Founder of Harbor Freight tools sues CEO Son

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Interesting:

-------------------
CAMARILLO, Calif. — The founder of Harbor Freight Tools is suing his son, whom he accuses of kicking him off of the board of directors, having him locked out of headquarters and looting the company to finance a lavish lifestyle that includes a $46 million Beverly Hills mansion.

The lawsuit is the culmination of an increasingly bitter family feud over control of the Camarillo-based imported-tool seller, which has 7,400 employees nationwide.

Allan Smidt, 81, founded the business in 1968 and his son, Eric, is chief executive officer.

The lawsuit, filed by Smidt and his wife last week in Los Angeles County, contends their son persuaded them to turn over control of the company in 1999 but then reneged on promises to let his father have the final say on major business decisions and to pay him $2.5 million a year for his services.

According to the lawsuit, Eric Smidt explained that he hadn't made the past two payments because the company was "going through bad times."

"Eric's looting of the company substantially contributed to any such bad times" and made it hard to keep inventory on the shelves, the lawsuit contends.

According to the lawsuit, Eric Smidt heavily leveraged the company by taking out more than $500 million in loans, then damaged it by using some of the money for extravagances such as a $20 million Manhattan apartment and the purchase of a painting for $100 million.

One alleged purchase was The Knoll, a 13-bedroom mansion in Beverly Hills formerly owned by celebrities including singer Kenny Rogers and late billionaire Marvin Davis that Eric Smidt reportedly bought for $46 million.

The lawsuit also contends that the younger Smidt fired several longtime executives and kicked his father off the board of directors. The father claims that in May, his son had the company's new chief operating officer walk him out of the company's headquarters. The executive, Robert W. Rene, allegedly told him, "Don't come back."

"Family disagreements are never pleasant, but this lawsuit is incredibly sad. The assertions in the complaint are completely unfounded and they will be addressed in due course," the company said in a statement Monday. "None of this will affect the business or continued success of Harbor Freight Tools."

The lawsuit alleges fraud, breach of trust, undue influence, negligent misrepresentation, misappropriation of assets, breach of contract and elder abuse. It seeks unspecified damages.

The company has said it plans to move to Calabasas in neighboring Los Angeles County this year because it has had strong growth — including adding more than 600 jobs in the past year — and needs more office space.

Same thing happened at U-Haul.

Perfect example why we should drown our children in the bathtub before their 10th birthday!

Just kidding! Just kidding!

I hate to see the old boy who built the company ousted by his ungrateful kid! Goes to show you just never know how your kids will turn out!

Perfect example why we should drown our children in the bathtub before their 10th birthday!

I hate to see the old boy who built the company ousted by his ungrateful kid! Goes to show you just never know how your kids will turn out!

Can't tell how he was brought up or what kind of family life he had, how many sons here would treat their fathers way ??? Why wouldn't we ???

Not defending him seems like he is an idiot who is going to bankrupt the company he better learn to live a different life style when he does. 20 million dollar apartment sheesh!!!!

Ungrateful and greedy if you ask me. If his father didn't start that company his life would be a whole different story. I grew up in a wealthy family, but I had to work for what I wanted. I had a paper route when I was 11 to 14 and then worked in various places the rest of my teenage years until attending college. This is unfortunate because I believe it gives kids the wrong impression when everything is handed to them. Nowadays it seems kids want something for nothing instead of having to work for it.

It's kind of the running theme anymore. One person's greed can ruin it for several. I'd love to know what the breaking point is for the typical person when they go from being pleasantly content (yet still aggressive), to f#*k it...I GOTTA HAVE IT ALL! Materialism (materialistic)...a person's quickest downfall.

Ungrateful and greedy if you ask me. If his father didn't start that company his life would be a whole different story. I grew up in a wealthy family, but I had to work for what I wanted. I had a paper route when I was 11 to 14 and then worked in various places the rest of my teenage years until attending college. This is unfortunate because I believe it gives kids the wrong impression when everything is handed to them. Nowadays it seems kids want something for nothing instead of having to work for it.

preach brother, preach!!

Perhaps. On the other hand, a child tends to live by what they learn early in life. So, this could easily be a case of poor parenting comin' back to bite them in the butt.

Hopefully karma takes care of whatever business needs doin'.

This was all about not raising bratty kids; i'll bet the Dad wishes differently right now...

My daughter (9) was at my dad's yesterday. She made a little cloth purse for craft-time. My dad pulled some money out because he wanted to be the first one to put money in it, and my daughter was hesitant to accept it "It's ok Grandpa, I'm doing fine"...I was very proud of her, as most kids these days would DEMAND money (I've seen it). My daughter has a savings account at the bank, and if she wants something, she has to consider if she wants to take money out of it for the purchase.

Same problem for Price Club, now Costco. The owner, Saul Price, had many problems with his sons over the business. I believe he ended up giving them enough money to do their own thing, which, in time, they pissed away.......

"Ask not what your Country can do for you..............but what can you do for your Country" :rulez:

Back