Gun buyers beware

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I want to mention that scams not only happen with bikes but also seems to be going on with more frequency with guns .
Folks from gun sites are alot more trusting due to the 'good ole boy mentality' and many have sent money recently and not received the gun.
I have many times sent thousands to one I do not know based simply on an ad. Always gotten the gun and never been taken but now on several sites there are warnings of scammers ripping folks off. It seems the scammers are realizing the gun crowd is full of easy targets.
Two weeks ago I was incom with a guy who supposedly had a Natl Match M1a new in box for sale . He sent me pics , many ! We went back and forth for several emails and I was oh so close to sending him the cash until I saw an ad from owner of site saying 'look out , do not buy this gun!'
It was same gun ! He has already collected from four others on same site at $1400 a pop. Gun was also listed on Gunbroker as well as AuctionArms and Sturmgewehr.com . Each ad had different names and emails.
So look out as it's all but impossible to determine if a gun is really in the possession of the one who says it's for sale . According to ATF is there is not a gun than it's not a firearm related event and just simple theft which makes it very difficult to settle . If your looking at buying something have seller take the gun to whatever licensed FFL it is who will be transferring it to you , get a copy of their FFL and call them to validate it's a real item and in their possession . Then an only then should you send payment .

Now I should also mention that many believe this to be an effort to curtail internet traffic and sales of firearms by the govt . If whoever or whatever agency is doing this causes enough of a fear atmosphere then they can cut down the traffic significantly .

It was a matter of time. Scammers had better be careful though, these are the kind of guys that will expend a lot of effort to hunt you down....

Its everywhere guys, theres posts everyday over on the cumminsforum and some others i frequent people not getting what they paid for, it sucks you think you can trust someone else but its just not there. I personally would rather pay a little more money locally or to a ma and pap place than do business over the internet its gotten that bad

I just received a check for $4500 from someone on a one line ad I placed with zero pics. It is just a trust kinda of thing that is unique to the gun culture. But now folks are more apprehensive about the whole thing.
I have done over 100 transactions all based on trust and the guy two weeks ago almost got me. he posted the same pics on four diff sites all with diff email addresses and diff names. I would email and ask back for a diff pic of a diff angle and he obliged but it turns out he was just savvy and using pics he saved from an older auction.

Good lookin out Saiid.:thumbsup:

FFL dealers and seperate calls are the only way to go. We need to think of these transactions as if it was banking. To many scammers out there now, everywhere!!

Yep!

Many reasons really but this is a big one why I will NEVER buy a used gun online from an individual....NEVER!

Well then your missing out cuz the gun I sold for $4500 I bought about two months ago for $3000 :)
You can buy a gun from GunsAmerica which is mostly a west coast site and list it on Gunbroker mostly a east coast site and make a very nice profit.

remind me not to buy a "good deal" from you saiid lol

Chris I started that auction at $1000 dollars and it ended at $4489 . Wasn't my asking price but toward the end a few let their ego get in the way and it turned into a bidding war . I just sat back and refreshed the screen and watched it climb. Can't blame me :)

And if your curious what kind of gun it was heres a pic.
It was a 5.8 million (serial#) as new unfired Springfield Armory collector Grade M1 Garand with certificate from the CMP.

colrt.jpg

dubbed cert.JPG

Last edited:
Chris I started that auction at $1000 dollars and it ended at $4489 . Wasn't my asking price but toward the end a few let their ego get in the way and it turned into a bidding war . I just sat back and refreshed the screen and watched it climb. Can't blame me :)

And if your curious what kind of gun it was heres a pic.
It was a 5.8 million (serial#) as new unfired Springfield Armory collector Grade M1 Garand with certificate from the CMP.

Very nice, but would lose alot of value if fired - and if I can't shoot it, i don't want it :)

Bought me a nice shotgun last week (Beretta X400 Explor Kickoff 12GA) :):thumbsup:

Thats why I have another HRA collector Garand that I do shoot..:)
Selling price of other almost made this one free.

HRA2.jpg

Well then your missing out cuz the gun I sold for $4500 I bought about two months ago for $3000 :)
You can buy a gun from GunsAmerica which is mostly a west coast site and list it on Gunbroker mostly a east coast site and make a very nice profit.

To much room for scams/error/crap and I don't mess around when dealing with weapons. Then again, when someone comes knocking on your door asking questions, maybe you'll feel differently down the road. To me it's not worth a measly $1-2k, have fun while it's working for you... ;)

To much room for scams/error/crap and I don't mess around when dealing with weapons. Then again, when someone comes knocking on your door asking questions, maybe you'll feel differently down the road. To me it's not worth a measly $1-2k, have fun while it's working for you... ;)

No questions to be asked ?
All go thru FFL in and out . All are transferred thru FFL with proper calls and forms filed.
All are 100% legal and it's not illegal to turn a gun and make a profit .
If I traffic in numerous weapons per month with express intent of immediately turning them around for a profit then yes ATF may insist I get my own FFL but one or two every now and then is 100% ok.

But point of thread is and I do agree with you that there are many opps for scams to take place so just be careful .

Back