Rooting HTC Evo Help!!

Fate

Donating Member
Registered
After reading posts about the Evo and benefits to rooting, I think I have got the courage to try it myself. I was wondering if someone with experience could walk me through it. I don't want to screw anything up. My main reason for doing this, I want to be able to use my wifi hot spot for free, want to clear all the print automatically loaded crap off my phone. I have expanded battery and my phone lasts all day on one charge and phone is nice and fast so don't really care about that. What thingy do I need to download to put on phone to be able to be able to use hotspot and clear apps? What other benefits will I get and any advice or instruction would be most appreciated.

First go here and download the application for the Evo:

unrevoked

Root your phone. Its very simple just follow the applications instructions. You click like twice and turn your phone off

Then download this:
Calkulin\'s_EViO_2_ROM_v1.8.zip

Mount you phone on the computer into disk mode just like you would do to upload pictures or add music to it. Then copy that file over to the SD card on your phone.

Then follow this video
- How to load ROM's or Themes onto HTC EVO 4G[/url]

That rom will come with the Wifi tether and whatever apps you want

Last edited by a moderator:
s there a backup on unrevoked? Do I need anything on my computer (sync program) to use with unrevoked? Downloading now.

s there a backup on unrevoked? Do I need anything on my computer (sync program) to use with unrevoked? Downloading now.

Nope you need just what i put up there and nothing else. Do a backup after you root the phone.

And for the record before you ever take your phone to sprint for repair or them to look at it you need to put the phone back to stock without root which I can also help with.

(In case anyone ever needs it im gonna post it)
This link explains it perfectly :thumbsup:
How To: Unroot the HTC Evo | TheUnlockr

:beerchug: Your The MAN!!!! If you get back to Cape Coral, I owe you a beer!!! Thanks!!!

How did it go Fate?? I'm thinking about doing it. You dang guys keep pushing more toward it! GRRRR...

How did it go Fate?? I'm thinking about doing it. You dang guys keep pushing more toward it! GRRRR...

Working on it now. Have to backup and then load rom. Have to clear your cashe and rest to factory.

One more question. So If I have notes and I have app with my passwords, guess they are gone?

I now have fireworks things in an x on my screen but does not go anywhere!!! Did I mess something up. Looks cool but not going anywhere.

sounds like you are in a boot loop. i dont know a bunch on the evo. Did you do a back up before you tried to do the new rom? you should have. did you back up any of your apps or anything with titanium backup? if not you probably should have. I use a rooted moto droid and write programs for it. Language is a little different for the evo but the process is basically the same. If it is still stuck on fireworks or what ever you may need to wipe data and cache again. Usually a good idea to do it three or four times each before you instal a new rom.

This thread is just making me not want to root already!

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

Move your APPs to the Card and won't lose anything...I did however lost a few contacts...I change ROMs on a constant basis, i can't make up my mind which one i like best

Damn now I wanna root mine... arggg... maybe ill give Russell a call about this before I go destroying my phone.

Dont be a woman just doooo itttttttt :laugh:

Its reversible, takes just as long to turn it back as it does to root it

:laugh: I am, I am!!!

I got it done last night. I backed up all my important apps on sd card. Just did not have my notes and sms messages and passwords I stored on phone. I run my real estate business off phone so need notes, got passwords backed up and written in a notebook but need notes. I did do full backup before I put rom on, doing restore and going to copy notes some how and think passwords program has way to export to a txt file. My fault. Should have found way to store any important stuff before rooting. Hopefully restore brings them back :whistle:

This thread is just making me not want to root already!

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

JUST BACK UP EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ANY DATA ON APPS STORED YOU NEED!!! MAY NOT BRING YOUR CALL HISTORY, SMS, NOTES OVER. DON'T GET IN HURRY LIKE I DID.

It seems really awesome besides that. I am excited to play with it after I figure out how to get my info back.

Back