Must wear seatbelt but don't need a helmet , why ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Since June 2005 Florida went to mandatory seat belt usage for all cars .
From July 2000 Florida has not had a helmet law for motorcycles.

My question is :
Can anyone explain the logic of having to wear your seat belt in a car but not having to have a helmet on while riding bikes ?
What sense does that make ?

OK is the same way. i asked a OHP one time about that while i was getting a seat belt ticket. he said, "i dont write em just enforce them, but i understand what you mean".

Logic? Really?

Laws are for the idiots that can't decide if right is wrong, and can't get out of their own way!

But this is cool!

1200069524372.jpg

As of July 2009 they can now stop you simply for not wearing your seatbelt whereas before they had to stop you for something else and then notice no belt to write ticket .
I know it doesnt make sense but still why ?
Just silly .
'Click it or Ticket' is new law but still it's ok to smash your head on the road if you like ?
Just proof right there they don't really care about your safety but care about fund raising ?

As of July 2009 they can now stop you simply for not wearing your seatbelt whereas before they had to stop you for something else and then notice no belt to write ticket .
I know it doesnt make sense but still why ?
Just silly .
'Click it or Ticket' is new law but still it's ok to smash your head on the road if you like ?
Just proof right there they don't really care about your safety but care about fund raising ?

^this. weve had the law for a while. but i have only been stopped a couple time in 9yrs driving. and i drive alot 99% of the time without a seatbelt, as well as the wife. just be careful some of those seatbelt tickets are more than a diet speeding ticket. wifey got one in Minnesota and it was like 200. IIRC

It's $115 here and considered a non moving violation so most INS companies won't raise rates on you but still it just is silly where one is mandatory and the other isn't .

You midsection and chest are far more senstive to impact from a dashboard than your head is to a Lightpole??

Somethings just dont make sense brother

It's $115 here and considered a non moving violation so most INS companies won't raise rates on you but still it just is silly where one is mandatory and the other isn't .

they used to be 20 or so around here. heard they went up but dunno. i wasnt paying attention to how fast i was going the other day in the fam cage but got caught goin 80 in a 65:cheerleader::cheerleader:

GA made deatbelts a law years ago, As long as I can remember, you always had to wear a helmet. Hey, Move one state up so you can have logic.:thumbsup:

You midsection and chest are far more senstive to impact from a dashboard than your head is to a Lightpole??

Somethings just dont make sense brother

That's what's so funny . You could walk away from a fairly fast accident with no seat belt but even at very low speeds you can die from smacking your head on something while on a bike .

My only guess is it's out of fear of being sued by a person who may get injured by inflating airbag without seat belt on ? Newer cars , some , the airbags won't deploy if you don't have seat belt on but many on the road don't have this feature and you can get really hurt by airbag if your going forward while it's coming out , even more so than from the accident itself .

we just discussed this tonight at work...the answer is simple...here in pa you are only just now able to buy health coverage for yourself if you are on a motorcycle...not all inurance companys offer it and its at a high price...(and i was told...cant prove it.. you have to sign waver to wear a helmet) yes. in pa insurance companys do NOT have to cover you for your medical if you injure yourself on a bike. no cost to insurance companys... no lobbyist... no reason to care if you are wearing helmet or not. seat belt...yep they got to pay your health bill....so to reduce thier costs....lobbyist....seat belt law....

Last edited:
you almost got the entire picture Blanca, its about the Money AND control. the "we know what is best for you, crew". instill fear, and push laws in the name of saftey, all to make the almighty dollar. its not about saftey at all! if they really cared about saftey all vehicles would have rear faceing seats, and we would all go around armored and helmeted just to take the car to the store.
did you know???? it is against the law to wear a helmet while operating a car or truck in Wyoming. and get this..it impedes the drivers hearing and vison???
ever look up dumb laws? like you cant wear a duck as a helmet in minisota.:laugh:

i wear a helmet alot, and have been thinking about the helmet vs. no helmet debate alot. trying to come up with an explanation that dosent make cruzers out to be idots and atgatt fellas not such saftey pricks. is there a happy medium? for some no, thier either one or the other, while others glide between both worlds.

i donno buddy. i did notice the signs at the rest areas in florida exempt motorcycles from the seatbelt law. thought that was awful nice of them for not making me wear a belt on me bike:rofl:

OK is the same way. i asked a OHP one time about that while i was getting a seat belt ticket. he said, "i dont write em just enforce them, but i understand what you mean".

You should feel good about getting the seat belt ticket.
Many officers will not write them.
They could care less if you are killed. The officer writing the SB ticket cared about your safety.
so, the best way to avoid one in the future, get ya some billy bob teeth and after you are stopped, slip them on and act as ignorant as you possibly can imagine. No officer will write you a SB ticket. They will not want you to infect the world with your DNA. :rofl:

index.jpg

Funnier still you have to wear a helmet on a bicycle but not a motorcycle :laugh:

Yup, that's the way it is here in Dallas, all riders of any age must wear a helmet on a bicycle, but if you are over 21 and have taken a MSF riding course or carry 20K in personal injury protection no helmet is required for a motorcycle.

It is also illegal to wear a helmet in a car here.

It's all about the money... your chance of survial are much greater in a car, with or without a seatbelt, compared to a bike. Without a seat belt you will suffer more injuries, and lets face it, it's much cheaper for them to pay out a life insurance policy than to pay your hospital bills.

Though proven to drastically reduce the risk of injury, seat belts do save lives. I choose to wear one as I choose to wear a helmet. Explain to an incredibly astute and intelligent seven year old why she must and I don't wear a restraint while driving.
Seatbelt laws I understand, no helmet law or the choice to or not, I don't.

Seat belt law is a tool for law enforcement, gives them probable cause to pull you over to check for other things...

The seatbelt laws are in place becasue the Federal Government pays the States to do it. The Feds put passive restraint system requirements on the car manufacturers. As it turns out, the passive restraint (air bag) is more dangerous than not having any restraint system if you don't hit it dead center and/or hit it too fast. The seatbelt is needed to protect you from the air bag until its fully deployed and keep you on target. The seatbelt laws were put in place instead of having the car companies spend more money trying to engineer something that is truely passive. Lobying at its finest. The Federal Government isn't involved in motorcycle safety so the States handle helmet laws as they please.

and on top of all that you do not need insurance on your bike at all!!!! Floriduh is really dumb but I do live here:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back