Gun Control

thats the old catch 22 argument. more guns means more guns in the hands of criminals. less guns means less people will be able to defend themselves. as a country we are beyond repair as far as gun control goes.

England has some of the lowest gun violence for any civilized nation on the planet but their knife crimes are through the roof with over 60,000 related knife injuries last year. thats about 160 knife attacks a day. pick ur poison I guess.

England has some of the lowest gun violence for any civilized nation on the planet but their knife crimes are through the roof with over 60,000 related knife injuries last year. thats about 160 knife attacks a day. pick ur poison I guess.

Yeah, but it's hard to have a drive-by multiple stabbing!

And equally hard to kill a dozen people in a restaurant with a knife!

Yeah, but it's hard to have a drive-by multiple stabbing!

And equally hard to kill a dozen people in a restaurant with a knife!

Your right. But then it changes to propane bottles and dynamite. How about collateral damage with that?

How about instead of focusing on a tool we focus in on the people that do these things. Being preventative and pro active is much more satisfying that sitting around complaining and blaming an inert object.

Gun owner btw. :)

Your right. But then it changes to propane bottles and dynamite. How about collateral damage with that?

How about instead of focusing on a tool we focus in on the people that do these things. Being preventative and pro active is much more satisfying that sitting around complaining and blaming an inert object.
I'm not sure where I was either complaining or blaming anything mate, just stating a fact. I have no problem with anyone owning a gun. In fact, living in a state like Texas that allows concealed weapons with a license the only thing I fail to see is how concealed weapons prevent crime. Surely UNconcealed weapons would be better! I'm all for going back to the old western days myself.

As for being "preventative and proactive"...that's meaningless without explanation.

thats the old catch 22 argument. more guns means more guns in the hands of criminals. less guns means less people will be able to defend themselves. as a country we are beyond repair as far as gun control goes.

Did you not read the link? Less gun control = less crime. More gun control = more crime. Its not a hard concept to understand. The stats back it up.

In 1920, Britain passed a law requiring civilians to obtain a certificate from their district police chief in order to purchase or possess any firearm except a shotgun. To obtain this certificate, the applicant had to pay a fee, and the chief of police had to be "satisfied" that the applicant had "good reason for requiring such a certificate" and did not pose a "danger to the public safety or to the peace." The certificate had to specify the types and quantities of firearms and ammunition that the applicant could purchase and keep.[38]
* In 1968, Britain made the 1920 law stricter by requiring civilians to obtain a certificate from their district police chief in order to purchase or possess a shotgun. This law also required that firearm certificates specify the identification numbers ("if known") of all firearms and shotguns owned by the applicant.[39]
* In 1997, Britain passed a law requiring civilians to surrender almost all privately owned handguns to the police. More than 162,000 handguns and 1.5 million pounds of ammunition were "compulsorily surrendered" by February 1998. Using "records of firearms held on firearms certificates," police accounted for all but fewer than eight of all legally owned handguns in England, Scotland, and Wales.[40]

† Homicide data is published according to the years in which the police initially reported the offenses as homicides, which are not always the same years in which the incidents took place.
‡ Large anomalies unrelated to guns:
2000: 58 Chinese people suffocated to death in a shipping container en route to the UK
2002: 172 homicides reported when Dr. Harold Shipman was exposed for killing his patients
2003: 20 cockle pickers drowned resulting in manslaughter charges
2005: 52 people were killed in the July 7th London subway/bus bombings
[41]
* Not counting the above-listed anomalies, the British homicide rate has averaged 52% higher since the outset of the 1968 gun control law and 15% higher since the outset of the 1997 handgun ban.[42]

yeah. Control :)

ijWYZNdbrqhJe.gif

That is a good idea. Many states have reciprocity but it would be nice if it was law that your cwp was good in other states.
The only thing is that almost all states that allow concealed carry have different regulations regarding that. Some say you can carry here some say you can't carry there. If your from Florida and go to another state you will need to know the laws of whatever state your in and not assume them to be the same as where your from.

My view on gun control is...

If we loosened up on gun control it would get uglier. BUT.... Then it would get better. Fear of being killed works both ways for criminals and honest citizens. Making it less likely a criminal will take that risk. As it stands an armed criminal generally feels he has the upper hand. Sadly,the criminal is correct. No matter what we do,there is always going to be violence. Just we all need to have "PROPER" training on use of a firearm.

For the person who talked about someone opening up on a group of people in a restaurant with a firearm... Imagine that group of people having a means to fire back and protect themselves? A person with the knowledge he will be fired back upon as soon as he opens up would be less likely to do so? There is always an exception for everything. Out of all those horror stories of people opening up on the public, you rarely see it turn out to be the person immediately being gunned down, usually results in him taking his own life or gun down after the damage is done by law enforcement showing up later on.

Out of the gun related deaths we would only see a rise in suicide % of the total. I don't know about you, but I rather see some unstable person take his own life rather then someone else's and then end up dead or in the system(prison etc..) draining our resources.

Just my 2cents.

