Antivirus Help

tmf2004

Registered
While i was on vacation i received a phone call from my credit card company telling me my CC had unauthorized purchases.. Someone got a hold of my number and charged 1k worth of stuff.

Its taken care of but i currently run MCafee on the computer.. Is there anything that is better or that i can add for better protection?

Thanks

McAfee or Norton are two of the top ones out there, likely your computer wasn't compromised as someone took a credit card receipt at a bar or store and reused the info. Only 1k either the card company caught and stopped it instantly or it was a newbie at stealing credit cards. I've heard horror stories from coworkers who have had 10-15k run up in 2hrs before the card company caught/stopped it. :banghead:

McAfee or Norton are two of the top ones out there, likely your computer wasn't compromised as someone took a credit card receipt at a bar or store and reused the info. Only 1k either the card company caught and stopped it instantly or it was a newbie at stealing credit cards. I've heard horror stories from coworkers who have had 10-15k run up in 2hrs before the card company caught/stopped it. :banghead:

Thanks, That was my theory.. but i only use the card for online purchases and thats it.. Thanks :thumbsup:

Online purchase data can be mined from the sellers data base. Been plenty of hacks done like that.

Like ace said. I doubt its anything you've done wrong. Unless you've been talking to nigerians. Itunes got hacked a while back and they got peoples info that had a card on file. Never save cards to file and always check and double check sites and emails for phonies.

I can't stand norton. Its the most error prone and annoying setup I've ever used. I haven't used mcaffee in a long time. There is another name that's upcoming the people really praise. Can't remember the name but maybe someone can help you out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Norton is the worst.... Norton 360 to be exact... I have cleared that application off more machines to make them run right then I can count... It's too invasive and uses too many resources....

If your looking for some decent protection for free then AVG or Avast are good choices... You can upgrade to a paid version on both which offer other types of protection. If you think you might have malware or Ransomware then Malwarebytes super anti spyware is a good app to use in connection with your antivirus programs....

I am now certified as a PCI Security Manager and I have seen the gamut on hacks and credit card fraud... As Ace said most card numbers are compromised from a business database not necessarily from your computer or your browser experience... Why go after one card at a time on personal computers when you can get 200,000 at a time....

Never use links from email to go to a site to enter a username or password, credit card number or personal information. If you are sent an email from your bank or a company requesting that you check your account or action needs to be taken, never never never click the link.... Open your browser and go to your bank or the business as you normally would any other day, open a browser and type it on or click from your favorites..... Again, never from an email........

cap

Doug, what do you think about Symantec Endpoint? It and Macafee are what DoD uses...and offers free to Soldiers :thumbsup:

Malwarebytes

Run the free version once a week or as desired. Always update it before you run it.

Keep whatever anti-virus program you are using. Now a days they all pretty much give same protection as long as you keep them updated to current versions.

A good free program is AVG.

Like Cap gave a couple examples. Being aware of what not to do will be your best protection. There is always someone writing virus/Trojan's forcing the anti-virus companies to update to try to stay ahead of the game.

While back Sweet Bay grocery stores had their database hacked. Was an ugly sight at the bank that morning that I had to go to for different business reasons.

For online purchases I use a separate account that only get enough $$ in it when I need to order something. Plenty of banks offer free accounts with no minimum balance.

Back