Internet phone?

jeff355

Donating Member
Registered
I know theres hundreds out there, but Id like to get rid of my house phone, and my home isp. Which phone or contraption can do both best? I have no clue when it comes to this stuff and any help would be great. Im thinking, I might be able to save a few buck with an all in one deal. I would like to make calls and surf the web, I cant go without the org !

The only way I can think of being able to get internet without an internet service provider would be to go through a cellular phone provider. Some smartphones have the ability to be tethered, which means you can use it to provide the internet signal and simply connect it to your computer via USB. Money-wise, I'm sure you'll save something...but the speed and the ability to connect more than one computer are possible issues. If it's just you...it may not be too bad. Keep in mind that you're still going to have to have a plan that offers unlimited internet, which can sometimes be the higher priced plans.
I have a Verizon Wireless card for work that allows me to get internet from anywhere. I don't complain because it's free, but it is kind of slow.

Depending on where you live, the new Sprint EVO serves as a great phone / internet device and also functions as a router. You can enable the phones hotspot and have up to eight devices connected to it. I have used it with two connected and have had no issues. (The hotspot feature is 30 bucks / month.)

I have not had the phone in a 4G area yet, but have been very satisfied even on the 3G network.

My two cents..

There are a couple of cell phones that can either tether (allow you to use you cell phone as a modem connected usb to your computer) or act as a wireless hub for multiple computers in your home. Data usage is the big question/issue as most cell providers have gone away from Unlimited Data...

i use magic jack...20 a year cant beat that with a dead stick...im a gamer so computers stay on anyway...occasional call dumps and lately real bad cutting out but i think that has to do with my isp

The iphone in my opinion is the best phone on the market. It can solve both of your problems. It's a mini computer and great phone. You can also get a jailbreak application that will actually make the phone serve as a wifi, all you need is either a laptop or wireless adapter for your home computer.

You also have verizons droid x or the droid 2. Both 3g but very fast 3g for some reason. The droid 2 comes out next month. both will be wifi hotspots, but no word weather the droid 2 is lte capable yet.

As soon as Android 2.2 goes live on most current Android phones then they will all have the option for tethering. The 'privelage' will however cost you $20 / month. Consider running a basic DSL package if you can get one without phone service or even Roadrunner lite at ~$25 / month and then adding Vonage.

I have been using Vonage since 2004 and as long as you get decent hardware and never have to deal with tech support, their service is great! ~$26 for unlimited calling (even international) + every AT&T feature or ~$10 for 200 minutes per month.

Back