Ebay users beware of message containing virus !?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I recieved this email this morning from Ebay :

From User:mike36454 (30
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
100.0% Positive FeedbackMember since 26-Jun-05 in United StatesLocation: MI, United StatesActivity with mike36454 (last 90 days): I have bid on 0 items from mike36454
Activity with mike36454 (last 90 days): mike36454 has bid on 1 of my items

Dear (left out)@msn.com,

I payed you and you didn`t ship me the item .I have reported you to eBay and to the police ! You will not get away with this .I`ll find you if it`s the last thing i do !!!

- mike36454

Now usually there is a 'respond now' tab directly to the right of the above and there was but what tipped me is my 'msn.com' address is no longer the email I use for Ebay and also I havent sold anything there in a very long time.
It looks legit and seems legit but I am sure had I clicked 'respond now' bad things would have happened to my computer.
To confirm I signed into Ebay and what do you know NO MESSAGES !
This one came out of the blue from somewhere else.

SO IF YOU DO A LOT OF EBAYING AND RECIEVE A MSSG LIKE THE ABOVE DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT CLICK ON RESPOND NOW IN YOUR EMAIL WINDOW.
DELETE IT AND SIGN IN TO EBAY TO SEE IF MAYBE YOU REALLY DID FORGET TO SHIP SOMETHING AS THE MSSG SHOULD BE THERE AS WELL IF ITS GENUINE.

I have a mac and i dont get viruses :laugh:

Yes i just bragged. But i love macs and not having to worry about viruses, ever.

I have a mac and i dont get viruses :laugh:

Yes i just bragged. But i love macs and not having to worry about viruses, ever.

They are still out there, just not as common....just warning ya...im a mac as well....my wifes mac DID get a virus..there are very few people who are mac benevolents who like to cause hate and discontent with us DIFFERENT people...but yeah...its nice not having to worry so much :thumbsup:

I just got one from paypal, if I had logged in using that link, I guess they would have my info, so I went and logged in on my own and it was a scam.

Dear member,

This email confirms that you have paid paypal@creative.com $423.98 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *CREATIVE".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

Purchased From:creative.labs

Item # Item Title Quantity $399.99 USD $399.99 USD

Shipping & Handling via USPS First Class Mail to 154XX
(includes any seller handling fees) --
Shipping Insurance (optional): --
Sales Tax (6.000% inPA) : $23.99 USD

Total: $423.98 USD
Note:Thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping Information

Shipping Info: Wayne E Bakewell
16 elm st
Brownsville, PA 15417
United States

Address Status: Confirmed

If you have questions about the shipping and tracking of your purchased item or service, please contact the seller paypal@creative.com.

Do you confirm this transaction?

If this transaction was not made by you please immediately take the following steps:

Login to your account by clicking on the link below
Provide requested information to ensure you are the owner of the account
Find this transaction in HISTORY and click 'Cancel Transaction'

CANCEL TRANSACTION!

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PayPal Email ID PP843

I have had a windows based PC for almost 20yrs and only one time did I ever get a 'whatever' it was that wrecked my pc and that was actually a laptop.
If your cautious and dont jump on it you will be fine with both.
Strangely though first was with 'Hotmail' and now this with 'MSN' .
Other email addresses I have dont and never get things like this ?

How they get you is with a challenge that riles you up and makes you forget to think straight. Both cases above do that. Mine...'I paid and you didnt ship' that gets you going.
Other one...'You made a pyment and 400 something bucks is gonna be charged' also gets you going.
First thing you wanna do is click the link they provide to 'respond' or 'challenge'
DONT DO IT !

Thanks for the head ups.. Unfortunately I've been a victim of the ebay scam a few years ago, I replied back to an email and next thing i knew i was selling a car i didn't even have.. Ebay was great at resolving the issue but i was nervous as hell hoping the auction wouldn't end. Had to change my password and so forth..

Also my Paypal account has been compromised as someone got a hold of my password..

Paypal resolved the issue, had to change my password and also every time i log in i have a card that looks like credit card that has a code. The code is different after every log in..

Be careful..

I use LINUX here, so I don't worry about viruses and malware, but it's good that you brought our attention to it.!!
I too have received an occasional email like that, but I just right click "DELETE".!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up. It was a good thing you took the time to actually read the email and conclude it was a scam. Too many people see these and automatically just click them without stopping and using common sense. (I work in the IT world, so this is a mini vent :laugh:)

Back