Check Your Tire Pressure Gauges

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
I recently bought this gauge from Walmart to keep on the bike and take with me on rides. The first time I used it, it showed that my front tire only had 22 PSI! I tried a few other gauges and they all showed 34 PSI on the same tire. We all know that 12 PSI can easily be the difference between cornering and crashing.

If I followed this gauge and ran at factory spec pressure, that would put me up to 54 PSI, and probably on the ground at some point.

It'd be a good idea for everybody to take an extra minute and check your gauge for proper calibration. :thumbsup:

IMG_1693.jpg

Good reminder, I have a digital I carry in my truck because most wont go to 60psi, but I carry the pen type on my bike. Wonder how accurate those are.

Yeah, happened to me too, but mine was opposite. Mine would read 40 PSI and only be 20. Didn't catch at the time, but man that bike handles so much better with the correct preasure.

Good reminder, I have a digital I carry in my truck because most wont go to 60psi, but I carry the pen type on my bike. Wonder how accurate those are.

I have one of those giant, semi-style pen gauges for my truck. Factory spec on it is 60F/80R. It seems pretty accurate, but digital would be something to look into...

I have one that looks similar to yours bought from Cycle Gear for $20.
Against what would you check it's accuracy against ?

I have one that looks similar to yours bought from Cycle Gear for $20.
Against what would you check it's accuracy against ?

I just compared it to several others that were around the house. They all showed about the same number.

Good Thread! Good Advise!

I actually know a guy who crashed due to his guage being off. He hit the track with 12 pounds of pressure. Crashed on the first lap!

I always keep two guages so I can test them against each other peroidically! I also test them against the high dollar guages the tire vendor has at the track.

I had a similar looking one that I got from Target. I used it on my truck before realizing the thing was under stating the PSI by 20 psi. Now I don't trust any one single gauge. :beerchug:

k I have a slight dilemma.

I bought 3 different gauges and gave me 4 different result! :banghead:

I bought 2 different digital gauge made by Slime and 2 pepboys pencil type gauge

2 pencil gauge were 3 psi off of each other and the 2 digital gauge were 5 psi off.

all are off!

what the hell?! I dont know what to use!!:laugh:
I had an Accu-guage but I dropped it and broke the needle

:moon:

Besides carrying a pen type gauge, I have this (please see pic below) at home and always use it before heading out.

Also, I always put the bike on the stands after each ride and made it a habit to inspect both tires for nails, cracks, wear or anything to make sure I'm safe and ready for the next ride. Not to mention Pledging the wheels to make sure they're shiny and dust free for the next outing.:laugh:

84000?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0.jpg

Excellent point. I bought a somewhat expensive gauge with a relief valve to easily adjust the pressure, but who knows? Anyone have a recommendation for a good gauge?

Do you think riding with a guage in the trunk of the bike could possible mess up the calibration?

Best gauge is a GOOD pencil gauge. A bike magazine tested several gauges and found that result.

A while back when my bike slid out in the front I found that my pencil gauge was off also. It was 15 lbs off. A friend of mine has a Harley gauge and we checked it with a lot of other things and it was dead on. I am glad I found that mine was bad.

A while back when my bike slid out in the front I found that my pencil gauge was off also. It was 15 lbs off. A friend of mine has a Harley gauge and we checked it with a lot of other things and it was dead on. I am glad I found that mine was bad.

Who woulda thunk it?:laugh:

A high quality tire gauge isa must when owning a bike!:rulez: Just like you I have been burned in the past by cheapie tire gauges. I try to go to shop that road races cars for a living and get what they are using. Usually like a 50 to 70 dollar tire gauge seems to be darn accurate! I know its pricey, but your tires and you depend on it!:race:

Back