Siberian husky

paulcee

Registered
Hey guys and girls, I bought my first Siberian husky the other day, he is a wee belter I mean a real beauty, he is wolf grey with a touch of tan and blue eyes, I was wondering if there are any of us that are husky owners and can give me some pointers in training and the best way to look after him, I know they are a wee bit different to other breeds and a wee bit naughty but any tips or help would be appreciated cheers paul

Mine is only part Husky, and all I can say is have patience.. They are a handful. Walk/exercise them frequently and BRUSH THEM regularly!! Gorgeous dogs who are truly loyal.

What, no pics???

:rulez:

Lol thanks for the advice, I'm using the phone online just now once I get home I'll do on the pc and pit some photos up cheers paul

I have a 5 year old Siberian, soon to be 6. I know females are typically a little more chill, but I went with a male because I wanted a bigger dog(bigger than the usual 40-50lbs female). They're very smart so training and trick teaching wasn't very difficult, not to mention he is primarily an "inside" dog. He was pretty wild until about 3 years old with getting really excited when non-family members would come over and jump up on them. He also was very wild when outside in the yard and would try to escape daily. He has since become one of the most relaxed dogs I know, but now understand when to play and when I mean play, it's more like wrestle.

He still will dig holes outside if he's extremely bored and I'm not sure if there's a way past that unless you're really over active with them. The shedding is terrible about twice a year for 2-3 months and I mean terrible. If it wasn't for the shedding, my dog would be perfect. Watching his different sleeping positions is almost comical because he sleeps either in a curled up ball or upside down spread eagle

Here he is..... Gixer

IMG_20101107_181959.jpg

img045.jpg

Last edited:
Gixer, he is a beauty, some really good sound advice there thank you, ill upload a pic as soon as I get home, cheers paul

Gorgeous Justin!

Every time my dog dug a hole, I would pour rocks in the hole. I did this for about 10 holes. He hasn't dug a hole since. He hated having rocks put in there.. Just a thought..

Here's my boy Shoei, its hard to see the Husky in him until you meet him. He's primarily Border Collie and Golden Retriever..

Like Steve said, patience with these dogs is the biggest thing you can have and if you think you might be short in that department, you better start practicing now or you're going to be in trouble soon haha

They have ALOT of energy. They are great dogs I've had 2 but am down to 1 right now. They are extremely intelligent so training isn't hard you just need patients. Here is a pic of Jack he is 5 and acts like he's still a puppy

iPhoneUpload-4.jpg
[/IMG]

IMAG0239.jpg
[/IMG]

I have one, 10 1/2 months old now and everyone warned me that a Husky is a hand-full.

I have experienced totally the opposite though.

I guess each dog is different, but really this Husky has the nicest personality of all the dogs I ever owned. Only way to explain is full of energy, very athletic, extremely loving, very sensitive to correction and obedient if things get serious and he knows this is no longer play. Very smart.

Things in general about Husky's are:

1.) They are working dogs, thus need exercise and they love to run.

2.) No good as a guard dog as there is no agression, however very strong predator instinct, so cats, rabbits etc., can get into trouble.

3.) Need companionship, either from you and the family, or from another dog, they don't do well alone.

4.) They love to dig, but with some correction you can get them to dig in the right places.

5.) Very inquisitive, examines everything you do. Will try and help you service your Busa and run away with half the parts in the process.

Good luck and enjoy, we absolutely love ours and so does the whole neigborhood.

Een 9 months.jpg

Een 9 months.jpg

Thanks Steve! That's actually pretty good thinking with the rocks. You can def see husky in Shoei's fur "texture".

Honestly, I would not recommend a pure bred husky to many people. You have to really have the time to engage in a lot of strict/stern teaching, some really rough playing and a flat out ignorant dog, but I couldn't be happier with how well Gixer turned out with his hilarious personality and friendliness. He is still very tough and pretty defensive over me because I'm his "Alpha". You have to remember that with these dogs, they will take commands from just about anyone, but there is only going to be one "Alpha"

Last edited:
two silver purebred huskies here.. lots of excersize and patience, mine were crate trained until house broken,, then the doors came off the crate,,, now its their little private space..crate was never used as a punishment, they were put in there at night until they could hold it...keep him lean 50-55lbs

Here is my buddy Sonic. He is about a year old in this photo taken in 2002. He is the largest Husky I have ever seen and he is about 100 lbs. He's been a great dog and is still going stron at 10 years old!

Sonic Portrait 5x7.jpg

Have a 4 y/o almost 5 female Husky. She is about 75~80lbs. They are very energetic until they reach the age of 4+ then they start to slow down. They are great dogs I love my girl (Foxy) to death! They do shed alot so be prepared for that. I highly recommend a shop vac & a furminator. I can second what has already been said above...when we got ours I bought the Siberian Husky's for Dummies book and it was very helpful. :) Lots of info about the right things to do for them. We were going to wait to get another dog later on (wife wanted a Sheltie) we ended up getting him sooner due to the fact that we found out that if Huskies are going to be living with a separate breed it is best to do so from puppyhood. :laugh:

Here's a video/slide show I put together a while ago:

They are beautiful dogs but they shed alot.I am looking for an old english bulldog but man they want an arm and a leg for one.They are great with kids and families.

Here is my buddy Sonic. He is about a year old in this photo taken in 2002. He is the largest Husky I have ever seen and he is about 100 lbs. He's been a great dog and is still going stron at 10 years old!

Beautiful dog! I've always liked the red/white ones and at 100lbs, that's a HUGE husky haha

My wife and I have 2 Huskies. One is 3 and one is 2 and they are between 45-50 pounds so not on the huge side at all. And to be honest I feel like these two are very different from the usual huskies. People have said Huskies are escape artists, well my dogs dont want to leave the back yard. We will leave them outside if we go out somewhere and come back to them dead asleep in the middle of the yard. They will lay around and sleep on a lazy sunday as well. They do love to RUN!!!! Let them RUN!!! I absolutely love my Huskies and know that they are awesome dogs if they are trained well.

Here are my two:
Copper (Mine) 3 years
100_5398.jpg

100_4351.jpg

Rocky (Wife's) 2 years
100_4822.jpg

And this is them doing what they do when the snow comes down
100_5423.jpg

100_5439.jpg

Here is Dakota he's almost 13 now pic was about 3 years ago. He trained very fast at obediance but If he got out the front door when he was younger he would be gone for a few hours . Huskys gotta run . When he was about 8 he started to gain wieght ( normally he is 80lbs) . He got up to 110lbs , we found out that he had thyroid problems, but he takes his pills everyday and is an awesome dog . Very smart and very routine at this age . Loves rawhide bones to chew on , probly bought a million of those damn things .

101_6159.jpg

Those are some great looking dogs you guys have, don’t have a Husky myself, but i do have 2 German Shepherds. Just like my German shedders, Husky’s are a pack dog, having them in pairs is a great thing and will help in the boredom thing and other sorts of behavior issues you can have, best thing is obedience training them and spending good time with them, they are not foo foo dog that can be left alone, they want to please you, since they are a working dog, good luck with the new pup and congrats

This is my baby girl named Boo. With a heavy heart I had to give her up when I relocated. It pains me everytime I see this pic. She was a great dog and my friend no matter what. She was half chow, half husky.

Miss you Boo.

VA96_12459727-1-pn.jpg

i am a former husky owner and think obedience school is a very good thing---also once they have killed another animal it will be hard for them not to do it again especilly if you reward them after first taste of blood---it's just natural--ask any vet--it's also very important you are with them as much as possible for first six months---

Back