with my faith in Christ and just spread the word. I can't save myself so why would I think that I could save anyone else, the only thing I can do is to spread the gospel as my God commanded me. I told you all of this because I am nothing like the Westboro Baptist that protest funerals of our children and fallen soldiers. If you choose to not be a believer that is okay, the good news is that in this country you have all the choices you want. I don't walk around and smack people with a bible, I know there are some that do but please don't catagorise all Christians in the same bucket.
For those people that don't want to get a job, what impact is that having on the country... Stand up and go to work, plenty of jobs out there, maybe not the one you wanted but at least it's bringing in a check. You don't like the job you have, find a way to work your way up...... Go to school, use the Internet there are a millions ways to get better and make something of yourself. captain...

Don't know about the rest, in terms of American politics, but the above, superb,thanks for that Brother.

Best regards Stretch.

Well said. I've started staying out of the political threads. A forum is not a good medium for debating core beliefs. Too many folks wanting to just stir the pot as well.

How do we fix it? First we have to come to a conclusion that our country comes first, meaning that a squabble with my country men isn't worth it if the end goal doesn't bring positive fruits for our American citizens. We have to decide if we are going to be a country of people that sacrifice for greater good or for self gain. We have to change the culture before we can change anything else. If we could get everyone on the mindset to think of their actions and how that impacts the country we would be much better off.

Good post Cap.

Being a US Citizen for only five years, born overseas, college overseas, working in three different countries and doing business in most, my opinions probably differ from most Americans.

1.) This is a very young nation, yet very rounded in its approach and without doubt the best place to live compared to anywhere else on the globe today.

2.) Fully agree with the quoted text you posted above. Democracy is great, but when people start practicing disrespect publically, tearing down each other and the leadership of the country it divides to the extent where it is no longer in the best interests of our nation. With a different background, I am always amazed at what people can say in public and get away with it. Trust me, it is not that easy in most other countries.

3.) You have to look beyond our borders to realize that these difficult times are not as bad as difficult times just about everywhere else in other nations. Europe has major economical issues, worse than here and as they do not stand united, the solutions are much more difficult than here.

4.) Agree the bail-outs were a bad thing, but unfortunately without them we would have been in real trouble today. If the money supply and flow stops, everything stops, businesses cannot raise capital, no growth, more bankruptcies and more unemployment. The problems started long before the bail-outs, with irresponsible lending practices and unrealistic complex derivative investments. Whether we like it or not, this was the product of an unregulated free market.

5.) Where I grew up, you could not just declare bankruptcy or foreclose on a loan, walk away and start fresh. The courts would decide how you pay your debt back, while affording food for your family, this lasting for the rest of your life if necessary. We as Americans have no idea how spoilt we are. Personally, If I had to foreclose on a loan, due to my values it would probably be the end of me, just a very different way of growing up. I believe latest statistics show almost 30% of loans initiated are foreclosed on. This can become a very long complex discussion, but in short one has to understand the powers of world economics and politics that makes these financial practices possible. If we as a nation don't get this under control, we will all suffer.

6.) Finally, I hope we all vote smart in the upcoming elections, to make this still wonderful country even better, with the acceptance that we will all have to tighten our belts a little.

Being a US Citizen for only five years, born overseas, college overseas, working in three different countries and doing business in most, my opinions probably differ from most Americans.

1.) This is a very young nation, yet very rounded in its approach and without doubt the best place to live compared to anywhere else on the globe today.

Awesome reply, jellyrug.

Curious as to what country you originally came from, and the others you have lived/done business in?

Good post Cap.

2.) Fully agree with the quoted text you posted above. Democracy is great, but when people start practicing disrespect publically, tearing down each other and the leadership of the country it divides to the extent where it is no longer in the best interests of our nation. With a different background, I am always amazed at what people can say in public and get away with it. Trust me, it is not that easy in most other countries.

3.) You have to look beyond our borders to realize that these difficult times are not as bad as difficult times just about everywhere else in other nations. Europe has major economical issues, worse than here and as they do not stand united, the solutions are much more difficult than here.

4.) Agree the bail-outs were a bad thing, but unfortunately without them we would have been in real trouble today. If the money supply and flow stops, everything stops, businesses cannot raise capital, no growth, more bankruptcies and more unemployment. The problems started long before the bail-outs, with irresponsible lending practices and unrealistic complex derivative investments. Whether we like it or not, this was the product of an unregulated free market.

5.) Where I grew up, you could not just declare bankruptcy or foreclose on a loan, walk away and start fresh. The courts would decide how you pay your debt back, while affording food for your family, this lasting for the rest of your life if necessary. We as Americans have no idea how spoilt we are. Personally, If I had to foreclose on a loan, due to my values it would probably be the end of me, just a very different way of growing up. I believe latest statistics show almost 30% of loans initiated are foreclosed on. This can become a very long complex discussion, but in short one has to understand the powers of world economics and politics that makes these financial practices possible. If we as a nation don't get this under control, we will all suffer.

6.) Finally, I hope we all vote smart in the upcoming elections, to make this still wonderful country even better, with the acceptance that we will all have to tighten our belts a little.

Thank you for your perspective from an 'transplant's point of view :laugh:

I think you make a couple of really solid points:

- We don't know how good we really have it.
- We have more freedoms here than most places, yet seem to be irresponsible how we use it.
- It's taken us a while to dig ourselves into this hole, but we still have the best tools in the world to dig ourselves out of it, if we can just get our head out of our azz to have the political will to do it and is going to take a sacrifice of ALL to do it.
- Stop borrowing and spending money you have no practical wherewithall or intent to pay back.
- Vote smart

Welcome to the conservative party :)

well put...but in the end...change will only come when we fix what is broken in goverment...term limits for congress and be able to vote out all not just 1/3. otherwise...we will only be a silent majority/minority..as long as there is no real reason for them to ever truely care.

Back