How to read a land survey map?

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
My property is almost 4 acres of wooded land, I am looking to mark the property lines with a survey map I have, but am unsure on how to do that. The local surveyors want around $500 to do this, so I am hoping to find the pins myself with a handheld GPS, or compass and measuring wheel.

One of the things I have questions about is there is a point marked at a corner that on one leg is labeled N44° -46'E 68.2' and the other leg is labeled N45° -14'W 139'.

Any help or how to convert those points into specific GPS coordinates would be appreciated.

A Marine would have already figured that out.

:whistle:

:)

:laugh:

RussellJ made me do it, honest!

It is an interesting question. I have no idea so I'll ask can you not just input those figures into your gps and have it create a pin exactly where they are?

You need to find the beginning point to start with, without out you are in the dark. My GPS can use the inputs just as you gave them to plot a point. Any fences or property corner markings you can find? Might need a metal detector.

If the property has ever been surveyed before there should be some kind of rods in the ground. Like TTV said, a metal detector might help.

Yep, metal pins.
The last survey company out here used rebar. My lawnmower knows exactly where they are at...:banghead:

I am out in the country where the land is heavily wooded. Although, there is one pin that I located a while back. I have been reading a lot on the internet, and the measurements are not GPS coordinates like I wanted them to be. It turns out they are compass points with distances. I am going to get a good compass from work and go from there. Thanks for the input.

$500.00 not bad. We just paid over $1800.00 at my work to have our property surveyed. Might want to leave it up to the professionals on this one.

Ran into the guy that own the next plot of land today, he deals in real estate and happened to have a surveyors compass and range finder. We mapped it out and with the proper tools is was really very easy. Thanks for the ideas and I would never have gotten it done with a regular compass.

ok...i get it....you want to survey your land.....but how does it answer the questions???? :laugh:

Back