Any PC builders here???

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
I built a gaming PC for my self some time ago with a little help... ok with a lot of help ... err someone else did it..:laugh:

The hard drive went bad and needed replacing then I found out he had set up all wrong cause it didn't recognize one of the hard drives that was connected.

Now I am lost, I have two new hard drives for it. The motherboard has a 5 plugs (raid 1,2,3, and 4) grouped just to the right of the video card and a insert that says raid 2 on top to the left of the video card.

PC does bot detect the hard drives I am guessing that I accidentally changed something in the raid or initial setup.:whistle:

I miss my pc :down: That PC was a beast for running games on. I have been using a vaio pc that I bought like 8 years ago and it was already outdated when I bought it :banghead:

you should just be able to plug and play. however if the pc was setup for raid the pc may not see the drives without a boot driver. you should be able to go into the bios and see how its set up. if raid is on. if it is you will probably need a driver disk for the computer to see the drives and also to assign an array. hopefully lavinrac or ohmslaw will chime in. they will know for sure.

Just sent Lavinrac a text asking him to log in and see if he can help you:cheerleader:

Can't get a pic of mine but here is a pic of my motherboard from their site.

asus sli.jpg

I am not using the SLI function so there is only 1 card in it

to the right of the lower silver box that says asus life are the 4 sata marked 1,2,3,4,connections. and to the left of the middle silver box marked asus is the other sata connection saying raid 2

The CD/DVD drive is connected and detected

Been reading trying to figure this out on my own

Hard Disk Drive Setup - Partition and Format

I am wondering if this is why its not detecting the Hard drives, but in the setup window at the beginning they are not showing up.

the 2 hard drives I am adding is one 160 GB and a 1 terra HD

asus sli.jpg

What os are you using? If it is xp and you have sada dives windows will not see them unless you change the mode u are using in the bios.

If u need faster help pm me and I will send u my number

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I built a gaming PC for my self some time ago with a little help... ok with a lot of help ... err someone else did it..:laugh:

The hard drive went bad and needed replacing then I found out he had set up all wrong cause it didn't recognize one of the hard drives that was connected.

Now I am lost, I have two new hard drives for it. The motherboard has a 5 plugs (raid 1,2,3, and 4) grouped just to the right of the video card and a insert that says raid 2 on top to the left of the video card.

PC does bot detect the hard drives I am guessing that I accidentally changed something in the raid or initial setup.:whistle:

I miss my pc :down: That PC was a beast for running games on. I have been using a vaio pc that I bought like 8 years ago and it was already outdated when I bought it :banghead:

Gimmie a call.. number is 432-847-9588 ill see what I can help ya with. Oh yeah and don't worry about the time cause im at work now.. HAHA... Saturdays can be so dull.

If you have 2 different hard drive capacities, you'll be able to use both drives, but not on a raid setup as far as I know

Ok here goes.. without talking to you and knowing all the details first off lets get some things outta the way..

That looks like a P5N32-SLI mobo from Asus.. loved that board while I had it.

Since you are not sure if this was in an actual raid config and your only going to be using the 2 drives that cannot be configured in raid I would start by resetting the Bios to the factory defaults.. This will remove any of the previously configured settings that might have been changed..

Drop which ever drive you are wanting to boot by default into the Sata 1 slot and the other drive in the Sata 2 slot. Kick the comp back over again and it should detect without issues(unless a port is bad on the board). I would assume 160GB for primary and 1TB for secondary.

You can then check the boot options make sure the computer is booting from the CD-Rom first and fire it up, then load the OS and your off to the races..

P.S. On the phone you said that you had them detecting in Sata3 and Sata4 slots.. that will work also without issue you will just have to set the boot order cause that board can be finiky if ya don't have anything in the Sata1 slot for some strange reason.. Maybe a Bios update fixed that not 100% sure. Worst case you can just leave them configured in there and go about it that way.

I know ya just called and I kinda told ya that on the phone but here it is in writing in case your memory is as bad as mine. If you ask nicely and the old drive isnt completely dead you might can convince me to talk ya through how to bring it back to life so you can get stuff you need off it.

Call me back if you have anymore questions.. or maybe when I get off work in the morning if you have it up and running I can talk ya through getting some tweaks put in to get a little more oomph outta that thing. :)

Lav, You ROCK brother. Sorry I missed your call. I was out riding. You know we only have 3 weeks to ride up here in the northwoods so I was at it tonight.:whistle:
Thanks again for answering the call for help Bro.

Mr. Bogus is in the process of helping me build one, but I'm glad to know that I can find some additional help here if need be...

Yea I did as you instructed got the 160 GB in slot 1 and the other slot 2.

The board is A8N32-SLI Deluxe Reset the settings to default but the Raid mode was on after the reset but I turned it back to Sata2 mode and the quiet and cool was disabled and I turned that back on.

Loaded windows got no error message says it loading setup just waiting not really sure how long that s supposed to take :laugh:

ah the dreaded loading setup while installing.. We all know that can take DAYS!!!!!! ok maybe not.. if the comp is well up to date you should be able to have it completed in right around an hour easily..

Think my current system will run a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit in just over 30 minutes..

Yeah it is a screamer.

Didn't load but it just hit me I had a similar problem like this first time around and it turned out I had the wrong version of windows.. SO I went and bought the full version and it worked like a charm..

Now I am not really sure which version I am trying to load and since I can only find one of the disk I am wondering which one I have in my hand :banghead:

Ok MAD PROPS !! to you lavinrac :thumbsup:

My PC up it formatted the partition and is now installing windows xp, my neighbor is PC tech, came here and couldn't get this going, and I was really bummed cause this PC plays games on my 32 inch screen beautifully :drool:

He couldn't fix it or find the problem in the hour he messed with it. You fixed it over the phone in a conversation that took less than 3 minutes, seems to be a slight difference in skills there between you two :whistle: :laugh:

I feel like taking a baseball bat to my 13 year old sony pc to celebrate but I should cut it some slack it kept me on the org and saved my real pc :)

Ok MAD PROPS !! to you lavinrac :thumbsup:

My PC up it formatted the partition and is now installing windows xp, my neighbor is PC tech, came here and couldn't get this going, and I was really bummed cause this PC plays games on my 32 inch screen beautifully :drool:

He couldn't fix it or find the problem in the hour he messed with it. You fixed it over the phone in a conversation that took less than 3 minutes, seems to be a slight difference in skills there between you two :whistle: :laugh:

I feel like taking a baseball bat to my 13 year old sony pc to celebrate but I should cut it some slack it kept me on the org and saved my real pc :)

Glad I could help ya out.. On a side note I did kinda laugh to myself when you asked if I knew anything about computers.

P.S. I am a System Administrator/Network Administrator for a living.

Glad I could help ya out.. On a side note I did kinda laugh to myself when you asked if I knew anything about computers.

P.S. I am a System Administrator/Network Administrator for a living.

^^^^^^^^^^ this means something? Where I work that is like a cuss work ^^^^^^^^ no offense just saying our IT sucks...

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back