NEW PROJECT. Operation Blinding Tail Light

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So I have put together a Gen2 tail. I am just waiting on the aluminum inner storage piece, COUGHGUYCOUGH.

I got a 100 LED clear alternatives tail light which looks awesome and definitely nice. Only thing is, it is an integrated tail light. That means, for those that dont know, it has turn signals integrated into the tail light which is absolutely not necessary on a Gen2. I love the stock turn signals as they are.

So on to the project. It looks as though there are about 40 or so LEDs out of that 100 that are designated for the left and right turn signals. My project will be to replace those yellows with nice bright red ones so all 100 will be for the brake light. I think I have found the LEDs I want, Now i just need to take voltages and make sure the specs are the same and once I integrate them, I put them in parallel so it will not affect the voltages of the other LEDs.

Pictures to come... I will take voltages hopefully today and get my LEDs ordered soon. It is a fairly cheap mod that should make a huge difference on the brightness of the tail light.

Make sure to take pictures and notes for the write up, we will be waiting and expect a superior product.

If you placed them parallel you should be good with 12 volts DC. LEDs don't use much current, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

Can't wait to see it! You gonna do this for other members??? Hint hint
:laugh:

Via Tapatalk

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................................

:worthless:

There will be a couple things to consider. I might even be able to short the resistors currently on the board and add the new resistors in series also. All depends. Im going to have to write the board up on MultiSim and do some simulations. I need to get my 12V power supply and stuff going.

I have an extra set of dual beam hids that I have been considering fabing into a stock red lens gen 1 tail light. With my own wiring of course so I don't burn out the stock. Idk how long it would last but it would be bright I imagine.

The wiring was a success. I took off 2 components and shorted a couple runs and I now have a fully functional true 100 led tail light. Here's some ok pictures I took. Yes the Leds are still yellow because I have not swapped them yet but the risky part is now over! Ordering the Leds today. These are from my phone and don't do it justice. I'm super happy because I couldn't see well after looking into these for 5 minutes. Way bright. First us running light second is brake

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

uploadfromtaptalk1320436074181.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1320436131509.jpg

yeah those pictures suck. When its all done I will have a day and night video of them. Tail light cost 98 bucks from extreme kempy and should only cost me 25 bucks for the good leds.

Pics above are of the circuit card only and not in the tail light in case anyone didnt figure that out.

Back