Forgive and forget

Speed King

Banned
Sometimes i wonder how some can forget and forgive soo easy.
I have a thing, if you cant forget, you cant forgive.

Mother, Son's Killer Unite To Help Others Heal - wcco.com
Mother, Son's Killer Unite To Help Others Heal
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ―

It is a story of forgiveness and a desire to help others. A Minnesota woman lost her only child to gun violence, but she's partnered with the man who killed him.

They're hoping to promote forgiveness and healing in a community where violence has become all too common.

At first glance, the love and respect Mary Johnson has for Oshea Israel is obvious.

"I see a young, black, intelligent young man who that's trying to do what's right. I see my son," said Mary Johnson.

But it wasn't always like this.

"It used to be hatred, totally hatred," said Johnson.

In 1993, when he was 16 years old, Israel shot her only child, 20-year-old Laramuin Byrd in the head during a house party in the Twin Cities.

"Even though I was a Christian woman I was full of hatred. I wanted the worst for him and the worst was going to prison for the rest of his life. I saw him as an animal and that he should be caged," said Johnson.

After 12 years of pain and resentment, she went to visit Israel in prison.

"God changed my heart. He delivered and set me free the day that Oshea and I met in 2005," Johnson said.

That meeting sparked a partnership that has put them on a journey of hope and healing.

"I know every day is a new day, a new beginning, every moment, the now, is anew for me to go ahead and propel myself forward," said Oshea Israel.

Now, Israel and Johnson take their story of reconciliation and healing to churches, schools and community groups locally and across the country.

"They see the victim and they see the offender. So it's right there in your face," said Israel.

Johnson's group, From Death to Life, counsels mothers who lost children to violence.

A welcome home celebration for Israel is just another way From Death to Life is building bridges, connecting victim with offender and helping them come to terms with their past so there is a future for all.

"Being out here now and forgiving myself is becoming more easy, because if I stay hitched to it, I would never get past it," said Israel.

Israel has lots of support.

Johnson and his biological mother have a relationship and they are both sharing in helping him get used to life outside of prison

Good for them...

But not me only way a murderer could prove to me he was truly sorry is to put a bullet in his own head. If he did it then I would believe he was sincere and forgive him.

we are supposed to turn the other cheek...and truely if these folks effect even one individual to stop the violence then there are many other lives effected.

Bible also says 'an eye for an eye' and some things should not be forgotten nor forgiven .
I'd kill him myself silently from 1000 yards away the day he walked out !

Back