Y do car's try to race Busa's??

MightyBusaCa

Registered
I live in southern California and when riding to/from work or on the freeway going somewhere.. It never fail's, a car pull's up next to me wanting to race! It's cute.. But really?? A :spank: is all these dude's get..:laugh:

I live in San Diego for a long time. Just don't race everybody, unless you think they are pushing between 600 to 800 ponies then go for it. I got my ass handed to me by a twin turbo vette. So just keep an eye out, you will find a real fast car here and there.

must be west coast thing. never had anyone race me... but kid did say that there was a supercharged civic that would get me...

I think most times they just want to see what your bike can do. Doesn't matter about the actual race. Just the thrill of the beast hauling ars!

I think most times they just want to see what your bike can do. Doesn't matter about the actual race. Just the thrill of the beast hauling ars!

this ^

but there's an occasional idiot that doesn't know any better that i like to play with. they floor it and i go real easy on the throttle, stay even with them up until 8k rpm or so.. you know for that 5 seconds that you're sandbagging they're thinking 'i'm as fast as this bike!!' .. then wot and hopefully they'll realize what an idiot they were.

How to Use the Apostrophe in Your Writing

This is one of the most common problems people have with punctuation - the dreaded apostrophe ...

This poor little pet is the most abused punctuation mark in the language, and it's a dear little thing when you get to know it - all it wants to do is to please.

It only has TWO functions to perform and they're both straightforward, but still it gets pushed in where it doesn't belong or left out of where it wants to be.

Let's take a moment to sort this out once and for all ... and don't forget to get your Apostrophe FAQ while you're here!

Just when do you use an apostrophe?

1. Use the Apostrophe to show OMISSION

What's a nice kid like me doing in a place like this?

We started with two words, what and is, but because this is informal writing, we want to express it informally, so we omit a letter from the word is. Because we're well brought up little Vegemites (remember?), we let people know what we've done.

I could've danced all night ... (could have, not could 'of')

It's time for breakfast (It is time ...)

It's been raining all day. (It has been raining ...)

So, in future whenever you see an apostrophe, make a conscious effort to work out what the original word was before the letter was omitted. Sometimes, as in the case of could've and would've, more than one letter has been omitted.

This will establish good habits and alert you to the role of the apostrophe.

2. Use the Apostrophe to show POSSESSION

We went to Marmaduke's restaurant for dinner. (Marmaduke owns the restaurant; it is the restaurant of Marmaduke.)

Notice how the apostrophe comes at the end of the noun (Marmaduke) and is accompanied by the letter 's' - a bit like a chaperone.

We knew whom to blame for the missing pie; there was cream all over the dog's whiskers!

We're only referring to one dog and it owns the whiskers (and the pie and a very satisfied smile, no doubt).

Some words sound awkward when an apostrophe 's' is added:

Jesus's disciples.

The accepted form here is to just use the 's' apostrophe:

Jesus' disciples.

N.B. This only applies to names of Biblical or historical significance e.g. Jesus, Moses, Zeus, Demosthenes, Ramses ... the rest of us whack in the apostrophe and add an 's.'

Moses' followers, Zeus' priests, Demosthenes' teachings, Ramses' pyramid

Others don't have the same clumsy sound:

The princess's chair.

The important thing is to be consistent in your use of the form - nothing is writ in stone!

Using the Apostrophe with Plural Nouns

Confusion arises when the apostrophe is used with a plural noun.

At the zoo, the children were most interested in seeing the lions' den.

More than one lion owns the den, so we add the apostrophe after the 's' (this is the den of the lions).

So, the general rule is:

if there's one owner - add an apostrophe and then 's'
if there are two or more owners - add 's' then an apostrophe.
Exceptions to the Rules about Apostrophes

However, (and of course you're not surprised to hear this, are you?), there are exceptions to this rule.

For words which form their plural by changing internal letters (instead of adding 's'), the apostrophe comes before the 's'.

It was the children's turn to wash up.

Children is already a plural word, so we don't need to make it doubly plural by adding 's' apostrophe; however, we do need to indicate the idea of ownership, so we use apostrophe 's'.

Some other words which follow this rule are: men, women, people.

How to Use the Apostrophe with Double Possession

When you have 'double possession' - when two or more people (or subjects) own one item and both (or all) of their names are mentioned, the apostrophe is applied only to the second (or last) name.

We had coffee at Ermintrude and Marmaduke's mansion.

When you're using names that end in -S, you follow the same rules as with any other name and add apostrophe S:
Chris's car, Bridget Jones's Diary.

Plural names also follow the same rules:
Bill Thomas's car; the Thomases' new house (add -es to names that end in S to indicate plural form).

Using the Apostrophe with Expressions of Time
The apostrophe is also used with many expressions of time (to show that the time period owns the other noun):

an hour's time; a year's holiday

When NOT to Use the Apostrophe

BUT notice that we do not use the apostrophe with possessive pronouns (remember, these are the little guys who step in and lend a paw to nouns).

After dinner at Marmaduke's restaurant, we went back to his place for coffee.

The bird's feathers were ruffled. (The bird owns the feathers.)

The bird ruffled its feathers. (The bird owns the feathers, but the pronoun its is being used instead of the noun, so there is NO apostrophe.

You'll see it's and its used incorrectly nearly every single day and in places where it should never happen. An easy way to make sure you never confuse the two is to ask yourself (do this quietly, you don't want to alarm those around you), if the words it is can be substituted in the sentence- if the answer is yes, then whack in the old apostrophe.

If the answer is no, then sit on your hands so you won't be tempted.

The bird ruffled its (it is?) feathers. (NO)

It's (it is?) a lovely day. (YES)

Tips for Using the Apostrophe Correctly

To summarise, here is a good way to check if you need an apostrophe - for future reference:

If you can substitute the use of "of" then you use the apostrophe.

e.g. This is Marmaduke's house ... it is the house of Marmaduke.

The children's mother phoned ... the mother of the children phoned.

Three months' work ... the work of three months.

Nazi.jpg

Most just want to see you gas the bike but there are a few properly setup cars that will give a stock BUSA a spanking. Lets be honest, the majority of people on here don't even race there BUSA's so it's only a matter of time before they bite off more than they can chew... :poke:

that was really helpful. i always wondered about it's & its. possesive pronoun.. now i know.

can you straighten people out on there, their, they're ..? and where were we're ?? that drives me nuts when people mix those up. to, two & too also.

:whistle:

oh btw..

I saw a lady on T.V. She was born without arms. Literally, she was born with her hands attached to her shoulders... and that was sad, but then they said, "Lola does not know the meaning of the word 'can't.'" And that to me was kinda worse... in a way... ya know? Not only does she not have arms, but she doesn't understand simple contractions. It's very simple, Lola, you just take two words, you put them together, then you take out the middle letter, you put a comma in there and you raise it up!

--mitch hedberg

oh btw..

I saw a lady on T.V. She was born without arms. Literally, she was born with her hands attached to her shoulders... and that was sad, but then they said, "Lola does not know the meaning of the word 'can't. [...]'"
--mitch hedberg

Yeah, but she can't wipe her... you know... That'd be a pretty rough way to live.

Some of you guys have WAY too much time on your hands :drink: .
You need to go RIDE :rudolph:

Back