In 1920, Britain passed a law requiring civilians to obtain a certificate from their district police chief in order to purchase or possess any firearm except a shotgun. To obtain this certificate, the applicant had to pay a fee, and the chief of police had to be "satisfied" that the applicant had "good reason for requiring such a certificate" and did not pose a "danger to the public safety or to the peace." The certificate had to specify the types and quantities of firearms and ammunition that the applicant could purchase and keep.[38]
* In 1968, Britain made the 1920 law stricter by requiring civilians to obtain a certificate from their district police chief in order to purchase or possess a shotgun. This law also required that firearm certificates specify the identification numbers ("if known") of all firearms and shotguns owned by the applicant.[39]
* In 1997, Britain passed a law requiring civilians to surrender almost all privately owned handguns to the police. More than 162,000 handguns and 1.5 million pounds of ammunition were "compulsorily surrendered" by February 1998. Using "records of firearms held on firearms certificates," police accounted for all but fewer than eight of all legally owned handguns in England, Scotland, and Wales.[40]

† Homicide data is published according to the years in which the police initially reported the offenses as homicides, which are not always the same years in which the incidents took place.
‡ Large anomalies unrelated to guns:
2000: 58 Chinese people suffocated to death in a shipping container en route to the UK
2002: 172 homicides reported when Dr. Harold Shipman was exposed for killing his patients
2003: 20 cockle pickers drowned resulting in manslaughter charges
2005: 52 people were killed in the July 7th London subway/bus bombings
[41]
* Not counting the above-listed anomalies, the British homicide rate has averaged 52% higher since the outset of the 1968 gun control law and 15% higher since the outset of the 1997 handgun ban.[42]
Ah yes...lies, damn lies, and statistics. Are you SERIOUSLY saying that Britain would be better off without gun control mate? I mean, have you ever been to an English football game or been in an English pub fight? Where I was brought up it was a rare night when at least one person didn't walk out of the pub with somebody else's ear in his pocket! If we could walk into any WalMart and buy a handgun as you can over here I can't even imagine the carnage. There's a reason such a tiny, tiny country ruled half the world and it's NOT because of our quaint accents!

Let's keep the gun control debate over here where it belongs and let other countries deal with it in their own way. Hard for you to believe I know, but the people that live there know a tad more about the place than you do!

If we could walk into any WalMart and buy a handgun as you can over here I can't even imagine the carnage.

I haven't even read this entire thread, but you need to straighten this out. You cannot "walk into any WalMart and buy a handgun." I've seen you use that line before and it's pure sensationalism, which is not exactly the key to gaining credibility.

Tekken the only reason Britain ruled the world as you say is because of the weapons you folks employed against I'll equipped others.
British rule was at the end of a gun for most of it's time. It's silly for you to say people there are better off without an individual right to defend themselves properly. Just because a bunch of drunken hooligans at a pub or soccer match could not be trusted doesn't equate out to mean the entire population. The point you missed was 60,000 knife related injuries! With the ability to carry and defend oneself that right there would be a deterrent to people using knives on innocent folks. Sad to see you've swallowed the line of 'your not worthy, let us protect you. It's in your best interest.' I wonder how some of the victims of the recent riots feel about not being able to defend themselves? Here's a whistle call a Bobby! :)

I haven't even read this entire thread, but you need to straighten this out. You cannot "walk into any WalMart and buy a handgun." I've seen you use that line before and it's pure sensationalism, which is not exactly the key to gaining credibility.
Actually you can. I did not, nor have I ever said, you can walk out with it there and then...but of course you can walk in and buy one. While we're on the subject, let me state right here that I am not in any way against people having the right to own a gun over here, not at all. But that's over here...there are way too many guns out there already to institute control now.

Tekken the only reason Britain ruled the world as you say is because of the weapons you folks employed against I'll equipped others.
British rule was at the end of a gun for most of it's time. It's silly for you to say people there are better off without an individual right to defend themselves properly. Just because a bunch of drunken hooligans at a pub or soccer match could not be trusted doesn't equate out to mean the entire population. The point you missed was 60,000 knife related injuries! With the ability to carry and defend oneself that right there would be a deterrent to people using knives on innocent folks. Sad to see you've swallowed the line of 'your not worthy, let us protect you. It's in your best interest.' I wonder how some of the victims of the recent riots feel about not being able to defend themselves? Here's a whistle call a Bobby! :)
I bow to your superior knowledge of my country Blanca. You might want to sit down and write a stern letter to the Prime Minister and share your concerns. Interestingly, I have yet to talk with a single person over there who shares your view that we should have free access to firearms as you do here, but hey...we obviously don't know what's good for us...luckily you do. And as for the knife related injuries...I am not sure where that figure came from and I'd appreciate the source being cited because the last clear data I can find is from 2006 when there were 1200 reported stabbings. So either this 60,000 includes kitchen injuries or it was simply pulled out of someone's arse mate.

There are 15 homicides per million people in Britain and 60 per million in the US (88% of which are by firearms). That's four times the rate here compared to there. Not sure why, it certainly can't be because of the lack of arms control right?...no doubt we're just naturally sweeter than Americans.

Thanks again for your insight into my country.

Back