computer question

ResidentEvil

Registered
Somebody gave me a laptop with no hard drive in it,so can I just go to Comp USA, and buy another one, put it in and all is well ?or do I have to buy Windows as well and install it too?

Yessir. Once you get the HD put it, whether you buy a copy or get a copy from someone else, you'll need to load Windows.

You will also need to go online looking for any device drivers that may not be covered by windows to make sure everything works.

or you can explore the world of open-source software and install a linux flavor. I recommend Ubuntu for the uninitiated.

If the laptop has the Windows activation code sticker on the bottom of it you can use anybody's windows disk and just enter your code as long as its the same version of windows.

1) make sure it is new enough to spend money on and the ram has not been robbed.
2) Most laptops use a caddy to hold the hard drive. If the caddy is gone you'll have to find a replacement to go with the hard drive.
3) If it has a windows sticker, the windows software will have to be the same version and type. Version XP, XP pro, Vista etc. Type should be OEM, but even some OEMs are manufacturer dependent. There are also Retail and Select versions which use a different key.

plus on the linux flavors, you can run what they call virtual machines (can do it on any OS really). If you set it up, you can get an image of windows and essentially have your linux OS and windows running on the same hardware. Pretty handy if you need MS only apps and its pretty easy to setup too :beerchug: (heck MS even gives you a free XP image with Windows 7 and its pretty handy :thumbsup:)

Back