my story (lawyers ugh)

Mattzgixxer

Registered
... my dad died in june 2003 and not only did I lose my father I gained a lot of drama and sh!t after words.

When my dad past away in june he was on a trip to Delaware to watch the NASCAR race they were having there through a trip at work! To make a long story short... my father was drinking on the bus with a bunch of his buddies and when the bus made a stop in Delaware my dad stepped out of the bus at the rest stop then fell down a steep hill and hit his head!

So they rushed him to the hospital in an ambulance to the ER. While in the hospital he got stiches put on his head and the ER wanted to give him a CT to make sure his brain wasnt damaged. Well my father didnt want one ( but in their own right the hospital can check before he leaves ) so they gave him a sedative to knock him out when he was intoxicated, which is a no no! Then after they took the CT of his head they (which came back negative anyway! ) They locked him in a room with no crash kit or monitoring system and with his hands tied down!!!!!!!!!! So even if he was awake he couldnt call for help!!!!!!!! ( thats three strikes as aughtsix would put it! )

So what happen? My father went into respiratory arrest!!!! Twenty minutes he stopped breathing!!!!! The wouldnt have found him if his girlfriend hadnt a showed up!!!!! So once they revived him my fathers girlfriend called me because they couldnt do anything without me ( next of kin ) so I went there and saw my 53 year father on a respirator and monitoring system. They said that " he should wake up soon he was sedated we just lowered his drugs so he will wake up!!!" I said "Good I am glade he's allright." After they lowered the drugs we waited... and waited... and waited!!!! Finally my mom who is an Rn in a CPICU who was there too for me emotionally and to help me with medical questions said " Matt I am a little worried your father should have woken up by now!!! Something is wrong!!!!" So she looked at his record and just then found out the he was under respiratory arrest for 20 minutes!!!!!! My mom ( who has been divorced from my father for more than 20 years) got upset and then she told me!!! And even I knew that they were wrong!!!

I told them to do a scan of his brain waves so they did and it showed that my father had sugnifficant brain damage and my mother noticed that he was starting to show signs of brain damage in his vegatative state!!! He was starting to posture and he was showing negative responses to pain!!!! He even was starting to "suckle" on his resperater tube!!!!!

Thats when I lost it!!!!!

So here I was at 22 being put in the position to let my 53 father go because some retard cant do their job right!!!!

Sounds like a malpractice suit right?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

RIGHT!

Also my father was legaly seperated from my stepmother for then 5 years!!! He never ( for whatever reason ) took my stepmother off from being the benificiary of his life insurance!!! They would have been divorced years ago but she wanted his pention and he wouldnt give it to her!!!! BUT, in the legal seperation agreement my step mom waived her right to recieve life insurance from my father!!!!! But she didnt want to give the money to me!!!!

So what did I do?
rock.gif
!!! I got a lawyer who turned out to be one of the best lawyers in the state!!! Good right? NO FUKKIN WRONG!!!!!!

I had to make a settlement with her!!!!! As if she deserves anything!!!! She even lives in Pennsylvannia with a retired Army Ranger and is living a whole new life! I guess what would happen was that is would take three years for us to get a court date and all it would do is cost more money anyway!!!

So we split it down the middle!!! 50/50 BUT, al of this took a year and a half!!! My lawyer couldnt come up with a settlemen in less time than thay?
rock.gif
Also he didnt return my calls and on top of that was late to appointments!!!!

When I worked on the step mom thing with him I also showed him the wrongful death suit!!! He said "Well lets take care of this settlement and your fathers estate." ( I was administrator of my fathers estate ) So when all was said and done I sold my dads car, house, boat, truck and other things we went ahead and and asked him if he wanted to persue the malpractice suit and he said "NO"! ( My fathers girlfriend also ran off with all of his furniture without my permission but I wont get into that! )

So that whole time I could have persued the wrongful death suit and didnt because he "couldnt make up his mind on what to do!" I dont know what you guys know but these things have a time limit!!!! Its two years in NY but I dont know what it is in Delaware!

Also he has had the settlement from the life insurance for about 2 months and I still havent seen my money!!! My dads debt is $14k he could just keep that and give me the rest!!!! Its insane!!!!! Plus on top of that he gets a poop load of money for doing a lousy ass job!

