Bilt Brand Helmets

Htown Busa

Registered
Does anyone know about the quality of a Bilt Brand helmet. Cycle Gear, here in Houston, have the solid full face helmet on sale for 49.99.

I think that if were going with the lower price point point I would stick with HJC. They have been around a long time and in general I think they make pretty decent stuff for their price point. You can get in the middle to upper tier of the HJC product line for around $125 to $165.

Personally, i'm going to stay away from a $50 helmet to protect my mellon. Chinese levers are a budget item. Brakes, tires and safety gear are not things to try and cut corners on IMO.

Well looks D.O.T approved so should save your life in accident. Read a couple of negative reviews saying poor construction if you put any stock in some of the reviews.

BILT is exclusively for cyclegear...they have some really inexpensive leathers as well...when it comes to safety gear though..not a place to cut corners...you do get what you pay for...I think the guys at cyclegear would say the same thing.

I've noticed that the other BILT gear seems kind of cheap when compared with competing products. I don't think I'd go with it.

Cycle Gear went from Frank Thomas as a house brand to Sedici and BILT. Between the two, BILT is the lower line. If you're looking to save money I'd maybe look at an HJC helmet. They aren't $50, but certainly aren't an $800 Arari Corsair V either.

I am trying to get the right info. I have a new rider, on a budget, and I am trying to teach him right by ensuring he has at least a helmet, gloves, and a jacket. The helment is DOT certified so I thought it would be okay except for things like, noise, aerodynamics, and ventilation.

DOT & SNELL good to go :thumbsup:

If it meets these two than I would agree. For $50 it may save your life same as a more expensive one. I think the difference will be seen in comfort, ventilation, shield durability, longevity and other cosmetic things. As others have said though get him to spend a bit more. If he's got $50 this week possibly next week he could have $100? Look on ebay. I bet you can find a decent Hjc or even a solid color leftover Shoei Rf for $100 or so.

dont forget about scorpion. they have some pretty good helmets for the price. sportbiketrackgear.com always has them on sale to boot.

I have to agree on the not skimping decision. You get what you pay for.
There are some good deals out there on decent entry level helmets and last year closeouts.

I bought some perforated leather bilt pants not too long ago. They feel as good a quality as anything else I've worn. I'd trust 'em in a fall. almost all of that stuff all comes from the same couple of sweatshops over in china anyway...

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

So, the helmet is on sale... so it typically cost more than 50 dollars. Because it's only 50 bucks now it sucks. My 600 dollar helmet was on closeout for 260. Does that mean it's not as good of a helmet as it once was? I've never ridden with it yet, it'sbrand new.. if I sell it for 50 bucks does that make it a crap cheap used helmet?
Posted via Mobile Device

I bought some perforated leather bilt pants not too long ago. They feel as good a quality as anything else I've worn. I'd trust 'em in a fall. almost all of that stuff all comes from the same couple of sweatshops over in china anyway...

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

So, the helmet is on sale... so it typically cost more than 50 dollars. Because it's only 50 bucks now it sucks. My 600 dollar helmet was on closeout for 260. Does that mean it's not as good of a helmet as it once was? I've never ridden with it yet, it'sbrand new.. if I sell it for 50 bucks does that make it a crap cheap used helmet?
Posted via Mobile Device

The helmet is normally $100, on sale for $50.

Its the single most important piece of riding gear, speed the $

,Jacket gloves boots will not save your life like a lid will
Posted via Mobile Device

Back