Helmet Law

TDawg

Registered
I live and Im from Indiana, we have no helmet law here. How many other states have no helmet law?

gotta be 21 here in TX and carry "I THINK" $10k in insurance that covers a M/C accident.
I personally think helmets as well as seat belts should be optional for adults.

It's mandatory up here in Canada, and for a good reason... but that's another can of worms for another time! :whistle:

Florida, the law requires that all riders younger than 21 years wear helmets, without exception. Those 21+ may ride without helmets only if they can show proof that they are covered by a medical insurance policy.

I'd like to see real stats on how injuries and the severity of injuries compare in states w/ laws vs. those without. When I took my safety course, one stat our instructor gave was that there are more accidents on sport bikes, but more injuries and deaths on cruisers. She said it's because sport bikes go faster but the riders usually wear gear and cruiser rides usually don't.

Personally, I think it should be personal choice - and if you choose not to wear one, you're the one who pays higher insurance premiums....not me. I also think it's foolish and stupid not to wear a helmet.

I'm also in Texas and if I recall at the MSF course they said that if you complete the MSF course, then you can apply for some sort of supplemental permit card that permits you to ride without a helmet.

I'll just put it out there that I think anybody who rides without one is absolutely nuts. I know a guy who was blown off a scooter by a gust of wind while trolling round his neighborhood at almost no speed and still ended up with his jaw almost broken off and then wired up for a good while. It's just not worth it.

Personally I don't care how hot or uncool it is, it's always helmet, boots, armored gloves and dayglo armored jacket for me.

I am kinda glad it's not required, I always wear my helmet but when I am at biker events an the traffic is stop an go or a dam parking lot for hours, any one that has been Daytona Beach for bikeweek an ridden through Main St knows what I mean:whistle: I take the lid off till I get through it an traffic flows again.

Last edited:
I am kinda glad it's not required, I always wear my helmet but when I am at biker events an the traffic is stop an go or a dam parking lot for hours, any one that has been Daytona Beach for bikeweek an ridden through Main St knows what I mean:whistle: I take the lid off till I get through it an traffic flows again.

Though I wasnt on a bike, but i know what you mean by traffic there. In FL I didnt used to wear helmet inside city. But in NY its the law. The other day I rode my bike on parking lot without my jacket, and to be honest, i kinda felt naked, as I'm so used to wearing gears now.

I agree in summer sometimes its kinda pain to wear helmet and gears, specially when traffic is crawling. But it's not only safer to wear gears, but also comfortable (IMO) on highways.

Though I wasnt on a bike, but i know what you mean by traffic there. In FL I didnt used to wear helmet inside city. But in NY its the law. The other day I rode my bike on parking lot without my jacket, and to be honest, i kinda felt naked, as I'm so used to wearing gears now.

I agree in summer sometimes its kinda pain to wear helmet and gears, specially when traffic is crawling. But it's not only safer to wear gears, but also comfortable (IMO) on highways.

Agreed :thumbsup:

I personally wear gear.

Arent there a few states that dont require helmets and dont require mc riders to carry insurance? Im thinking florida, could be wrong

That is nuts, guess the ol taxpayer gets to foot the bill when he breaks open his melon

I personally wear gear.

Arent there a few states that dont require helmets and dont require mc riders to carry insurance? Im thinking florida, could be wrong

That is nuts, guess the ol taxpayer gets to foot the bill when he breaks open his melon

We are not required to wear helmets but to do so you are required to have insurance. If you wear a helmet you don't have to have insurance on your bike.

No need for helmet if you're 18 or older in KS. Personally, I always wear mine.

Here in KC, you'll see a lot of riders "carrying" a helmet on the KS side. But once one crosses into MO, helmets are required. So you'll see riders off to the side of the road on the KS side...putting on helmets (or usually a skid lid)...and ride on into MO.

Helmet Laws :rofl: , don't people realize that's natures way of cleaning up the Gene Pool :laugh:

Wow I thought it was a federal law that you must have insurance to be on the road on a motorcycle or automobile. Here in Indiana you must have insurance, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

None in Colorado either....

However....to each his own but I HAD a coworker (recently purchased his first bike) disregard my advice to buy gear and went down in a tight corner less than a block from his house, in the rain, doing less than 10mph (goosed the throttle). He spent 2+hrs laying unconscious in the street from 2a-4:30am (no street lights either so he's lucky he wasn't run over....would have been had it not been a very quiet street), lost his job because his doctor would not release him for work due to a nasty infection in his eye (wasn't employed for over a year quite yet to use FMLA), had to sell the bike for 1/4 of what he paid for it BECAUSE he lost his job and was desperate for money, and is now sporting a very lovely scar from about 2" above his left eye which includes half his eyebrow missing all the way down to his lower cheek as well as designer road rash on both knees, left hip, right inside elbow and left outer arm. Anyone that thinks helmets and gear are overrated are seriously kidding themselves in the whole skin vs. asphalt debate. This was under 10 mph sliding on WET pavement.....another 20-30mph which is the range a lot of riding is done in could have been a lot worse!

Helmet Laws :rofl: , don't people realize that's natures way of cleaning up the Gene Pool :laugh:

And +1!! :D

:stirpot:to each his own, i guess:whistle:

i have a problem with safety laws.

:poke: and why is it against the law to wear a helmet in a car?

"it's all about the money boys!"
Cyclops in Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

Back