But I did get a new lawyer for the wrongful death case and he says he'll take it its just a question as to how much i am getting!!! This new guy is awesome he is also telling me if its a year to act on the case in deleware or you cant act at all I can sue the sucky lawyer for holding on to the medical records as long as he did without taking the case!! He also says I should report him and chew him out to get my money!!!

I like this guy a lot better!!!!

Sorry didnt have time to fix typos sorry!

Matt

rock.gif

What a story, sorry to hear about your father. It seems like everything that could've gone wrong did. I hope things start to turn around for you.

sad.gif
Over all shiddy mess man, sorry to hear it. Attorneys suck, they are by and large the scum of the earth. So whatch your step...
It does sound like malpractice, and if the Attorney screwed it up the attorney screwed it up. Sounds like there are a lot of things that need answering for. Good luck man... and be patient...

Wow...talk about a story! That's horrible...what an turn of events to lead you to where you are today...so much to weed through and so much sh*t you shouldn't have to cope with at just 22...definitely seek more legal advice and stay strong...

Sounds like a mess no matter which way you go...

So sorry about your Dad...
sad.gif

Matt,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Hopefully, your new attorney is a good one. It is my understanding that a good attorney working on a malpractice suite won't require money from you up front. There's a good number of them down here in Fla that are real sharks. Whatever you do at this point, make sure your attorney is top notch. If that is so, it seems that there is enough liability to go round that you should be righted as much as is possible under the circumstances. You are a young guy and it's tough to know how the world works at your age. If you need a hand, feel free to pm. While many attorneys are scam artists, I happen to know some good ones and can get you some sound info if needed.

Best of luck with it.

Hope all goes well from this point on...It's funny how people respond to money (refering to your deadbeat stepmom B$#@%!)...Sorry for your loss...
evil.gif

Good Luck Matt!

Sounds like you got a raw deal from the first attorney. If nothin else, you may be able to sue that attorney for malpractice/misrepresentation...not sure.

Good luck Matt and sorry to hear of your loss. It's funny how meaningless someone's life is when money is involved.
mad.gif
Just goes to show us all how insignificant we can be at times. Honestly though Matt, (and not trying to be at all funny...), this would make one hell of a good book. Hell, even a mini-series because of the time involved.

Brian

Thanx everyone! But more or less I was just looking for what you guys thought of the whole thing. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't over reacting! But when I was 22 I had just got out of the military and was a lot more mature than when I go out of high school. So it probably was easier to handle the whole situation and deal with my fathers estate in a mature way. Allthough i was TOO nice to my dads girlfriend and she took advantage of me, along with the attorney! But I did learn a lot about the New York state legal system in handling these types of situations.
biggrin.gif

My brother has had it worse though... he lost 2 of his best friends and when he was 5 he lost his dad in a truck accident! ( half brother ) I was friends with his friends too but obviously not as close as him so I was little upset. Still now at 23 I cant see my older brother upset like he was... I have "my older brother is superman" syndrom
biggrin.gif

But still thanx for the support and feedback guys... it's really amazing to here some outside opinions from people who can be blantly honest and tell me that I am being rediculous and that I just need to get over it!

But if you guys have any questions about it feel free to ask. I wont get offended!

And charles i acctually considered a idea for a book!
laugh.gif
thats kinda funny

Oh yeah one last thing... after learning about all the things that was up with my father... I have decided that when I go back down to Florida I am going to go to college for Respiratory Therapy.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

nice...get some ride time in, bro. Sounds like it'll be calming for you. Be safe...

well i can get ride time in right away because my lawyer still has my money!
mad.gif

I even hav all the parts in except for the undertail.

That really blows, bud. Sorry to hear about your loss.

As for the attorney, they really suck but when you get a good one on your side, you've got a good thing going.

At the very least, you could get the first atty disbarred or suspended if he mucked up your chances at the medical malpractice suit.

Pursue your rights and get your damages. You're worth it and so was your father.

--Wag--

Wow, boy do I hear you. My dad just died Aug 28, 2004 and we are just going thru a lot of this now. Except no mal practice. It is qutie the mess with the lawyers and the will. The oldest Son didn't think he got enough and dad didn't help us at all with making it easy. So ride the emotional roller coaster and we will see what happens next. Everything has to be sold and split, what a pain...Try and be prepared to make it easier on you loved ones. We ride motorcycles here so our chance is higher than the rest. Good luck, I know I will need it.
sad.gif

Geez I feel ya bro. Good thing my mom and dad had only one child... I wouldn't wanna be in that situation.

Good Luck to ya!

Back