Contour ROAM camera

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Well all - I just picked up a Contour ROAM camera and I have to say, I am pretty impressed! It is a great, lightweight camera that takes both video and stills. Here are a few pros and cons as I see them:

Pro:
- One touch on and record. There are no settings to mess with, no buttons to push... just slide the record bar forward and you are recording! Couldn't be easier or more accessible.
Con:
- No access to camera settings or to switch between video and camera mode. You have to be hooked up to a computer to change the camera settings. There is no option... the buttons simply aren't there...

Pro:
- Laser leveling to ensure that you camera lens and pic is level, regardless of your mounting angle.
Con:
- No viewer to see "what the camera sees"... until you have recorded the video and look at it on the computer.

Pro:
- Uploading video is very easy; hook up to a computer and use the "storyteller" software to upload the clip to the Contour website where you can link to FB and/or twitter. Video is in .MOV format...
Con:
- There is no video editing within the "storyteller" software... there is an "awesome" feature where you can snip a piece of the video to upload, rather than the whole thing... but it is not really editing. Also, you cannot upload direct to youtube or twitter, etc... you have to link to the videos, taking an FB to an external contour site. Unles you can process the videos with different software, it all has to go through contour.

All in all, if you are looking for an inexpensive 1080p camera, this one is fantastic! I am goign to look into a couple of other options, but I am a fan!

Actually, I was set to order a motorsports package, with the hardwired power, and LCD viewer... started looking around and this one really caught my eye. I have an older GoPro, but I never really got the hang of using it... this one was simple and seemed to fit the bill for what I was lookign for, but I am already contemplating upgrade to see how well the issues I have are addressed with the higher end versions... I will keep you posted.

I think I may have sort of solved my issues; we'll see over the next couple of days...

Okay, update. Let me caveat this with the following... I got a little extra in my paycheck following my move...
Alright. The contour line has several models available. The roam has its advantages... chief of which is the one touch recording. But I went with a different choice... the contour+. Currently, this is the top of thier line - and let me tell you, they are proud of it. You can find them for between 4-500 online, but they will be a flat 499 retail. I know that there is stickershock, but -
With the +:
the fps (frames per second) is a little higher
you can preset two recording modes and switch between them on the camera (which you can't do on the roam)
there is an HDMI out for live streaming if you want/can afford to go that route.
but here is my fave -
the + has bluetooth and will pair with my iphone. So, I can go in and set the options up and switch between camera and video from my phone. Also, it will stream to my phone to show the camera view. I can't record this way, but at least I can verify that I will see the field of view that I am looking for.
A couple of downsides...
Waterproof, not water resistant.
more buttons, means more time for set up.

Anyway... so I now have the gopro hero (not HD), the contour roam and the contour plus... now I just need to get some good mounting ideas and should be able to set up as a great chase vehicle!

Do I understand it correctly that the contour has no software for downloading it's video onto a computer? :dunno:

Tuf,
It does come with software - called storyteller, but there is no editing capability embedded in it. You can adjust the camer settings, but it is essentially an upload vehicle. There is a feature called awesome where you can cut your video down to the coolest part, but that is just a footage thing; no editing at all. Now, you can use the video with other editing software straight from the camera. Also, storyteller will upload the video to contour's servers and host the video for you, which you can share with youtube, FB and Twitter... not sure if that helps?

Sounds like I'm glad I got my GoPro at $199.00, and yes at first it was a pain and I missed a chance to video some friends on the Dragon, but I've got it now and it does all kinds of stills and videos from the front and I edit with free software. It would be nice if it was more user friendly.

Sounds like I'm glad I got my GoPro at $199.00, and yes at first it was a pain and I missed a chance to video some friends on the Dragon, but I've got it now and it does all kinds of stills and videos from the front and I edit with free software. It would be nice if it was more user friendly.

Yeah, I still have mine and am going to learn to use it... I may simply have it on standby for vids or stills, but I am thinking stills right now...

Huge thanks for this thread. Been on the fence about getting a GoPro and actually held off buying it because I heard about the Contour. I know for sure I need something because I regret missing the chance to video my 2 rides for the Tour of Honor :(

Huge thanks for this thread. Been on the fence about getting a GoPro and actually held off buying it because I heard about the Contour. I know for sure I need something because I regret missing the chance to video my 2 rides for the Tour of Honor :(

Which way did you decide to go? I think I need to do a test of the camers together... both videoing the same thing at the same time to see how that compares... but I am already a fan of the contour line!

Awesome Tim! Thanks for posting... I really like these cameras!

wat r the pros with this camera over the gopro? thanx
Well, for me, it is the ease of use, but it depends on which model gopro you have as far as advantages. The Roam goes for about 199, so it is a little cheaper than the Hero motorsports package... much easier to use - IMO...

Well, for me, it is the ease of use, but it depends on which model gopro you have as far as advantages. The Roam goes for about 199, so it is a little cheaper than the Hero motorsports package... much easier to use - IMO...
how do u mean? wat is about the gopro that is hard to use? I know there is an LCD screen option. is having the LCD screen option make it easier to operate?

Which way did you decide to go? I think I need to do a test of the camers together... both videoing the same thing at the same time to see how that compares... but I am already a fan of the contour line!

still undecided...currently on TAD (OCONUS) till DEC so will probably pick one for my x-mas gift :)

I've never used the contour, but you press a button to turn the GoPro on and off and you use the same button to decide what mode you want to use, then press the top button for on / off operation. It's very easy, don't even need the manual. If you wonder why you always see users looking into the camera it's because the indicators are on the front of the camera. The GoPro is good to 100 meters underwater as well.

Ok so I've just decided to order the Contour from Tim at Pashnit. Since this is the Hayabuasa board, how are you guys mounting this one (Contour)? I'm thinking about the optional strap around the mirror post. Behind the windscreen is out as I have the dark double bubble. Thanks.

Gpr1200r

Back